Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: "Justice League: War" Launches "First Salvo" for Future DC Animated Features

The creative minds behind "Justice League: War" explain how it will influence future DC Comics-based animation projects. Plus, an exclusive clip from the film.

Full article here.

I watched it a couple of weeks ago with my Dad. Thought the Batman and Green Lantern dynamic was central to the film. Wonder Woman - poor choice of costume that definitely doesn't match an insult she gets in the film, bit OTT at times, poor Steve in this.

Superman - interesting new film take, but a bit too cocky all the same, whereas that in Hal was laughable, or endearing, rather than annoying. Victors' Dad was a total jerk, was completely right there. Shazam was an interesting addition, one character throughout, didn't make much sense until then.

Darkseid a bit of a mindless brute in climax, Desaad more satisfying. Sets up a sequel well, even before mid/post credit scene. Looking forward to next.

Oh, and Flash wasn't in it enough, but still fine.

Surprised "Assault on Arkham" will be new. Honestly, they could have edited the cut scenes together and it would have sold.

A surprisingly horrible movie all around. So disappointed with DC here because this isn't becoming of them.

Terrible plot (from a terrible New 52 story to begin with), terrible VA's, silly and horrible use of Darkseid, a horrible representation of Captain..excuse me, Shazam (smh) who is now some street urchin that cracks silly jokes mid fight, along with Wonder Woman who sounded like a 5 year old idiot and worst of all, an unrecognizable Superman who is now apparently on a neck snapping expedition to further make him, "edgy or dark".

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dragon View Post
    I watched it a couple of weeks ago with my Dad. Thought the Batman and Green Lantern dynamic was central to the film. Wonder Woman - poor choice of costume that definitely doesn't match an insult she gets in the film, bit OTT at times, poor Steve in this.

Superman - interesting new film take, but a bit too cocky all the same, whereas that in Hal was laughable, or endearing, rather than annoying. Victors' Dad was a total jerk, was completely right there. Shazam was an interesting addition, one character throughout, didn't make much sense until then.

Darkseid a bit of a mindless brute in climax, Desaad more satisfying. Sets up a sequel well, even before mid/post credit scene. Looking forward to next.

Oh, and Flash wasn't in it enough, but still fine.
    Completely stolen my thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    A surprisingly horrible movie all around. So disappointed with DC here because this isn't becoming of them.

Terrible plot (from a terrible New 52 story to begin with), terrible VA's, silly and horrible use of Darkseid, a horrible representation of Captain..excuse me, Shazam (smh) who is now some street urchin that cracks silly jokes mid fight, along with Wonder Woman who sounded like a 5 year old idiot and worst of all, an unrecognizable Superman who is now apparently on a neck snapping expedition to further make him, "edgy or dark".
    Well said.

"They were thrown into a circumstance where they have to pull together, and we don't know that they will," Tucker said of the Justice League in "War." "At any moment one of them could just take off and say, 'Screw this, I don't want to deal with it.' To me, they're more individuals. They're not just superheroes. You don't assume they're going to do the right thing just because they have a costume on. That, to me, is the refreshing thing about it -- we're able to treat them like real, nuanced adults, as opposed to iconic do-gooders."

I don't think I've seen something become so unappealing so quickly in my entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Completely stolen my thoughts on this.
    Sorry, was the first post in and thought I'd give my brief thoughts on the film before reading the article, which, though not that bad, could be better. Helpfully informative, on how altered or not pre-52 film adaps are, or how Assault on Arkham may/may not link in.

3 animated features a year...that's cool.

So, by the end of this year, we will get both Throne of Atlantis and Son of Batman?

I do like the different take on JL (about them being individuals....they don't have to be iconic do-gooders).

