Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Marvel's Digital Edition Edits Raise Questions About Future "Miracleman" Issues

Has the long-awaited republishing of Alan Moore's "Miracleman" been marred by edits to the digital version available via the Marvel Comics app?

Full article here.

Why do that ;L
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

I think you stated the answer in the article, the Marvel App is rated ages 12+. This isn't an act of censorship due to the fact that they still released the regular version in print and on Comixology. This is the same as Wal-Mart selling edited CD's. The overall vibe is still going to be there and if people want, either version is available. The amount of coverage this is getting is just funny to me, it is like people spoke out for YEARS to get these comics re-released and now it is like "YEAH BUT ONE OF THREE AVAILABLE AVENUES MAKES HER WEAR PANTIES" come on, guys.

I am really curious what will happen with issue #9. Can't wait. The shitstorm is coming
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

I don't care that Marvel's releasing a censored digital version as long as they also release the uncensored version digitally too.

So let me see if I have this correct.

Updating the colours to use a totally different, but certainly more realistic colour palette does not interfere with the artistic integrity of the original piece.
    Updating the lettering to use the latest computer generated, as opposed to original hand drawn lettering does not interfere with the artistic integrity of the original piece.
    Creating new covers which are drawn by people other than the original artists does not interfere with the artistic integrity of the original piece.
    Adding new written word pieces to the ends of the issues does not interfere with the artistic integrity of the original piece.

Adding panties in a scene (in one version) and blacking out a nipple in another, this...THIS is what gets us up in arms?

I bought the first two issues of the reprints, and I like them very much. I have a few of the later issues which I bought back in the day, and the new colouring is infinitely better than the original colouring, but make no mistake, it's ENTIRELY different.

Interestingly I was able to read the mature versions on my iPad, but I don't use the dedicated Marvel or DC apps as there's no real point to them when ComiXology has everything in one app.
    Brian Garside
    brian.garsideweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by WillieTaliban View Post
    I think you stated the answer in the article, the Marvel App is rated ages 12+. This isn't an act of censorship due to the fact that they still released the regular version in print and on Comixology.
    So is it necessary to edit Adults-Only book and release it on Marvel App? They could have release it on Comixology only, if they feel that sight of woman's bare bottom is so horrible and disgusting that they must keep teen-age kids away from it. Why then they don't edit their MAX titles the same way and then publish 'em on Marvel App?

The most obvious answer to this question is that digital editions of those issues will not be made available (issue 7 will be the last). Which, while completely pathetic as an act, is well within any publishers rights. But, again, pathetic. The only thought that comes to mind is that they wanted the launch issues to make it to digital in order to garner as much exposure for the book (and, ultimately, the project, which is what it was/is-- this was a huge undertaking at Marvel, of which those responsible should be proud). Once they discontinue the digital, the audience should be willing to seek out the material copies.

It's also interesting to note that the graphic portion of the series is the only thing that people seem to be worried about. Considering the corporate backbone (or lack thereof *chuckle*) behind the whole endeavor, I would be more apt to think they should be more concerned about the philosophical, sociological, and radical concepts of the storyline (especially the later issues), rather than the ramifications of the visual aspects. Then again, I'm sure they're barely literate themselves, so why would they consider us any more so?

I simply do not understand why this qualifies as news. Yes, there is an edited version of the comic. It is not the only version of the comic available. Why is this an issue? If you want the not-kid-friendly version, avail yourself of the other ways to purchase the comic. Boom, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ijin View Post
    The most obvious answer to this question is that digital editions of those issues will not be made available (issue 7 will be the last). Which, while completely pathetic as an act, is well within any publishers rights. But, again, pathetic. The only thought that comes to mind is that they wanted the launch issues to make it to digital in order to garner as much exposure for the book (and, ultimately, the project, which is what it was/is-- this was a huge undertaking at Marvel, of which those responsible should be proud). Once they discontinue the digital, the audience should be willing to seek out the material copies.
    I think you got it wrong. There are 2 different versions of digital edition - Parental Advisory edition without added stupid censorship which is available on Comixology only, and Mass Market edition available on both Marvel App and Comixology where they added panties and removed nipples and whatever else they did. So they can discontinue Mass Market edition but in the meantime I don't see any reason why they would do this to Parental Advisory

Quote Originally Posted by NKRoots View Post
    So is it necessary to edit Adults-Only book and release it on Marvel App? They could have release it on Comixology only, if they feel that sight of woman's bare bottom is so horrible and disgusting that they must keep teen-age kids away from it. Why then they don't edit their MAX titles the same way and then publish 'em on Marvel App?
    They may end up doing that with the MAX series, who knows. As of right now I don't think there is any MAX titles on the app. They are trying to keep the app accessible to a younger crowd, which I understand. And as an Unlimited app user and subscriber I want to be able to read Miracleman, and really don't mind if they make these little changes. Like others have said, you can still get the unedited version, heck, you can still get the original if it is that big of a deal.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Garside View Post
    So let me see if I have this correct.

Updating the colours to use a totally different, but certainly more realistic colour palette does not interfere with the artistic integrity of the original piece.
    Updating the lettering to use the latest computer generated, as opposed to original hand drawn lettering does not interfere with the artistic integrity of the original piece.
    Creating new covers which are drawn by people other than the original artists does not interfere with the artistic integrity of the original piece.
    Adding new written word pieces to the ends of the issues does not interfere with the artistic integrity of the original piece.

Adding panties in a scene (in one version) and blacking out a nipple in another, this...THIS is what gets us up in arms?

I bought the first two issues of the reprints, and I like them very much. I have a few of the later issues which I bought back in the day, and the new colouring is infinitely better than the original colouring, but make no mistake, it's ENTIRELY different.

Interestingly I was able to read the mature versions on my iPad, but I don't use the dedicated Marvel or DC apps as there's no real point to them when ComiXology has everything in one app.
    The concern is less about panties and more over what might happen with later issues. Thisni
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    I simply do not understand why this qualifies as news. Yes, there is an edited version of the comic. It is not the only version of the comic available. Why is this an issue? If you want the not-kid-friendly version, avail yourself of the other ways to purchase the comic. Boom, end of story.
    First - why should kid-friendly version of clearly adults-only book with graphic images of mass murder and childbirth exist in the first place? There is no Punisher Max or Dexter Mass Market edition.
    Second - why bare bottom and SHADOWED nipple is an issue? Editors or colorists or whomever felt the need to took their time to draw this panties as if it is the most important thing.
    Somebody got paid for doing this. Does anybody find those images offensive or inappropriate for 12+ children? On Marvel App there are books sold which show mass murder, genocide, mutilated corpses, deals with the devil, but no - bare butt and nipple is too much to show. These are parts of human's body, so teen-age kids should be afraid or ashamed of human's body? It's not a problem with this exact book, but with overall attitude, book is just a perfect example.

The Truth Hurts

My favourite (unintentionally funny) sentence in the article:
    If a single butt warranted editing, it's concerning to speculate how Marvel will handle legitimately graphic scenes in upcoming "Miracleman" issues released through their app.

I've never read issue 9, or the whole series for that matter, but my guess is that the easiest solution may simply be to crop out the offending portions of art in-panel. I'm not sure how necessary it is to the story to actually see what's going on below the waistline. Ideally you'd have high-quality scans of the original art to make it not so obvious that you're cropping in.
    $3.99 IS TOO MUCH FOR A COMIC!