Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: Millar Unveils Millarworld From "MPH" To Hitch & Murphy

With the "Kick-Ass 3" finale opening up his new fictional universe, Mark Millar shares exclusive art from his Millarworld books including "MPH" & teasers for projects with Bryan Hitch and Sean Murphy.

Full article here.

Seriously? Hitch and Murphy doing books, one's got a big superhero thing one's doing horror, and it's supposed to be an actual guess which is which? Riddle of the ages, right here. Though the idea of Murphy doing a big bombastic superhero title is fun, I can hardly picture Hitch doing horror. And I guess this confirms the original report that JL will be three sets of 10 issues.

"The biggest artist in the industry"? Who's bigger than Hitch or Quitely? Lenil Yu's hardly in that category, and while John Cassady, Steve McNiven and J.G. Jones are still considered star artists, they're hardly in contention for 'biggest'. Jim Lee, Ivan Reis and Greg Capullo are obvious no-goes, so who else is there? J.H. Williams III (and speaking as a dude who really likes most of Millar's work, even I have to say that'd be a tremendous waste)? Francesco Francavilla? Jerome Opena? Maybe Esad Ribic, what with how much Millar's gushed about how his and Jason Aaron's Thor is the best thing Marvel's done in years.
    Best of the Best
    Grant Morrison; Alan Moore; Mark Waid; Warren Ellis; Mark Millar (when not all Millar-y); Elliot S! Maggin; Kurt Busiek; Jonathan Hickman; Matt Fraction; Jason Aaron; Garth Ennis.

If he did put Hitch on horror, and Murphy on a superhero comic, I would respect his bold choice of going against commercial expectations, and I would love to read those comics.

i guess i'm happy these artists are going to make lots of money? meh

Murphy and Quitely is a tremendous loss for me.
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser of Truth View Post
    Seriously? Hitch and Murphy doing books, one's got a big superhero thing one's doing horror, and it's supposed to be an actual guess which is which? Riddle of the ages, right here. Though the idea of Murphy doing a big bombastic superhero title is fun, I can hardly picture Hitch doing horror. And I guess this confirms the original report that JL will be three sets of 10 issues.
    I can't see any way Quitely will be working on the next set of 10 issues of JL by next Spring. Maybe they will stop after issue 5 and come back next year with the next 5 and call that vol. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Beebe View Post
    If he did put Hitch on horror, and Murphy on a superhero comic, I would respect his bold choice of going against commercial expectations, and I would love to read those comics.
    Murphy on superheroes could be great. Hitch on the other hand, terrific as he is, doesn't seem at all well-suited to the demands of that genre. I'd be delighted to find myself surprised, though. More interesting, to me, is the idea of Millar doing a horror book, given that it will have to involve some marginal degree of subtlety on his part, given that he said he's not going full-on slasher.
    Best of the Best
    Grant Morrison; Alan Moore; Mark Waid; Warren Ellis; Mark Millar (when not all Millar-y); Elliot S! Maggin; Kurt Busiek; Jonathan Hickman; Matt Fraction; Jason Aaron; Garth Ennis.

Well... Sean Murphy has another Image book following this one, so I'll read that!

(also, because I'll be able to, since it'll probably released day and date digitally)

So glad that he told us 2 of the 3 main characters in Kick Ass will die. Sure, I was expecting death but I rather read it on my own and not have it spoiled for me

I bet Kick-Ass 3 ends with Hitgirl/Kick-Ass becoming a comic book writer.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

I have considerably less interest in reading any of these books now that I know they're all connected in some way. Self-contained really does seem to be a bad word to some folks. I wanted to read all of them, but now they all seem like Marvel/DC wannabes. Thankfully the market is filled with books not written by Mark Millar and not connected to any other books that I can read instead.

☿Mecurial master of media Living Silver's Avatar

"The biggest artist in the industry"? Who's bigger than Hitch or Quitely? Lenil Yu's hardly in that category, and while John Cassady, Steve McNiven and J.G. Jones are still considered star artists, they're hardly in contention for 'biggest'. Jim Lee, Ivan Reis and Greg Capullo are obvious no-goes, so who else is there? J.H. Williams III (and speaking as a dude who really likes most of Millar's work, even I have to say that'd be a tremendous waste)? Francesco Francavilla? Jerome Opena? Maybe Esad Ribic, what with how much Millar's gushed about how his and Jason Aaron's Thor is the best thing Marvel's done in years.
    Murphy draws some kick-ass superheros in Joe the Barbarian- he's totally capable of a super hero book.

As far as biggest artist in the industry, maybe Todd McFarlane, Joe Maduriera, or J. Scott Campbell? You know, guys that have drawn single issues that sold millions?

Quote Originally Posted by Living Silver View Post
    As far as biggest artist in the industry, maybe Todd McFarlane, Joe Maduriera, or J. Scott Campbell? You know, guys that have drawn single issues that sold millions?
    Dude.

I've got it. I know who the biggest artist in the industry is right now.

Maybe he'll do Nemesis 3.
    Best of the Best

☿Mecurial master of media Living Silver's Avatar

Dude.

I've got it. I know who the biggest artist in the industry is right now.

Maybe he'll do Nemesis 3.
    I think you may be right. He's got a stack of Eisners, as well as a number of spots on the New York Times Bestseller list for his work on Oz. His regular variants are super popular, and he can totally handle a super hero book (see his New X-Men work). Charlie Allard is also a hot seller as the artist on The Walking Dead (the best selling book in the industry two years in a row), but his work isn't seen all over the place like Young's is. Besides, I'm pretty sure Kirkman has Allard on lock-down.

Quote Originally Posted by Living Silver View Post
    I think you may be right. He's got a stack of Eisners, as well as a number of spots on the New York Times Bestseller list for his work on Oz. His regular variants are super popular, and he can totally handle a super hero book (see his New X-Men work). Charlie Allard is also a hot seller as the artist on The Walking Dead (the best selling book in the industry two years in a row), but his work isn't seen all over the place like Young's is. Besides, I'm pretty sure Kirkman has Allard on lock-down.

This is his face while he's loving you for who you are.
    Best of the Best