Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 111
  1. #1
    don't mess with the merc! CrimsonComedian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    990

    Default Is power really a responsibility?

    Hey I'm a huge Peter Parker fan, but in the real world does being great at something obligate you to help those who aren't so great? If you work really hard at school to get top grades, is it your responsibility to help some of the lazier and uneducated kids in your class cheat off you to also achieve similar success? If you work endless hours to provide yourself and your family healthcare, education, and shelter, does the fact that you do so make it your responsibility to provide food stamps, education, and community housing to those who aren't as motivated and don't put in the effort as you do? Is it the responsibility of those who are more capable and mature to protect and aid those who refuse to do so for themselves? If the people are electing corrupt officials into power, is it the responsibility of a superhero to fight for the people's rights? Not only did the people fight against those corrupted cronies themselves, they willingly aided them in acquiring their positions of power over them. Do the stronger need to spend massive amounts of resources for F-18s and tanks and M16s and young men to be sent over to aid those people who show no gratitude in return?

    Hmm.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonComedian View Post
    If I had powers I would be a supervillain.
    That's what I read.

  3. #3
    Marquis de carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium.
    Posts
    31,864

    Default

    With an unhealthy dose of
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonComedian
    I got mine and everybody else can get stuffed.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

  4. #4
    Y? Cause I Gotta! JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    12,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USArmyParatrooper View Post
    That's what I read.
    Who WOULDN'T rather be a supervillain!? Notice that every superhero has a dozen villains to fight at any time.
    Supervillainy is practically the national past time!
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

  5. #5
    Nyah! Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI/Millennium City MI
    Posts
    33,409

    Default

    JCAll wonders:

    Who WOULDN'T rather be a supervillain!?
    People with morals.
    'Dox out.

    "But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

    "Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

    "And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega


    Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

  6. #6
    Elder Member Shellhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    17,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonComedian View Post
    Hey I'm a huge Peter Parker fan, but in the real world does being great at something obligate you to help those who aren't so great? If you work really hard at school to get top grades, is it your responsibility to help some of the lazier and uneducated kids in your class cheat off you to also achieve similar success? If you work endless hours to provide yourself and your family healthcare, education, and shelter, does the fact that you do so make it your responsibility to provide food stamps, education, and community housing to those who aren't as motivated and don't put in the effort as you do? Is it the responsibility of those who are more capable and mature to protect and aid those who refuse to do so for themselves? If the people are electing corrupt officials into power, is it the responsibility of a superhero to fight for the people's rights? Not only did the people fight against those corrupted cronies themselves, they willingly aided them in acquiring their positions of power over them. Do the stronger need to spend massive amounts of resources for F-18s and tanks and M16s and young men to be sent over to aid those people who show no gratitude in return?

    Hmm.
    Go back and re-read Spider-man's origin, and pay attention this time. It seems like you started skimming after Parker got paid for winning the wrestling match.

    Or if that's too much trouble for you, I can just explain it right now. If you have "great power" and you aren't a villain, yes you will feel a sense of responsibility to help and protect all the innocent people who weren't gifted with great power. You do that because it's the right thing to do, not because you're getting paid or because you crave blatant displays of gratitude. And you don't waste time deciding if each and every innocent bystander in a given situation is helpless or just lazy, you take decisive action to save the day. That sense of responsibility is what separates heroes from villains and mercenaries.

    Peter Parker fan? You sound more like an Otto Octavius fan.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

  7. #7
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,935

    Default

    double post. yeah, that's the ticket.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 02-01-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  8. #8
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonComedian View Post
    If you work really hard at school to get top grades, is it your responsibility to help some of the lazier and uneducated kids in your class cheat off you to also achieve similar success?
    No, but it would be nice to help out those who are struggling with the work, to better understand the work, so that they can get better grades, and hopefully a better job so that you won't have to lay awake at night worrying that a couple of dollars of your tax money might be used to put food in the mouth of a hungry child somewhere.

    People with less than you aren't necessarily in that situation simply because they're lazy and don't want to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonComedian View Post
    If you work endless hours to provide yourself and your family healthcare, education, and shelter, does the fact that you do so make it your responsibility to provide food stamps, education, and community housing to those who aren't as motivated and don't put in the effort as you do?
    The price for living in a civilised society is paying taxes, so that society can continue to function and remain (relatively) civilised. You don't like it? Take your 'every man for himself' attitude and go live in a cabin in the woods.
    Last edited by Brian Cronin; 02-02-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  9. #9
    Y? Cause I Gotta! JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    12,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    People with morals.
    Yeah, but villains get nicer capes.
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

  10. #10
    Duck Dude Donald M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    22,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonComedian View Post
    Hey I'm a huge Peter Parker fan
    So you say, but after reading the rest of your post I can't imagine what it is you like about him. He's not an Ayn Rand character, after all. Then again, he was co-created by Steve Ditko.

    is it the responsibility of a superhero to fight for the people's rights
    The responsibility of a superhero is to do whatever the writer thinks they should. Because they're not real.
    "A true friend stabs you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

  11. #11
    Duck Dude Donald M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    22,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    NPeople with less than you aren't necessarily in that situation simply because they're lazy and don't want to work.
    Work hard and you'll have everything you need is almost a bigger fiction than Spider-Man is. Almost.

    Speaking of Spider-Man, let's follow the logic of the character to its ultimate conclusion. You'd think, superpowers or no, that a brain like Peter Parker's, capable of almost off-handedly cooking up something like web-fluid and webshooters using basically kitchen equipment, could find a better way to serve mankind than beating up bankrobbers in halloween costumes. Talk about not living up to your potential. Why cure cancer when you could spend your afternoon shooting silly string at Captain Cosplay or the Walking Vibrator?
    "A true friend stabs you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

  12. #12
    don't mess with the merc! CrimsonComedian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    990

    Default

    For those arguing against my original post. I am quitting my job because its getting in the way of my smoking pot. Do you mind all sparing a 1/3 of your paycheck to pay my rent, electricity, internet, cable, and also money to buy more weed? Thanks. That is the system you are supporting so I expect my check in the mail soon.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Shawn Hopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Well, that ties into the problem with your original post. It's based on unfounded, stereotypical negative opinions about people. Of course most of the unemployed didn't quit their jobs to smoke more pot, so, yeah, I'm fine paying into the social safety net so they don't starve.

  14. #14
    Elder Member Shellhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    17,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonComedian View Post
    For those arguing against my original post. I am quitting my job because its getting in the way of my smoking pot. Do you mind all sparing a 1/3 of your paycheck to pay my rent, electricity, internet, cable, and also money to buy more weed? Thanks. That is the system you are supporting so I expect my check in the mail soon.
    Humanity must be a complete mystery to you.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Work hard and you'll have everything you need is almost a bigger fiction than Spider-Man is. Almost.

    Speaking of Spider-Man, let's follow the logic of the character to its ultimate conclusion. You'd think, superpowers or no, that a brain like Peter Parker's, capable of almost off-handedly cooking up something like web-fluid and webshooters using basically kitchen equipment, could find a better way to serve mankind than beating up bankrobbers in halloween costumes. Talk about not living up to your potential. Why cure cancer when you could spend your afternoon shooting silly string at Captain Cosplay or the Walking Vibrator?
    That right there at the heart of the Libertarian fantasy world. That, and the notion that greed is mankind's greatest virtue, a magic cure-all that will solve all ills if only big guvamint will get out of the way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •