Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,047

    Default REVIEW: Earth 2 Annual, #2

    The new Batman's identity is revealed in the well-paced, superbly-drawn, and surprising "Earth 2 Annual" #2, by Tom Taylor, Robson Rocha, and Scott Hanna, which also provides the origin of, and link to, Earth 2's original Batman.


    Full review here.

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default

    My only beef with this issue was the scene where a young Thomas Wayne is witness to a shooting and saving the guys life, the inker or the artist got confused about who was who. The person who was Thomas on one page is now the victim's partner on the next. I pointed out this same thing happening in Tec#27 and I know I've seen it elsewhere. I just know that I'm seeing it a bit too regularly lately. The editors have got to step up.

  3. #3
    The Odd Man Ghost Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Even though the new Batman's identity as spoiled ahead of time, I still loved this issue. Great art, great story, and the new Batman's motivations are different enough from the original's that he's not just a pale copy. I also like how he acknowledge Hawkgirl's detective skills. Good stuff!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bayma View Post
    My only beef with this issue was the scene where a young Thomas Wayne is witness to a shooting and saving the guys life, the inker or the artist got confused about who was who. The person who was Thomas on one page is now the victim's partner on the next. I pointed out this same thing happening in Tec#27 and I know I've seen it elsewhere. I just know that I'm seeing it a bit too regularly lately. The editors have got to step up.
    In justice league 25 they kept getting captain cold and heat wave mixes up.

  5. #5

    Default

    I read comic books. I can suspend disbelief enough to believe in men and women who fly, shoot lasers from their eyes, and lift mountains. However, Mr. Taylor has asked me to buy into not just a gay Mafioso, not just an openly gay Mafioso, but an openly gay Mafioso in 1973. Yeah...I'm not buying that. Sensibilities about what's acceptable or tolerable in many segments of society in 2014 can't just be inserted into subcultures that are known to be less tolerant, and 40 years in the past, no less. And the icing? The "you're not allowed to stop partying now that you have a baby" bit. Again, I'm not finding a way to reconcile all of these things.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I was hoping for a supernatural batman.

  7. #7
    Senior Member hunter_peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Launceston, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhfrail View Post
    I read comic books. I can suspend disbelief enough to believe in men and women who fly, shoot lasers from their eyes, and lift mountains. However, Mr. Taylor has asked me to buy into not just a gay Mafioso, not just an openly gay Mafioso, but an openly gay Mafioso in 1973. Yeah...I'm not buying that. Sensibilities about what's acceptable or tolerable in many segments of society in 2014 can't just be inserted into subcultures that are known to be less tolerant, and 40 years in the past, no less. And the icing? The "you're not allowed to stop partying now that you have a baby" bit. Again, I'm not finding a way to reconcile all of these things.
    Maybe homophobia was never present on Earth 2. It's not like our world. But yes, I was thinking he'd have to be hugely powerful to get away with being openly gay in his line of work. :P

    Great issue, wish I hadn't been spoiled. Would have been AMAZING then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comicbookguy17 View Post
    I was hoping for a supernatural batman.
    Me too, I'll be interested to see how this leads into Hourman though. I assume Hourman's formula will be a lot stronger, with flight and such. Plus TylerCo bought WayneTech. So there's some interesting connective tissue there. Spirit of Vengeance would have suited the universe better, but also have been less shocking. Which, in the circumstances of a new type of Batman, is actually a bit important.
    Last edited by hunter_peterson; 02-05-2014 at 03:03 AM.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Maybe homophobia was never present on Earth 2. It's not like our world. But yes, I was thinking he'd have to be hugely powerful to get away with being openly gay in his line of work. :P
    1. Yeah, right... a world where bigotry never existed. Now that's fiction. I'm not trying to be snarky at you, really. I just don't thing human nature works that way. It only takes a handful of buttholes to run it for everyone.
    2. Didn't Alan Scott's boyfriend's father say something about not approving of his son's lifestyle? I'm not digging out the whole run to look, but again, that's a hang up that makes me not buy it. I've seen the Sopranos. Vito Spatafore, anyone?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •