Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    I'm against the idea for two reasons.

1) I'd like it more if it was truly the one and only Otto using Peter's body all along
    2) I'd prefer it more if Slott didn't opt for such an obvious way out, because honestly I think Peter believing he's Otto in Peter's body has been mentioned around since December 2012.
    Well it is Otto's memories and Personality that were implanted into Peter's body.

So as far as Peter knows he is Otto at this time until his real personality that remains eventually takes his body back from the invasive personality that shouldn't be there.

Wouldn't say it's obvious since many more believe that it's Otto and not just Peter brainwashed into believing he's Otto.

Quote Originally Posted by President Kang View Post
    I think both personalities co-exist at the same time in each brain, even if Ock didn't intend it but that's a side effect. That's why Ghost Pete is still there (and Flash said Venom was picking up "two radio signals playing ontop of each other") but one is the "primary" one running the show. So Ock/Pete exist inside of Pete's brain (and sometimes squabble) and Pete/Ock would have existed in Ock's body at the same time (but Pete was running the show so we didn't see the Ock of it all). Therefore, Pete and Ock died in Ock's body. But Pete and Ock both co-exist inside of Pete's body. Even though Ock doesn't want that to happen, it's Pete's body and brain, you can't get rid of him (Ock's super-scientific plans always have some sort of inherent flaw that breaks them apart in the end). As for purging Ock from Pete's brain, the "how that is going to work" is going to be resolved in the next few issues.
    Very interesting theory.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 01-31-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Wouldn't say it's obvious since many more believe that it's Otto and not just Peter brainwashed into believing he's Otto.
    As far as the theories of how is Peter going to come back go, I think it is easily one of the most common ones
    Waiting for DC to create their own comic streaming service...

It would kinda also make Peter partly responsible for the adventures of Spock...

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    It would kinda also make Peter partly responsible for the adventures of Spock...
    Why would it? His memory and personality were overwritten. He cannot be held accountable for losing control after someone put their imprint over his against his will.

In all honesty, I dislike the notion that Otto isn't 'Otto' and is merely Peter convinced he was Otto. Is it possible? Absoutely. The method of transferral could easily lead to this being used as an explanation.

But I don't like it for a simple reason: All the character development and neatness we've seen from Otto Octavius would be jettisoned. This might happen anyways, but I suspect that a lot of us wouldn't like it.

I wouldn't say that. Otto is dead, but his implanted personality and memories could be placed elsewhere after Peter returns.

So even though the person called Otto is dead the memories, experiences, growth, and personality still live on. Currently they're in Peter as Peter's true self, his Ghost per say, claws his way to the top as Goblin Nation breaks Spock down so Peter has a fighting chance.

The Superior SpideyClone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    In all honesty, I dislike the notion that Otto isn't 'Otto' and is merely Peter convinced he was Otto. Is it possible? Absoutely. The method of transferral could easily lead to this being used as an explanation.

But I don't like it for a simple reason: All the character development and neatness we've seen from Otto Octavius would be jettisoned. This might happen anyways, but I suspect that a lot of us wouldn't like it.
    That's what I'm afraid of. That the Otto in Peter is just a program, and the "real Otto", was just hiding somewhere, repairing his body for the moment when he could come back and defeat Spidey as himself. In the meantime, the "Otto program" slowly subverts Spidey's life while in his body.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of. That the Otto in Peter is just a program, and the "real Otto", was just hiding somewhere, repairing his body for the moment when he could come back and defeat Spidey as himself. In the meantime, the "Otto program" slowly subverts Spidey's life while in his body.
    I really doubt Slott will go this way. It devalues the run and the development he's put into it, but I understand why it's a theory held by some fans.

The real question is what's going to happen to this version of Otto Octavius, though. I've always said that Peter Parker will be fine, would be back eventually, and would be off getting his life back in order after the mess Otto had made of it by his standards. The /really/ interesting questions are about where Otto will go and what will happen to him.

I'm pretty much counting on this version of the character going away even if it isn't what I want. It's what I expect, though.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-01-2014 at 07:21 PM.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

I got a question. If Doctor Octopus could swap minds why didn't he make a clone of himself and put his mind in the cloned body.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    I got a question. If Doctor Octopus could swap minds why didn't he make a clone of himself and put his mind in the cloned body.
    Because he wanted Peter's body.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    Because taking Peter's body was the only option available to him. Peter had made his brain accessible to him by using Ock's equipment, so Ock uploaded his consciousness into Pete's body because of that connection, and displaced Peter's in doing so. Also, Otto's dislike of clones has been shown on several occasions throughout the run. He considers them abominations.

There's no point of Ock putting his mind into another body that has the same degenerate condition that's causing him to die in the first place. But that also means he can't really go back to his old body either, because its still dying, even if restored.

He's going to hate himself if he gets put in Peter's cloned body.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    There's no point of Ock putting his mind into another body that has the same degenerate condition that's causing him to die in the first place. But that also means he can't really go back to his old body either, because its still dying, even if restored.
    I thought Ock's condition was caused by all the beatings he took.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

It does seem to be a bit obvious (Spock being just Peter with memories overwritten) at this point, so if they were to do it, it's not much of a surprise. Is it actually possible for the Spidey team to come up with something plausible that people haven't thought up of yet and discussed on the boards? The key word being plausible.

Or will they come up with something that people haven't thought of because it's just ridiculous and people will look at it and think "what a stupid ending". It kind of seems this is the curse of the internet in some ways...