Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Feb 4, 2014

Augie reviews Frank Miller/Todd McFarlane "Spawn/Batman"¬*- it's a lot of fighting. France has a winner and "The Fuse" is a promising new series!

Full article here.

I really think you give this book more praise than it deserves (not that you give it much).

" It works for what the readership at the time wanted."... I can't speak for others but I read it when it came out (and I was a HUGE Miller fan having grown up on his Daredevil) and thought it was garbage. It certainly did not give me what I wanted from a story by Frank Miller but it was a sign of what the future was to bring from him (horrible, horrible stuff). The only positive was McFarlane's art.
    "The most merciful thing in the world . . . is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
    H.P. Lovecraft

Just a dreadful comic. It is hurt all the more by stating that it "takes place in the same universe as "The Dark Knight Returns". The only thing cool about this comic was the fact that Mcfarlane kept Spawns shoelace stitch in for quite a while afterwards in the main continuity. I just wonder, if in another world Mcfarlane had paid Bendis what he was worth how Hellspawn would have went....alas.

Agreed that this comic is garbage. I think Augie drank a little too much 90s nostalgia before rereading this. (It's okay Augie, I hit the same bottle sometimes.)

I was really let down by this book, even as a kid. It was the first time I ever read something by Miller I didn't like. I guess it was also the world's introduction to his asshole interpretation of Batman.

I thought the comic was loads of fun. Not up there with most Miller work, but just very silly, over-the-top and enjoyable.

The DC effort - Batman/Spawn: Devil Day - on the other hand is one of the worst comics I've ever read.

I have a positive memory of that comic, but it's only thanks to nostalgia at the time. I was a 12-year-old Spawn fan and hadn't read any other Frank Miller yet. So I liked it. I can see how it fulfilled the requirements of what it was supposed to do -- sure. It's almost a case of peeling back and stripping down the grim'n'gritty thing and making the reader confront it for what it is. I feel like it's an interestingly uncomfortable mix.

That's damn true about McFarlane having channeled Frank Miller's writing style at the time, though. I never thought McFarlane was a completely bad writer, but when he was just starting out he certainly read like someone trying to emulate Frank Miller.

Is this Greg Capullo's first Batman art?
    I asked him that very question on twitter. His response: "Nope. Did my first at 4 yrs of age." Oh, Greg Capullo. I didn't think to specify "published"!

Yeah...definitly reviewed through 90's rose colored belts, shoulderpads and pouches. But I have no right to throw stones...I just bought a Jim Lee X-Men omnibus on a whim and draaaaaaaged my way through that (pretty pictures though!). Agreed that it was very cool McFarlane kept the lace-face Spawn going for a while afterwards. I think for alot of us who only knew Frank Miller as !!!FRANK MILLER!!! we got our first real glimpse at a less than stellar outing that we couldn't just imagine didn't happen. Actually...is Spawn/Batman officially where Miller jumped the fanboy shark before wrestling it dead to the bottom of the ocean with DK Strikes Again?

The DC version of Batman/Spawn was utter drek. I think they had the three current Batman writers on it. Not sure who did art...I want to say Kaus Janson...but I'm not entirely sure. It's not even worth a Google.

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

I really like the last page of the book. I thought it was neat with the batarang going into Spawn's face. It says that McFarlane and Miller just wanted to entertain with the book. With me, atleast, that's what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexor7 View Post
    Actually...is Spawn/Batman officially where Miller jumped the fanboy shark before wrestling it dead to the bottom of the ocean with DK Strikes Again?
    Getting a bit OT, but Miller never "jumped the fanboy shark". That would involve him pandering to fans by giving them what they want. What Miller actually does is whatever he wants regardless of what the fans want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexor7 View Post
    The DC version of Batman/Spawn was utter drek. I think they had the three current Batman writers on it. Not sure who did art...I want to say Kaus Janson...but I'm not entirely sure. It's not even worth a Google.
    It was indeed Klaus Janson - and it's terrible art. The guy is a great inker and manages to pencil the occasional good shot, but he's often terrible.