Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default 11 Titles Which Deserve a New 52 Revival

With change rolling through DC Comics' New 52 in April, CBR looks at what titles and characters deserve time in the spotlight in the DCU.

Full article here.

Booster Gold!

Odd that they didn't mention Shazam; that seems a more obvious choice than, say, the New Gods.

Speaking generally, New Gods is probably not going to work, certainly not with the talent available and regularly tapped by DC lately. Outside of China Mieville or Grant Morrison, I'm not getting excited.

Black Canary seems like a better lead for "Birds of Prey" than her own solo, where you can combine a bunch of marginally popular characters into something with a following. That title also has, some 10+ years on, some following of its own.

Nothing really screams "Deathstroke" to me as a viable property. It's a fine character, but you're looking at Punisher without any of the pathos. Leave him an antagonist. Ongoings tend to dilute antagonists anyway.

Which is really the main problem behind Joker, a character who has always worked better as a force, a presence, than as a character. He's inhuman, lacking past and future, living only in the second. Perhaps a mini series focusing on the way he impacts the lives around him would work, but certainly no ongoing.

Azrael doesn't have much to him that makes him strong OR weak. He's just sort of there. So I don't see much impetus to put him forward.

This version of the JSA is clever, but doomed to failure, I think. Still, I wouldn't mind this actually as a backstory.

So that's 6 that I don't really think are going to work, either creatively or financially or both. I'd be inclined to replace them with...

Shazam
    Booster Gold
    Justice Society (secondary team of Wonders, run by the World Gov., on Earth 2)
    Hawkman (dune-esque)
    Seven Soldiers
    Secret Six (by Gail Simone)

Fully support Question, Legion, Doom Patrol, Teen Titans and Young Justice (though I'd quibble with certain directions; Teen Titans I'd make roughly the same as the previous iteration with all your popular characters like Superboy and Robin and Wonder Girl, Young Justice I'd turn into a very weird, off kilter team with under-the-radar fan faves and new characters, a la Gillen's Young Avengers).

To keep that villain flavor (since a lot of the books Newsarama suggested were villainy), Secret Six should do the job. Still the best thign Gail Simone has ever done, by far.
    Last edited by Desaad; 01-28-2014 at 07:07 AM.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Please do an Elongated Man mystery series, not arcs longer than 3 issues.

I just want a series with this guy:

And one with this guy:

I like a number of the suggestions, but I'm not sure about the reasoning for Azrael getting a title. The "Dark line is not one that I'd call much of a success since only Justice League: Dark and Swamp Thing remain from the original string of titles. Azrael would definitely benefit more from his Bat-family ties.
    Last edited by Ghost.; 01-28-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    Pull List: Animal Man, Avengers Arena, Suicide Risk, Suicide Squad, Superior Foes, Swamp Thing, X-Men
    Trade Waiting: Superior Spider-Man, Unwritten, The Walking Dead

I'm right there with you on Doom Patrol. And I would list Metal Men; there hasn't been much of them. Also, Hawk-Man and Doctor Fate are two who are good for solo books.

I prefer DC to Marvel, put I tend to gravitate away from the Superman, Bat-Man titles, mostly enjoying the less common DC characters.

I would say Shazam, Deathstroke, Blue Beetle, Teen titans, Booster gold, Doom patrol, Hawkman, Legion of superheroes, Justice society, Black canary, the Rogues
    Favorite comics out right now:
    1 Superior foes of Spider-man 2 Uncanny avengers
    3 Green arrow/Red lanterns 4 Wonder woman 5 Thor/Black science

Favorite comic character: Deathstroke

Some of those suggestions are way off. Why give another shot to Deathstroke, who just failed? Joker? They've got Harley Quinn already, and Lex is way too prominent. A solo for Joker risks overexposure, and cements the nu52 as grim/dark beyond redemption.

Azreal? Why? He was only useful ever as a two story character, and those two stories were over LONG ago.

