Default Longest Run by the same writer

Just to know what is the Longest Run by the same writer and Longest Run by the same writer and Artist in comic history

For years the standard for this was the Lee Kirby run on Fantastic Four, which ran just over 100 issues. Brian Bendis is now approaching 200 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man (though there was a relaunch in there when Miles Morales was introduced) and Mark Bagley was artist for a long chunk of that (I don't know offhand exactly how many issues Bagley did). If you move form mainstream to indy books, Dave Sim and Gerhard did a 300 issue run of Cerebus the Aardvark. There may be longer runs once you move into international comics (I'm not as familiar with those) as Herge did a large number of Tintin volumes and Asterix had the same creators for a long time as well, but those were usually packaged as graphic albums rather than individual issues.

Hopefully someone more versed in this than I will chime in and give you a more complete answer.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 02-01-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Dave Sim doing 300 issues of Cerebus would probably factor in here too. Manga also complicates matters. On the one hand, in publication terms they go for hundreds of installments with a single creator; on the other, the installments aren't full-length installments so the page counts might still favor someone like Sim. In either case, though, you're looking away from the Big Two for these numbers.

Some of them were collaborations and he obviously hasn't wrote them all, but John Wagner has wrote a TON of Judge Dredd. I'd actually be curious to know exactly how many pages he has written with Dredd. It's a pretty long list just on what has been reprinted on his Wiki bibliography and really that only covers up until the early 90s. It would be harder to guage as Dredd has been a weekly, I'd have to figure it would be equivalent to a couple hundred US comics at this point and would be a bit more if you add in other titles he did set in Dredd's universe.

The problem with Wagner is that his run is broken up quite a bit. In the early years Alan Grant is sometimes soloing, and later on Wagner was trying to hand the series off to others at various points. He's written the majority of Dredd stories, but his longest *continuous* run probably doesn't amount to more than, say, 150 to 200 U.S. full-length comics. And even so, Sim would still have him beaten by a bit.

Then you have the world of newspaper strips and people like Charles Schulz who worked on Peanuts for close to 50 years

John Wagner also did a ton of Dredd under pseudonyms too. I'm sure there is SOMEONE that is deep into it enough to have it cataloged.

It's a very pretty impressive comic run and creator of an iconic character at that.

Gerhard doesn't get credit for all 300 issues of Cerebus; he started somewhere around #60, and he skipped one issue very close to the end of the run (Sim had to do all the art for that issue by himself, just like the early days). But if anyone beats Sim's 300-consecutive-issue run as writer, I don't know who it would be. That he was writer and (arguably) the primary artist for all those issues, over a 25-year period, is a record that exceeds that of any other writer or artist that I know of. Sim's record is marred, though, by the fact that he didn't have to meet deadlines imposed by an editor or a publisher. At one point, Cerebus was about five months behind (and let me tell you, it was bizarre seeing comics dated May coming out in the fall).

I remember taking note when Bendis and Bagley (on Ultimate Spider-Man) matched, then broke the Lee-Kirby Fantastic Four record. If Bendis has truly written every issue (I know Bagley went away for awhile), then he may be the top record-holder for longest string of consecutive issues on deadlines imposed by editors.

I swear Cronin did the math on this once but I can't find it. Robert Kanigher is up there.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

That was a great article. Wow...Bob Kanigher wrote a TON of comics!

Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo?
    BB