Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default The quality of Marvel paper and finishing quality is deplorable at any price tag!

Having worked in the print industry for 20+ years, I am having a harder and harder time paying $3-5.00 for books that literally are damaged by my mere handling of them. The paper is so light that the ink offsets on my hands and frankly most copies are damaged by just the shipping process. The entire run of Empire of the Dead in the Rochester NY area had all sorts of printing and finishing damage. I refused to buy them and all of the dealers are getting sick of trying to get damage claims from Diamond and Marvel. Is anyone else getting tired of this.
    Just so you know I am a Marvel Zombie through and through and think the content is great. Just not happy with the actual manufactured product.

To be honest I can't find much complaints, personally.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

I don't have a lot of single issues, but the paper quality is pretty good.

For me, no ink problems (nothing like we used to get in the 90s in which your fingerprint was easily transferred to a cover). I'd like the cover a bit thicker but on the whole, not a big thing. I certainly don't see the worth of paying $3.99 for a thick cover like DC. I like the paper used these days so far.

Quote Originally Posted by alamontroc View Post
    Having worked in the print industry for 20+ years, I am having a harder and harder time paying $3-5.00 for books that literally are damaged by my mere handling of them. The paper is so light that the ink offsets on my hands and frankly most copies are damaged by just the shipping process. The entire run of Empire of the Dead in the Rochester NY area had all sorts of printing and finishing damage. I refused to buy them and all of the dealers are getting sick of trying to get damage claims from Diamond and Marvel. Is anyone else getting tired of this.
    Just so you know I am a Marvel Zombie through and through and think the content is great. Just not happy with the actual manufactured product.
    I'm no expert on print/paper but it does seem like it could be better. Luckily i don't handle them often so it seems to work out.
    I thought Dark Horse was high quality but i'm so frustrated because i took my Buffy #1 out the other day and there's bleeding through it and just looks worn out, and i've only took it out and read it one time... the rest of the time it sat there bagged/boarded.

Would be nice if the single issues were of higher quality, they seem too fragile and lacking a certain confidence in durability, there's no weight/balance to them or whatever. It feels like the comics in the 90s when i used to buy them then were stronger in that regard, i used to handle them like crazy, toss them around, etc and i never had issues such as this.
    Last edited by eXplorer; 01-31-2014 at 02:26 PM.

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

I hear lots of complaints like this, but I haven't handled many Marvel floppies recently.

Agreed with the OP! It's disgusting.

Marvel comics are absolute rubbish these days. The paper is flimsy and grainy, with the cover being printed on the same paper as the interiors. It's impossible to find a cover without dents in the spine anymore. Completely impossible.

The inks rub off at a startling rate. I'd not noticed until I started re-reading some issues. There are ink smudges on the back boards, in the bags.

It's been this way since mid-way through AvX, actually. The Spider-man issue (#6?) was the first time I noticed this.

I actually cringe to think what these books will look like in 20 years time. :/
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post

Marvel comics are absolute rubbish these days. The paper is flimsy and grainy, with the cover being printed on the same paper as the interiors. It's impossible to find a cover without dents in the spine anymore. Completely impossible.

The inks rub off at a startling rate. I'd not noticed until I started re-reading some issues. There are ink smudges on the back boards, in the bags.

It's been this way since mid-way through AvX, actually. The Spider-man issue (#6?) was the first time I noticed this.

They'll look like an iPad screen.

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post

That's pretty appalling for the company offering Fewer pages at higher costs.

It's absolutely dreadful. Another reason why I will stop buying any Marvel floppies after the next issue of DD comes out.

I agree the paper quality feels pretty bad when compared to Image or even DC, it's true that it's impossible to find not damaged copies and that the cover ink leaves smudges everywhere.

That said, their trade prices have been increasing as well, so they're making it real hard for me to be a happy costumer.

Have heard a lot of this about marvel floppies and there tpbs lately, I'm glad I only do OHC and Omnibus collections

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    True, true.

I seriously doubt that 20 years for now there still going to be a lot of floppies around.

And honestly, it doesn't sound too bad to me at all.

Yep and I thought it was only me noticing the poor quality of the finished product.

Hope they continue including the digital copy with all of the titles I am buying as I also look at my fingers after holding the flopies and think they probably won't last a longtime.
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I believe so, too.