Sorry, was the first post in and thought I'd give my brief thoughts on the film before reading the article, which, though not that bad, could be better. Helpfully informative, on how altered or not pre-52 film adaps are, or how Assault on Arkham may/may not link in.
    That wasn't meant to be sarcastic. In short, you've summarized my thoughts on the film, I love Bruce/Hal dynamics and I've mentioned this before, this is the first time they're coming together, the first time they've met such a big threat, thus I think the whole distrust and friction between the team members played off really well. I like several other dynamics like Kal/Diana, Hal/Barry and Billy/Vic.
    One thing I'd like to see improvement on the characteristics is that with some time gap, Superman will start to act wiser and less brash, unlike the Morrison/Shuster/Siegel version of him. I'll like to see a certain amount of growth, but not too much. I'd also like to see Hal show his true self and peel off the layer of proud/cocky/humorous exterior, some more depth to the character as well, not that he needs to completely change his character, but just one or two scenes to show that he isn't just another jock.
    Another thing I liked about the show is that all of them have very distinctive characteristics and behavior, older incarnations tend to make everyone very generic which loses a little bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    3 animated features a year...that's cool.

So, by the end of this year, we will get both Throne of Atlantis and Son of Batman?

I do like the different take on JL (about them being individuals....they don't have to be iconic do-gooders).

Son of Batman will be sold this year. Throne of Atlantis and another in continuity DTV probably next year.

"I've never been good at the classic Wonder Woman -- even though I respect it and I love it -"

Well, I reckon you better learn.

"They were thrown into a circumstance where they have to pull together, and we don't know that they will," Tucker said of the Justice League in "War." "At any moment one of them could just take off and say, 'Screw this, I don't want to deal with it.' To me, they're more individuals. They're not just superheroes. You don't assume they're going to do the right thing just because they have a costume on. That, to me, is the refreshing thing about it -- we're able to treat them like real, nuanced adults, as opposed to iconic do-gooders."

"At any moment one of them could just take off and say, 'Screw this, I don't want to deal with it'."

That's not just a poor assessment of DC characters, but a poor assessment of character. I'm sure glad that police officers and firefighters don't have this kind of attitude. Fire? Crime? Screw this, I don't want to deal with this.

Yes, I do equate a costumed vigilante with a person who has chosen to be a peace officer or a firefighter. Legend has it that Bruce Wayne could have chosen to be a cop. Barry Allen is a cop. Hal Jordan is a (space) cop. J'onn J'onzz - although not part of the new league - is a cop. The league had three cops and two ambassadors on it. I have a hard time believing that a person like that would say, Screw you, I'm goin' home.

Yes, they are people, but they have chosen to put on a mask. I doubt they would say, Screw it, when things got too tough. Especially against Darkseid. Not even Marvel heroes do that.

Darkseid a bit of a mindless brute ...
    Which pretty much defines the whole film. For the crowd that basically wants a superpowered WWE Smackdown, this is gold. For anyone that loved these characters, well, I won't speak for everyone, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I became bored with it pretty fast.

One thing I did like was the depiction of Superman up to the point where he Batman and Green Lantern slip into the sewers. One of the things that I don't think gets depicted enough in any media is just how fast he is (I liked that about the first season of STAS and the Fleisher shorts). Why would he stand around and let himself get hit unless he was just trying to prove a point or just showing off?

I enjoy DC's direct-to-video movies, but I'm a little disappointed that they've chosen to use them to build a new shared universe. I've kinda been holding out hope that they'd revive the original DCAU instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MRMIRACLE View Post
    Which pretty much defines the whole film. For the crowd that basically wants a superpowered WWE Smackdown, this is gold. For anyone that loved these characters, well, I won't speak for everyone, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I became bored with it pretty fast.

One thing I did like was the depiction of Superman up to the point where he Batman and Green Lantern slip into the sewers. One of the things that I don't think gets depicted enough in any media is just how fast he is (I liked that about the first season of STAS and the Fleisher shorts). Why would he stand around and let himself get hit unless he was just trying to prove a point or just showing off?
    For me its not so much of the superpowered wwe smackdown, but more of the interpersonal relationships that I'm interested in. JL has never had these kinda interesting dynamics, everyone seemingly get along and work with each other and behave the same way, so the friction and the sparks is pretty much solid. Its just the right amount of BMB that IMO the JL needs.