Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand, #5

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at CATACLYSM: THE ULTIMATES' LAST STAND #5 - the universe shattering conclusion! From rock star creators Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley - New York City lays a smoldering ruin. Fractured, broken, and dead - the remaining Ultimates stand on the precipice of destruction, consumed by Galactus, the Devourer of Worlds! Galactus' World Eating machine is complete. With mere minutes left, the heroes of Earth must are out of time and out of options. Sacrifices must be made - and not everyone is coming back. Who lives? Who dies? It's Galactus vs. The Ultimates - and the winner will shock the Ultimate Universe to its core! After this, nothing will ever be the same again. Time is up this February in CATACLYSM: THE ULTIMATES' LAST STAND #5

Full article here.

That variant is awesome

I know Bendis loves Kitty but really...
    Last edited by UltimateTy; 01-30-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
    Buy The Punisher

Elder Member

Holy crap that's awesome!

I can't believe it has really come down to Giant Kitty vs. Galactus... I'm ready for the relaunch. No more events for a while.

This is what happens when you make the Hulk and Giant Man serums something everyone can take - you get known characters blowing up or hulking out and it just looks absurd.

I'm not up on my Ultimate X-Men, but why wasn't Giant Kitty annihilated in one panel? This seems kind of ridiculous.

Props to Bagley for making the fight look cool, but I still can't believe this is the big plan. Which means, unless this is oversized, we have at most 16 pages of non Kitty vs Galactus moments. I know that we've got Survive coming after this (at least, I assume we still do), but I hope there's at least SOME kind of conclusion within the actual event series itself.

I also hope this is the last time we see someone grow to stop a bad guy. It was just okay when Wasp did it, but at least it made sense. Then there were Hulk pills, which were awful. Then there was Giant Black Widow (it was her, right?), which was worse. And now Giant Kitty, which is maybe slightly better (though still pretty bad). Well really, I hope that this isn't how Galactus is stopped, because it's a stupid plan.

If you're going to reuse old plot devices, why not bust out the Ultimate Ultimate Nullifier from Ultimate Extinction? At least that would make sense.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    If you're going to reuse old plot devices, why not bust out the Ultimate Ultimate Nullifier from Ultimate Extinction? At least that would make sense.
    Bendis can't remember Bombshell's real name. He can't remember that the Daily Bugle was supposed to have gone all digital. He can't remember wither or not Iron Fist wears a mask.

And this is all stuff he wrote himself.

You can't expect him to remember something somebody else wrote.

Then there was Giant Black Widow (it was her, right?), which was worse. And now Giant Kitty, which is maybe slightly better (though still pretty bad). Well really, I hope that this isn't how Galactus is stopped, because it's a stupid plan.
    I'm not exactly sure who you're referring to here. There was a giant woman in a few issues, but I don't think it was Monica Chang.

Completely off topic but I'm reminded of the time the Exiles faced off with Galactus and they won by Thunderbird punching through Galactus' armor to drop a Nullifier inside of him. Such a fun and cool comic.
    Be more constructive with your feedback -- Jemaine

Props to Bagley for making the fight look cool, but I still can't believe this is the big plan. .
    It makes sense, Kitty uses her phasing abilities to destroy Galactus's planet eating machine. Clearly, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yoyo View Post
    I'm not exactly sure who you're referring to here. There was a giant woman in a few issues, but I don't think it was Monica Chang.
    It was in Humphries run, during DWF/UWS I believe. Black Widow uses Pym Particles to become giant temporarily. At least, I think it was her. It was exactly as dumb as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    It makes sense, Kitty uses her phasing abilities to destroy Galactus's planet eating machine. Clearly, it works.
    That doesn't mean it's good story telling. If Kitty phasing through something is the solution to all technology-based threats, things would be pretty boring. ESPECIALLY when you consider that this is a book called The Ultimates' Last Stand. This whole plot does not involve the Ultimates at all. So far the only thing the Ultimates have done is recruit Kitty, Miles, and Reed to let them take care of it.

Elder Member

It was in Humphries run, during DWF/UWS I believe. Black Widow uses Pym Particles to become giant temporarily. At least, I think it was her. It was exactly as dumb as it sounds.
    That was Stature and she was amazing. I loved it when she caught the helicarrier. So badass. At the end of Hickman's run Hulk used them though and it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    That was Stature and she was amazing. I loved it when she caught the helicarrier. So badass. At the end of Hickman's run Hulk used them though and it was awesome.
    Nope, it was Widow. Though I had it backwards, she used them to be small. Either way, it was dumb.

And yes, the Giant Hulk wasn't that great either - totally forgot about that, too.

Elder Member

Nope, it was Widow. Though I had it backwards, she used them to be small. Either way, it was dumb.
    That was badass and you know it! In fact, it reminds me of the scene from that Ant-Man test footage.