Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Don't Worry - Here's Why Jesse Eisenberg Could Be A GREAT Lex Luthor

Fans worried that Jesse Eisenberg doesn't have what it takes to bring Luthor to life, take heart: Here's why he's a great choice to play the iconic villain.

Full article here.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

I don't think I have heard anyone saying they want a Gene Hackman like Luthor again. That campy version of Luthor was awful.

It's not really a great sign when nearly all of your movie's casting decisions have to have a follow up "maybe it won't be awful" article justifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I don't think I have heard anyone saying they want a Gene Hackman like Luthor again. That campy version of Luthor was awful.
    It ruined the potential that was Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. He was just playing Hackman's Luthor.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

There's quite a big difference between Michael Keaton and Heath Ledger castings. People questioned if they could capture their character not their acting abilities, Eisenberg looks puny and sounds like a teenager despite being in his 30s.He just has a look of someone who's in his teens and I'm sorry but Lex Luthor is ways different to Mark Zuckerberg lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This. Seriously, I don't know who wrote this article but did they actually, I don't know, ask fans what kind of Lex they wanted to see? Cause like 99.999998% would have said 'Not Hackman again, and no more real estate plans!' Just straight up, fans didn't want that, and saying that's probably what fans wanted automatically makes your article just a tad suspect that maybe you didn't do any real research but just wrote up some thoughts on the spot.

Also though I haven't seen the Social Network, I've seen clips and honestly his voice as Lex just makes me cringe for some reason. Like maybe this is Lex's kind of nasally nephew fresh from college. Anyone else get that or is it just me? Keep in mind I'm not saying he's a bad actor or choice for Lex, just purely talking about his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sousa View Post
    and I'm sorry but Lex Luthor is ways different to Mark Zuckerberg lol
    Also this, and saying one's like the other is...disconcerting.
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sousa View Post
    There's quite a big difference between Michael Keaton and Heath Ledger castings. People questioned if they could capture their character not their acting abilities, Eisenberg looks puny and sounds like a teenager despite being in his 30s.He just has a look of someone who's in his teens and I'm sorry but Lex Luthor is ways different to Mark Zuckerberg lol
    You just contradicted yourself. Your complaints were
    1. Looks puny
    2. Sounds like a teenager
    3. Looks like a Teen
    4. Lex Luthor ain't Mark Zuckerberg

None of which was about his acting abilities but if he could capture the character.

A big difference between Ledger and Eisenberg, is not many people questioned Nolan & co. on casting and directorial decision making. Even if someone found Ledger to be an odd choice, the cast still had Bale, Freeman, Caine, Murphy, Neeson, Oldman, Eckhart, and the better replacement of Gyllenhaal for Holmes, making a pretty damn good track record casting major (and minor) roles. Snyder has a far more questionable record, with some pretty bozo casting choices and poor acting found in most of his movies.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBoxing View Post
    A big difference between Ledger and Eisenberg, is not many people questioned Nolan & co. on casting and directorial decision making. Even if someone found Ledger to be an odd choice, the cast still had Bale, Freeman, Caine, Murphy, Neeson, Oldman, Eckhart, and the better replacement of Gyllenhaal for Holmes, making a pretty damn good track record casting major (and minor) roles. Snyder has a far more questionable record, with some pretty bozo casting choices and poor acting found in most of his movies.
    Amy Adams - Oscar, golden globe, academy awards, critic choice, screen actor guild award winner.
    Lawrence Fishburne - Academy awards nominated, Emmy awards winner
    Diane Lane - multiple awards winner and nominee
    Harry Lennix - SAG award nominated
    Jeremy Irons - golden globe and emmy awards winner
    Ben Affleck - golden globe nominated, SAG and saturn awards winner (as an actor)

Going back to MOS, we also have Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner who are all acclaimed actors with many nominations and wins.

I think he's going to rock it.
    The Bounce, The New Warriors, Saga, Silver Surfer, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Amy Adams - Oscar, golden globe, academy awards, critic choice, screen actor guild award winner.
    Lawrence Fishburne - Academy awards nominated, Emmy awards winner
    Diane Lane - multiple awards winner and nominee
    Harry Lennix - SAG award nominated
    Jeremy Irons - golden globe and emmy awards winner
    Ben Affleck - golden globe nominated, SAG and saturn awards winner (as an actor)

Going back to MOS, we also have Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner who are all acclaimed actors with many nominations and wins.
    Ben Affleck and Costner are spotty. Real spotty. And Affleck hasn't any accolades for his acting (and SAG and Saturn awards are like candy on Halloween: everyone gets them).

Harry Lennix? Really you just mentioned Harry Lennix in this group? I'm sure a lot of extras were great too.

And besides, I'm referring to his overall career. He's always got a few clunkers in his casts.
    Last edited by ShadowBoxing; 02-03-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Ben Affleck and Costner are spotty. Real spotty. And Affleck hasn't any accolades for his acting (and SAG and Saturn awards are like candy on Halloween: everyone gets them).

Harry Lennix? Really you just mentioned Harry Lennix in this group? I'm sure a lot of extras were great too.

And besides, I'm referring to his overall career. He's always got a few clunkers in his casts.
    Well, how about the rest of them, you've kinda combined all the actors from the trilogy and even without lennix, affleck and costner, there is still a large cast of great actors and actress.
    Even if you're reffering to his overall career, your post did kinda mention specifically to batman trilogy actors. Also, with a production like this, I doubt Snyder is the only one making decisions, besides, lets just focus on the individual actor alone because all other factors are moot. The best casting directors can do a bad job and the worst casting director can accidentally find a gem.
    I think the overreaction equals to when Ledger was cast. I'm not saying Eisenberg is going to sell it, but I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Lets look at MOS casting shall we:
    Kevin Costner-Oscar Winner, Emmy Winner, nominated other times.
    Amy Adams-Multiple Oscar nominee.
    Russell Crowe-Oscar Winner.
    Diane Lane-Multiple Oscar nominee.
    Michael Shannon-Oscar nominee.
    Laurence Fishburne-Oscar nominee.

Oh and in case anyone's forgotten, Eisenberg is also a former Oscar nominee.

The fact that people just automatically assume that Lex will be like Zuckerberg says more about THEM than it does about Snyder/Eisenberg. All that The Social Network, and Now You See Me for that matter, proves is that Eisenberg can play arrogant, genius, villain-ish characters who have god complexes. All of those descriptors fit Lex. It does not mean, however, that they'll be the same type of characters. That's just people jumping the gun AGAIN. After all, comic books fans default setting is pessimism and they tend to instantly think the worst about everything, which is sad.

Something I've re-noticed in these threads (to the admittedly small extent that I've looked into them), and has gotten very old and annoying over the years, is how whenever anyone has a doubt about a casting decision for a comic movie, somebody always brings up Heath Ledger. Sure it's a valid point, but it's a point that has been repeated way too often, and is often used to handwave away possibly legitimate concerns. Just thought I'd mention it.
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.