Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,918

    Default EXCLUSIVE: Williams & McKean Cover "Sandman: Overture" #2

    Check out an exclusive first look at the "Sandman: Overture" #2 variants by J.H. Williams III and original "Sandman" cover artist Dave McKean.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    123

    Default

    It feels like Gaiman has been phoning in his career for the last 6 years. "Ocean at the End of the Lane" was OK but it felt as though it were missing something. Also, it was really, really short.

    Now, Gaiman couldn't even be bothered to focus on Sandman: Overture.

    Maybe Gaiman should look into drinking more coffee. Or taking an anti-ADHD pharmaceutical.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by il Mysterio View Post
    It feels like Gaiman has been phoning in his career for the last 6 years. "Ocean at the End of the Lane" was OK but it felt as though it were missing something. Also, it was really, really short.

    Now, Gaiman couldn't even be bothered to focus on Sandman: Overture.

    Maybe Gaiman should look into drinking more coffee. Or taking an anti-ADHD pharmaceutical.
    If anything, I'd say that he was overextended. In the past year, he's published an adult novel, a kid's novel, and one or two picture books. And that's just the stuff I remember. Not saying it was all fantastic (I haven't read most of it yet), but that's well beyond the output of most authors, excepting maybe Stephen King during his days on cocaine.

    That said, I do see the massive delay between issues 1 and 2 as fairly unprofessional, though I'm not sure who to blame. Maybe Gaiman for not turning over scripts quickly enough, maybe Williams for getting behind on the art, or maybe DC for rushing the first issue out the door when the script for the second wasn't in hand. Or, maybe all three. It's deeply frustrating from a reader's perspective (I would much rather the whole thing be delayed until it's ready, rather than seeing six months between issues), but at least I have more confidence that this series will eventually be finished than I would were it someone/something else.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Statham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by il Mysterio View Post
    It feels like Gaiman has been phoning in his career for the last 6 years. "Ocean at the End of the Lane" was OK but it felt as though it were missing something. Also, it was really, really short.

    Now, Gaiman couldn't even be bothered to focus on Sandman: Overture.

    Maybe Gaiman should look into drinking more coffee. Or taking an anti-ADHD pharmaceutical.
    When you have a career like Gaiman's, I think you can afford to phone it in for a few years. Also, way to twist what's said in the article and/or imply that he has health issues because he takes on a lot of work. Typical over-entitled attitude from a so-called 'fan'.

  5. #5
    Homosexual Propagandist Supernature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Weevil View Post
    If anything, I'd say that he was overextended. In the past year, he's published an adult novel, a kid's novel, and one or two picture books. And that's just the stuff I remember. Not saying it was all fantastic (I haven't read most of it yet), but that's well beyond the output of most authors, excepting maybe Stephen King during his days on cocaine.

    That said, I do see the massive delay between issues 1 and 2 as fairly unprofessional, though I'm not sure who to blame. Maybe Gaiman for not turning over scripts quickly enough, maybe Williams for getting behind on the art, or maybe DC for rushing the first issue out the door when the script for the second wasn't in hand. Or, maybe all three. It's deeply frustrating from a reader's perspective (I would much rather the whole thing be delayed until it's ready, rather than seeing six months between issues), but at least I have more confidence that this series will eventually be finished than I would were it someone/something else.
    Gaiman already admitted the delay was his fault, if I remember correctly.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Gaiman already admitted the delay was his fault, if I remember correctly.
    He did, it was on his tumblr. Said he lost track of time during a signing tour and admitted it was very unprofessional. I really loved the first issue, so I can't be too mad. I hope the rest stays on schedule.

  7. #7
    Oh I can change this! sequential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by il Mysterio View Post
    It feels like Gaiman has been phoning in his career for the last 6 years. "Ocean at the End of the Lane" was OK but it felt as though it were missing something. Also, it was really, really short.
    I had the exact same sentiment after finishing Ocean.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •