Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default DETECTIVE COMICS #28 Preview/Discussion

VIA Nerdist

Welcome to Gothtopia! Die happy! The Scarecrow makes the ultimate bid for control of Gotham City's citizens - so why is everybody so happy about it? Nothing is as it seems as the strange gets stranger in "Gothtopia," part 2 of 3.

Full preview here.

So my take away is Harley, Pyg, Freeze, etc. Are on the drugs, not conspiring. Anyone else?

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I'm thinking they are conspiring. Although, I never really considered them being drugged too. It's a possibility.

I though Fabok was drawing this arc.
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

Art Thibert!

Thats a blast from the past
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

This reminds me of the Arkham Asylum video game with one of the Scarecrow nightmares being that Batman is an inmate while the villains run the asylum.

I was a little disappointed in this issue. It wasn't bad for what it was, I was just hoping for more than an escape from Arkham story. I would have liked to have seen more of the Gothtopia illusion. Just a little bit.
    Ginkasa Reviews Everything*
    Current Review: Xenogears

Lopresti was a good fill-in, but I do miss the Fabok art. On the plus-side, the team-up between Batman and Ivy was interesting.

Go figure. I liked this issue.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I was just hoping for more than an escape from Arkham story.
    If there's a weakness to this otherwise very good story, it's the whole "Arkham taken over by the inmates" thing. I mean, seriously, how often have we seen this happen? I think the inmates are running the place more often than the staff.

I would have liked to have seen more of the Gothtopia illusion. Just a little bit.
    Not me. This is a 3-part story, and we had that for the whole first part. I think it was right to move on with the story. (And besides, if you want more of the illusion, you can always pick up the tie-in issues.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Kay View Post
    Lopresti was a good fill-in, but I do miss the Fabok art.
    I thought Lopresti was fine, but he certainly can't compete with Fabok. The Fabok cover was awesome.

On the plus-side, the team-up between Batman and Ivy was interesting.
    Yeah, I really liked that, and I wasn't expecting it either. I kind of figured the Ivy segment last month to be kind of a throwaway thing. Instead, it turns out to be an integral part of the story.

This has been a well plotted story with good pacing. Not only did I fail to detect the significance of Ivy last month, I also failed to pick-up on the suicides. As I stated earlier, I liked the set-up "what the hell is going on" stuff last month moving into the next segment of the story this month. And next month, it appears that Batman and Ivy will have to go up against the other still spellbound bat-family members.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Not me. This is a 3-part story, and we had that for the whole first part. I think it was right to move on with the story. (And besides, if you want more of the illusion, you can always pick up the tie-ins.
    I was really hoping for some mystery about it. I dug the initial "what is going on?!" aspect of the first part and would have liked that to be extended just a little more.
    Ginkasa Reviews Everything*
    Current Review: Xenogears

I was really hoping for some mystery about it. I dug the initial "what is going on?!" aspect of the first part and would have liked that to be extended just a little more.
    I think I kind of expected it to go that way and that might be why I enjoyed it so much.

The Arkham inmate takeover thing does get a little over used but it was still fun.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    I'm thinking they are conspiring. Although, I never really considered them being drugged too. It's a possibility.
    Some of it felt like conspiring, some of it didn't. If I had to guess I would think that people like Freeze, Pyg, and Harley that have their own agendas and desires for power would have to be drugged, but some of the others would just be content to help.
    I could see Croc having a natural resistance to the drug because his reptilian brain was too small so he had to be given the Head Guard job to get him to play along,
    and Zsasz doesn't have any ambition other than to cut people so he would go with it,
    Penguin is getting the power and recognition he wanted so he might play along too although it is what he would see if he was drugged,
    but Freeze would think it was a distraction from Nora,
    Merrymaker has his own "need to control" power-trip,
    and Harley won't follow anyone but Joker or Deadshot that easily.

I was a little disappointed in this issue. It wasn't bad for what it was, I was just hoping for more than an escape from Arkham story. I would have liked to have seen more of the Gothtopia illusion. Just a little bit.
    A three part arc is something I've been waiting for. These constant run on stories were starting to drive me away from DC. The illusion was shallow so I don't think spending more time on it would have done anything good for the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Kay View Post
    Lopresti was a good fill-in, but I do miss the Fabok art. On the plus-side, the team-up between Batman and Ivy was interesting.
    I loved the art... well everything except Ivy. Still I don't usually notice the art unless it's good and this was good... except for Ivy.

Ho hum.

But hey, Nocturna.
    Last edited by penguintruth; 02-06-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

This issue was all right. Not bad, but not great either. The art was a huge step down. The voices for Pyg and Flamingo were pretty bad, too. I'm wondering where the "OMG, they're using Batman's family as fodder" crowd is. Or does reactions like that only happen when it's done in other books?
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

BANNED

Flamingo was lame in this. He's a silent killer who skins and eats faces. He doesn't talk and he doesn't make friends and work with others.