Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Allison Types - Feb 3, 2014

Monkeybrain's Allison Baker returns with her second column, properly introducing herself to readers and pontificating about British bar etiquette.

Full article here.

Well, this column's accurately named. Dreary self-indulgent rambling.

Hello Allison, pleased to 'meet' you. Best of luck with the column, and thank you for sharing the fascinating pictures. I've learned something already – Americans don't do rounds? Well, you're doing everyone a great favour by spreading the word!
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

For full British and Irish bar rules, etiquette and the round system, see below:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comm...e_at_a/c5zdtxm
    Whats it like to be a real superhero? Find out here...

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...d.php?t=25552]

"pulling the logistical strings behind political media campaigns."

Fancy words. You mean you're a lobbist or work for a trade association; serving the interest of corporations and corrupting our political institutions.

I see a few people have misplaced their toilets and began taking their shits right here.

I wonder if any male columnists catch this much shit when they first join CBR?
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

People can be jealous without it veering off into sexist territory. I don't know any of these people though so I won't put anything past them.

About that little girl. I ran across her once in a comic book store. She was pitching a story to her dad as he did his shopping. Thought that was kinda neat.
    Last edited by ticklefist; 02-03-2014 at 11:34 PM.

I'm British. My mates and I always do rounds.

Bu if anyone tried to bitch out and skip their round, you would certainly know about it! No keeping quiet!

Also, I don't really get the point of this column. It's good to see Alison open to the fact that she doesn't quite have one yet.

@Dupont: why you gotta make it about gender? Don't we get enough of that crap lately as it is?
    Last edited by mummra the ever living; 02-04-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ticklefist View Post
    People can be jealous without it veering off into sexist territory.
    And they can also dislike people - male, female, or otherwise - who corrupt the political process and spend most of their column name-dropping apropos of nothing. Wonder of wonders!

Quote Originally Posted by mummra the ever living View Post
    Also, I don't really get the point of this column.
    Names ain't gonna drop theyse'ves!

The round thing only works if everyone drinks at the same rate, and has a sufficient wallet. More than once, I've seen someone sipping on a "fancy" drink, one they planned to drink over a long period of time, get stuck with getting a round of six drinks when they had no intention of getting more than just that drink. It's kind of like the person at dinner who says, "Let's all just split the tab evenly", then goes on to order a steak and some crab dip while everyone else just got a burger.

...and when it's business, I've seen folks use it to trick inexperienced drinkers into getting drunk, in order to take advantage in whatever deal is being discussed. Sometimes it's best for everyone to just go get their own drink--it lets each person monitor their own alcohol, plus, it provides movement, which can keep folks from being trapped by the same people the entire evening.

THAT SAID, round buying does work really well in some situations--you just have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's 1) not a ploy to dump the majority of the tab on a newbie or 2) a ploy to pull some sort of Alpha Male bullcrap to manipulate the business. In the end, everyone should just do what makes them comfortable and what's appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by I'mAWheel View Post
    And they can also dislike people - male, female, or otherwise - who corrupt the political process and spend most of their column name-dropping apropos of nothing. Wonder of wonders!
    Don't you think that's a little harsh for, what was it, her second column? All I saw was someone getting comfortable with the medium--it might be a little early to accuse her of upending democracy or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by mummra the ever living View Post
    @Dupont: why you gotta make it about gender? Don't we get enough of that crap lately as it is?
    Because that crap seems to pop up completely unprovoked in every column Allison writes?
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by I'mAWheel View Post
    Haha get out more.