Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Why Empire's "Days of Future Past" Covers Instill Worry, Hope for Singer's Epic

Brett White looks at Empire's "Days of Future Past" covers, separates the strong from the weak and explains what they may mean for the time-traveling film.

Full article here.

as probably the next biggest xmen fan.... this was pure gold, everything said was truth.

i waited 29 yrs to see an xmen movie that lived up to the books... im probably still gonna be waiting after this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by dotWILSON View Post
    as probably the next biggest xmen fan.... this was pure gold, everything said was truth.

i waited 29 yrs to see an xmen movie that lived up to the books... im probably still gonna be waiting after this one too.
    Might not have to wait for too long. X-Men: Apocalypse is in 2016. If that one fails to please fans too, then you should just stop waiting for a live action movie and just settle for an animated version from Marvel.

Much of this looks very cool...but the thing that worries me the most...that has pretty much ruined this series for me...is that I just don't understand how you can tell the story of the X-Men without Cyclops.
    "You know, every now and then Summers, I remember why you're in charge."-Wolverine

I agree with all these posts. I also agree 99% with what Brett wrote except I am not excited for this film and haven't been excited for and FOX or Sony film since X3 and Spider-Man 3. They really do make me upset that they are making a profit on these terrible films and as a result are keepin the movie rights away from marvel.... :(

What makes me worried is we already have been told by Singer Rogue is out of the movie! That makes me very worried!

Not to jump in on this, but I wrote a whole article about an hour ago on the same subject here if anyone is interested in checking it out. Very much dislike the Warpath look.
    Last edited by nosocialize100; 01-28-2014 at 02:23 PM.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I'm actually not that excited about this movie, either. I really love X2 and X:FC, but there's something that seems really off about this project. I am still going to go see it, but I get the feeling that Singer hasn't really learned a lot from some of the things that plagued his movies, namely bland costumes and wire-fu action sequences. I really hated both of those aspects of the X-Men movies he had a hand in. In a post-Avengers world, there shouldn't be any doubt about movie costumes being a little more colourful.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

I find it silly they're claiming it's the "biggest ever superhero movie." This is going to instill in people's minds high expectations setting themselves up to fail.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

The only images that work for me are past-Magneto, future-Xavier and both Sentinels.

The problem with the future X-Men is that half of them are new, which means they will either just stand there saying nothing, or get quickly killed off. Sorry Colossus! Shame about Rogue; I expected to see her over Bobby and fully comfortable with her powers.

I'm getting more interested in the status quo coming out of this story than the story itself.
    $3.99 IS TOO MUCH FOR A COMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by anthony! View Post
    The only images that work for me are past-Magneto, future-Xavier and both Sentinels.

The problem with the future X-Men is that half of them are new, which means they will either just stand there saying nothing, or get quickly killed off. Sorry Colossus! Shame about Rogue; I expected to see her over Bobby and fully comfortable with her powers.

I'm getting more interested in the status quo coming out of this story than the story itself.
    What do you like about future Xavier? I don't get it myself, from the mini jet packs on his wheelchair to his too long and turtle-like body armor. Just odd looking overall I think.

Going back to the criticism of superhero movies not wearing masks....well that's a little obvious, isn't it? There's practical purposes for that. Why do you think each Spider-Man movie makes sure to have Peter unmasked at key emotional points. Otherwise you might as well be looking at a CGI construction, not a character.

And it's not just Mr. White's article (which I otherwise enjoyed) either. I still see people complaining about Iron Man not wearing a helmet on the Avengers poster or the amount of time he spends outside the suit.

Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anthony! View Post

That's pretty much how I feel. Most of the X-men look like cosplay or boring. The cosplay looking characters could look very different with movie lightening and what not but there isn't much hope for Iceman, Quicksilver or Kitty who just look plain and bad. I think he is correct in implying a post Avengers movie world has room for more costumes and they should have done something with characters like Kitty and 70's emo quicksilver.

And something needs to be done about Magneto's pants. Magneto on top and male stripper on the bottom? No thanks.

Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I find it silly they're claiming it's the "biggest ever superhero movie." This is going to instill in people's minds high expectations setting themselves up to fail.
    Yeah, I don't think largest cast equates biggest super hero movie.

I'm happy with Blink, but expect her to be minor.

I think they're overall a solid "Meh." Some look bad, some look decent (but not many) and the rest just look bland. The future costumes make some sense (some of them), but they largely have no personality. It's been that way the whole series and these do look better than the old black leather, but they're still just kinda boring.

I don't get Xavier's rocketchair. Yeah, sure, Jim Lee rocket chair, but... why? Putting aside how it could be possible for Xavier to even be there, looking like himself, still crippled and all, they're mutants, it's the future, and he has a rocket powered chair. Surely, they could rig up some leg braces or something that make him walk. They often in the comics and cartoons when he's shown in the future.

Some people have armor that don't need it. Some people need armor but don't have it.

What worries me most is the mountain of continuity problems this movie has before it even begins. I really wish First Class had been a reboot because it was decent on it's own. With as much as X3 and Origins screwed things up, connecting FC to the previous movies is just going to make this impossible for me to accept from a narrative perspective. Even if it's good on it's own, they're purposefully linking it to the rest of the movies, which destroys it before it even starts. Actually, I really would have preferred they just accept X3 and move on with better directors, but continuing with Bobby, Kitty and Rogue being the leaders of the next generation of X-Men.

Or, you know, just scrap it all and let Marvel do it right.

And Anna Paquin as Lady Not-Appearing-In-This-Movie!

Quote Originally Posted by JTFSX View Post
    I just don't understand how you can tell the story of the X-Men without Cyclops.
    Joyfully and without reserves.
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution