Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Marc Webb Reveals B.J. Novak's "Amazing Spider-Man 2" Role

The former "Office" temp will play Alistair Smythe in the Spidey sequel, a character recently seen in writer Dan Slott's Spider-Man run.

Full article here.

It was speculated he could be.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

and i thought it was already overcrowded
    Comic Book Deaths 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SvM6adTeY

Bring back Ultimate DAZZLER!!

British Student of Film

So how long until they ret-con the recent events around him in the comics then?

So, the video game based on The Amazing Spider-Man is even more non-canon than before? I guess that's the reward for producing a tie-in with a somewhat original storyline.

Starting to think Amazing Spider-Man 2 is getting a bit overcrowded with villains. We've seen what happens with movies when too many characters are crammed into a movie with X3. And no movie franchise deserves that, especially not Spider-Man.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post
    So, the video game based on The Amazing Spider-Man is even more non-canon than before? I guess that's the reward for producing a tie-in with a somewhat original storyline.
    I was thinking the same thing after Rhino and even more so now, which is a shame as the first game was impressive for taking a different stance to a move tie-in. In fact I gather the developers of the forthcoming second game have gone on to say that their game is sort of parallel to the second movie and that they're taking the events of the first film and the first game as their own canon and intergrating the enemies of ASM2 accordingly, along with the original Kraven the Hunter concept. So they may mean that if Rhino appears he'll be still the bio creation of OSCORP as in the first game.
    The rule in comics seems to be that unless you're gay, interacial or had the sense to get married in the 60's and have kids before it became out of vogue to marry and grow up, it's not gonna last.

Just because a villain's alter-ego is introduced into the film doesn't mean they will actually be a villain in the film.

Irrfan Khan's character from ASM was merely Norman's face at the company and never became Proto-Goblin. I suspect something similar will hold true for Novak's Smythe.

I think it's very likely that Novak is the scientist who outfits Electro and possibly gives the Goblin Gear and Juice to Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Starting to think Amazing Spider-Man 2 is getting a bit overcrowded with villains. We've seen what happens with movies when too many characters are crammed into a movie with X3. And no movie franchise deserves that, especially not Spider-Man.
    Even with all of the announced characters for this film, the cast of key players isn't anywhere near the size of any of the main X-films and pales in comparison to the upcoming DOFP.
    Last edited by BrotherUnitNo_4; 02-04-2014 at 04:36 AM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I'm not too worried. I basically see most of the bad guys here as the bounty hunters for The Empire Strikes Back. Aside from Green Goblin, none of them are really villains that can lead the movie by themselves. They're acting as Oscorp foot soldiers. Osbourne is the general, Electro seems to be leading the army, and the rest are there to try to take down Spidey. Aside from Electro, I don't think they're going to actually waste too much time trying to develop backstory for each one.

Interesting addition to the sequel. Should be interesting seeing what the creator of the Spider-Slayers is like, whether he returns for a 3rd, or 4th film, or is the 6th meber of the Sinister Six people keep wondering about.

I don't get this "overcrowded" complaint. If anything this world feels *bigger* compared to the Raimi movies, where everything was conveniently about/involving the three main characters. It makes more sense for other evil/morally challenged scientists to show up. The Spider-Man books have always had those in large supply.

They're trying to actually add people from the books and fans are complaining? Sigh.

Elder Member

I doubt Smythe is going to be more than a passing footnote in this, a guy who utters some mad scientist techno-speak in a lab scene or something.
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I was thinking the same thing after Rhino and even more so now, which is a shame as the first game was impressive for taking a different stance to a move tie-in. In fact I gather the developers of the forthcoming second game have gone on to say that their game is sort of parallel to the second movie and that they're taking the events of the first film and the first game as their own canon and intergrating the enemies of ASM2 accordingly, along with the original Kraven the Hunter concept. So they may mean that if Rhino appears he'll be still the bio creation of OSCORP as in the first game.
    Yeah that's a damn shame. The game was one big world builder for this universe, and a great one at that.
    S.O.S. - Save Our Seals!

These movies can spring off so many spin-offs (Haha)
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    They're trying to actually add people from the books and fans are complaining? Sigh.
    Because if history has shown us anything, the more you split your focus between multiple characters, the more the general plot can suffer. There's been exceptions to the rule (Most of the X-men films) but then there's always Spider-Man 3 which fumbled the ball, hard.
    Less characters = more time for individual characterisation.