I'd drop Worlds' Finest and replace it with a new Power Girl solo, fold Helena Wayne back into Earth 2, and put up a new Helena B Huntress for the main Earth, in BOP.

Doom Patrol is okay, though it hasn't done well as of late when attempted. With the right talent, LOSH could work again. But banking on recapturing lightning in a bottle is risky.

New Gods? Meh, they've always worked best in small doses for me. Kirby isn't around to guide them any more, and few of the reboots have worked.

A new LEGION would be nice. Fire and Ice. A new JLI. Blue and Gold. And of course the previously mentioned Power Girl.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

Wow, this is one of the few times when I can't really disagree with ANY of the suggestions on this list. I especially love the Black Canary, Deathstroke, and New Gods suggestions. Personally, I'd swap out Joker for a Shazam book, and perhaps Metal Man for a Poison Ivy ongoing. But still, the suggestions are decent nonetheless. Here's my list, at least so far:
    Huntress (Helena Bertinelli).
    Shazam (written by Geoff Johns).
    Black Canary.
    Poison Ivy.
    Deathstroke.
    Black Bat/Spoiler team up book.
    Zatanna.

I like a few of the suggestions and would also add the Unknown Soldier. The Question, Azrael (JPV), Deathstroke and US are all titles I'd love to see, but frankly, I envision every single one of them as a 'Max' style Mature Readers series and not part of the New 52.

Though I agree with COH, that version of the Question was awesome and I wish he had his own cartoon series.

I see US as a cross between Nick Fury and the Punisher. Deathstroke was awesome for like 20 issues when Wolfman wrote him as a merc with a complex and fluid set of morality/system of honor before turning him into a 'hero' (after that it was all down hill for DS). I see the Question as one of the last true investigative journalists that hasn't sold his soul to the corporate media - who uncovers global conspiracies and has a blog and underground pod cast show to expose them. Azrael needs to go back to being an assassin for a secret religious order, unabashedly religious in nature, a book that takes a hard look at the big questions of God and religion all while serving up awesome doses of a fiery angel protecting his church. How DC couldn't make a visual as amazing as what Quesada came up with combined withbeing an assassin for an ancient religious order work during the height of the Da Vinci Code craze is beyond me. Then again, not reving US during the height of the War on Terror is beyond me. Strange.

I'd like a mystical detective book starring -

The Question
    Elongated Man
    Doctor Occult (a new one, since he died)
    Detective Chimp

And I want it to be called... wait for it... mysDICK... No? :(
    Last edited by Austin316; 01-28-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    Some of those suggestions are way off. Why give another shot to Deathstroke, who just failed? Joker? They've got Harley Quinn already, and Lex is way too prominent. A solo for Joker risks overexposure, and cements the nu52 as grim/dark beyond redemption.

Azreal? Why? He was only useful ever as a two story character, and those two stories were over LONG ago.

I'd drop Worlds' Finest and replace it with a new Power Girl solo, fold Helena Wayne back into Earth 2, and put up a new Helena B Huntress for the main Earth, in BOP.

Doom Patrol is okay, though it hasn't done well as of late when attempted. With the right talent, LOSH could work again. But banking on recapturing lightning in a bottle is risky.

New Gods? Meh, they've always worked best in small doses for me. Kirby isn't around to guide them any more, and few of the reboots have worked.

A new LEGION would be nice. Fire and Ice. A new JLI. Blue and Gold. And of course the previously mentioned Power Girl.
    Deathstroke failed because of bad writing, like every book would do with bad writing. If he gets a good writer now, he will probably succeed
    Favorite comics out right now:
    1 Superior foes of Spider-man 2 Uncanny avengers
    3 Green arrow/Red lanterns 4 Wonder woman 5 Thor/Black science

Favorite comic character: Deathstroke

I would buy all of those books, depending on the writers involved…except Joker. I will never buy a Joker ongoing.