Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "iZombie" Gets CW Pilot Order

The latest in-development DC Comics-based TV project to get a pilot order is "iZombie," based on the 2010-2012 Vertigo series.

Full article here.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Ugh, the CW.

Keyboard Warrior Y The Last Nerd's Avatar

Are Chris Roberson and Mike Allred involved in this in any way, or receiving any money from it? If not, I don't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Y The Last Nerd View Post
    Are Chris Roberson and Mike Allred involved in this in any way, or receiving any money from it? If not, I don't support it.
    Especially when you consider Roberson's recent departure from DC Comics.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Gonna jump on that zombie bandwagon . Get that Walking Dead $$$$$ .
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Y The Last Nerd View Post
    Considering it was a creator-owned series, they'd have to be receiving money for it.
    "Life is like a detective story. It starts with a dame, and ends with a funeral..."

So, are we gonna stomp zombies into the ground along with vampires? Isn't anybody in Hollywood original anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by The Government Inspector View Post
    Considering it was a creator-owned series, they'd have to be receiving money for it.
    Not necessarily. Vertigo doesn't work that way, do they? I thought whatever got created for Vertigo, DC Comics essentially owned. It's the case even for the Sandman - they just tend to tread lightly because of how respected Gaiman is.

Anyway.. Not looking forward to this. Allred's art was really part of the appeal, I don't think a TV show will get the quirkiness down at all, and I really don't want it to just be some crime procedural show, only with a dead girl lead. That's not what the book was about at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Ugh, the CW.
    There we go again. Even with Supernatural, The Originals, Nikita and critically acclaimed and fan favorite Arrow on air, people like these still make the same remarks as if CW don't produce any good shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Statham View Post
    Not necessarily. Vertigo doesn't work that way, do they? I thought whatever got created for Vertigo, DC Comics essentially owned. It's the case even for the Sandman - they just tend to tread lightly because of how respected Gaiman is.

Anyway.. Not looking forward to this. Allred's art was really part of the appeal, I don't think a TV show will get the quirkiness down at all, and I really don't want it to just be some crime procedural show, only with a dead girl lead. That's not what the book was about at all.
    https://twitter.com/chris_roberson/s...81438105546752

I'm enormously proud of the work that @AllredMD and I did on iZombie, and I can't wait to see what @RobThomas and company do with the idea.
    Also, no DC comics does not own anything. The only thing is that any live or cartoon adaptations are owned by WB and only WB have the right to produce the adaptations, creators are often in various degree of production, from sole consultation to downright being producers.

I really don't mind the fact that it's coming from The Cw, especially with shows like Supernatural, Cult, Arrow, The Tomorrow People, Smallville and more. With 4 seasons or so of Veronica Mars under their belt, I'd say they're well versed in running a show, dealing with the characters, a procedural, etc.

Think the premise sounds fairly interesting, did when I first heard it last year. Don't know if I'll end up continuously watching it, along with all the other shows, but might give it a go when it comes around.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Statham View Post

What? Sandman was a character based on an older character that was set in the DCU. Gaiman didn't own it because it wasn't a creator owned book.

iZombie is original work. Being published by Vertigo just means they have the rights to adapt it and they need to let go of it for the owners to be able to take it elsewhere. So, yeah, they'll get money from this.

It sort of lost me at "supernatural crime procedural" which doesn't sound anything at all like the comics.

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    It sort of lost me at "supernatural crime procedural" which doesn't sound anything at all like the comics.
    The Scooby Doo Mystery Gang idea was planted and used a little bit the series. They had so many high, standard, and low concepts they could've taken the series in lots of directions. It's a shame it didn't last longer but we did get an ending. Maybe the show will extent out some more of those concepts.

I can see them making Gwen eat more brains so the over arching story is floated around the "crime of the week" motifs. Kind of like Burn Notice and a few other crime/spy/procedural shows. I think it's still very much in the vein, spirit, and concepts of the books.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-30-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

gwen

"Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    gwen

Obligatory fan spec reply:

She looks like Gwen with her hair pixied.

spoilers:
    Mostly joking. Mostly.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-30-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur