Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Jeff Parker Blasts Dynamite's New "Flash Gordon" Series Into Orbit

Jeff Parker discusses writing Dynamite's new "Flash Gordon" series, the character's enduring popularity and, of course, Timothy Dalton's Barin.

Full article here.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

I was hoping for a Mandrake ongoing.

the link doesn't work...

EDIT: works now...
    Last edited by crossbones; 01-30-2014 at 11:27 AM.

I like Jeff Parkers work (Thunderbolts), and he did a similar themed book for Marvel called " Agents of Atlas" , so I'm sure he'll do fine with a Pulp heros like Flash Gordon, and team book which is pretty much Defenders of the Earth "Kings Watch".

My instant reaction was "he looks like Carol Danvers!"

Master of All I Survey

It's key that they remain close to what Alex Raymond established, and sounds like that's the basic approach. It's okay to go in new directions so long as the core is recognizable.

My intro to Flash Gordon was the filmation cartoon from 1979, then the comic book, then the old strips. If you're not familiar with Flash Gordon, and intend on trying this new series, I'd suggest trying out the cartoon and any strips or books that feature Alex Raymond or Al Williamson. I think they best represent the franchise. Stay away from the movie and other drawn offerings at first; they don't best represent what these characters are about (although the movie does get some things right).

My favorite bit of FG trivia is that George Lucas wanted to make a Flash Gordon movie in 1974 but King Features wanted too much money and too much creative control. Oh what a stupid idea THAT was!

My first exposure to FG was the Jim Keefe comic strips, I also liked Dan Jurgens DC series from the 80's.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Mummra I had that first thought too!! The new Captain Marvel is so butch lesbianish looking that when I first clicked on the article that's who I thought I was getting.

LOL !

I hadn't thought about it, but you're exactly right !
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Jeff Parker on FLASH GORDON is like a dream come true for me.

I'm excited but I also have a deep fear that Dynamite will axe the book once sales dip as they often do with their books.
    @BslyTheGamerGuy (Twitter)
    Http://Bslydarksky.blogspot.com (Blog) - Updated 3/31/14 FCBD with DARK HORSE and PROJECT BLACK SKY!!

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Dynamite isn't bad when it comes to keeping the books, and I don't know the last time they put out a title as big as this is likely to be.

I'm pretty pumped. It's one of those books I'm guaranteed to like.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    Dynamite isn't bad when it comes to keeping the books, and I don't know the last time they put out a title as big as this is likely to be.

I'm pretty pumped. It's one of those books I'm guaranteed to like.
    They out out big titles all the time and then once the superstar writer finishes his/her commitment they replace them with a no-name and stop promoting the books which causes orders to drop off. When orders drop off they cancel the books instead of doing something to fix the issue at hand.
    @BslyTheGamerGuy (Twitter)
    Http://Bslydarksky.blogspot.com (Blog) - Updated 3/31/14 FCBD with DARK HORSE and PROJECT BLACK SKY!!

I was burned by Zeitgeist, so much so that I passed on Kings Watch; and Im not familiar with Parker's work.

But now enough time has passed to wash away the bad taste and Im considering giving this a try, I have a soft spot for Flash Gordon considering the late 70s cartoons were my very first exposure to SciFi.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    I was hoping for a Mandrake ongoing.
    who knows, maybe that's coming too? we might even get The Phantom.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    I was burned by Zeitgeist, so much so that I passed on Kings Watch; and Im not familiar with Parker's work.
    Kings Watch kinda reboots Flash Gordon. and this book spins out of that.