Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Agents of SHIELD" Crew Opens Up on Criticism, Expectations & the Remainder of Season One

Stars Clark Greg & Chloe Bennet, and exec. producers Jeph Loeb, Jeffrey Bell, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen discuss the future of "SHIELD."

Full article here.

When Agent Grant Ward stepped onto this shift, that was a brand-new opportunity for an audience to be able to go, 'We like that guy. We want to know more about that guy.'"
    Well, there's your problem: Comic book fans don't do this. They HATE new guys. They want the old guys, and only the old guys they like, and they want them now, or you're the worst person ever.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Well, there's your problem: Comic book fans don't do this. They HATE new guys. They want the old guys, and only the old guys they like, and they want them now, or you're the worst person ever.
    At one point, Agent Coulson was a new guy. So that's not true.

That may be true, but in this case, they're right. Comic fans don't mind if the new characters are interesting. But in what reality are ANY fans clamoring to find out more about Agent Ward or any of the other ultra-bland characters on this show? But Deathlok as a character on this show? Sign me up! Please, let him become one of the main characters. Create a new Asgardian noble character that Thor sends here to learn humility or something. Anything but the characters we now have to slog through these boring episodes with.

Please!

Something about the criticism I don't understand is this, it's called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's not called "Avengers the TV show". Expecting to see Thor every other week in a show about the guys in the background would be akin to expecting to see Thor pop up every other issue in a book called X-Men. It just doesn't happen all that often.

And since when are comic readers incapable of accepting that story telling takes time?

My $ is on Skye being Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman, not Jewel); she just doesn't know her real name yet.

I don't agree. Half the time in comics, the new characters are the only *interesting* ones because there is so much to explore about them. With the long-standing characters, there's only so much you can do before you're trampling their back-story & contradicting decades of past tales.

In Agents of SHIELD, I'd definitely like to know more about Grant Ward, Melinda May, and even Skye (though I agree, she has to stop making that snarled/annoyed expression all the time). I'm looking forward to Deathlok, Sif, Lorelei, and hopefully more Victoria Hand & Maria Hill. And I've also got a theory that Winter Soldier could be added to the series, long-term. After all, Sebastian Stan was previously a recurring Mad Hatter on "Once Upon A Time".

I think a significant number of fans were expecting this show to, essentially, be the Secret Avengers, not a normal spy show with a bit of super powered weirdness tossed in.

The characters that have been introduced have not gained any real traction because at the end of the day they are no who the hardcore fans want to see. Additionally, the lack of "real" allies and enemies from the comics, as well as the dearth of other callbacks to the comics annoys those same fans. At the same time, the casual fans have to be disappointed at least to some degree because there aren't that many super powered beings are showing up, even as enemies.

I'm a comic book fan and I don't care that the characters are new. And I'm not bothered that it's not filled with superheroes, either. I get the rationale.

For me the issue is, it's supposed to be about spies and yet it never feels the slightest bit edgy or dangerous. Spies are dark, seriously damaged folks; instead, at our center we have the journey of adorable puppy dog newbie Skye. Tonally, it makes no sense.

Much as I sometimes like FitzSimmons, the same is true for them. They're too bright and shiny -- although, if there was no Skye, they'd probably work fine. They're the real newbies here, and without the field experience yet to damage them. Her presence is making them a repeat beat.

I love Clark Gregg, and I like his performance, but even Coulson is becoming more and more absurd as a character. Loving Father Figure just makes no sense in this world. But again, if there was no Skye, we wouldn't have this problem.

Could it be that killing Skye could give the show the energy it needs?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytalks View Post
    At one point, Agent Coulson was a new guy. So that's not true.
    Agreed. For example, I know it's been close to a decade now, but X-23 still seems awfully new to me. A decade later, and I'm still astounded by how the character just seemed to become popular close to overnight, especially since she started off as a cartoon character who was then adapted into the comics. It's like every writer at Marvel right now wrote her at one point or another, regardless of book.
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

Quote Originally Posted by agitated_android View Post
    Something about the criticism I don't understand is this, it's called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's not called "Avengers the TV show". Expecting to see Thor every other week in a show about the guys in the background would be akin to expecting to see Thor pop up every other issue in a book called X-Men. It just doesn't happen all that often.

And since when are comic readers incapable of accepting that story telling takes time?
    Exactly! I have seen so much Flack about the show, even now, that it's really getting out of hand. Comic Fans are practically sabotaging this show, with nothing to back up their grief. I loved the quote near the end of the article, which is something I've been telling people for months, is that SHIELD does not have the Budget of The Avengers nor the time frame. It's a TV Show. They need to work on a tight timeline to get the episodes done, with limited resources. It isn't going to be a Movie every week!

Also, constantly comparing the show to Smallville & Arrow when those shows are not the same genre as SHIELD, nor the same storytelling approach. They probably also have a bit more freedom, since they aren't connected to DC films, but fans of those shows absolutely can't tell me that they loved all of the DC characters being tossed onto the small screen. All I ever heard were complaints about how the characters were watered-down, de-costumed, and slapped together for a bland appearance. Can you imagine if Batman and Wonder Woman had appeared on Smallville? As much as people wanted it to happen, it wouldn't have looked good. Meanwhile, SHIELD can bring in Lady Sif a few episodes from now, and she'll actually bring her movie appearance to the show.

Lastly, the majority of people I see who are continuing to complain will admit that they've only seen the pilot or only the first 3 episodes. So they know absolutely nothing about the show beyond it's initial set-up, and just keep talking about how the ratings dropped from episode 1 to episode 2, and think they have a leg to stand on. It's ridiculous. But that's the internet for you.

I didn't want or expect to see Thor or Hulk on the show. I wanted lesser Marvel superbeings with TV budget powers who would might not be able to hold a movie either on their own or collectively. A superhuman-of-the-week who is brought in with abilities specifically needed for the mission at hand, even. Instead, I got these entirely new and mostly bland characters caught up in bland scenarios... and the one person who's getting superpowers [not counting Tahiti Man Coulson] happens to not even be on the main cast. Unless there're plans to explore the concepts and repercussions associated with superhumanity by having the main cast get bitten by cosmic radioactive spiders that fell from the back of speeding trucks outside a monastery in Tibet, make Marvel's Agents of SHIELD not mine.
    Why? Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Agreed. For example, I know it's been close to a decade now, but X-23 still seems awfully new to me. A decade later, and I'm still astounded by how the character just seemed to become popular close to overnight, especially since she started off as a cartoon character who was then adapted into the comics. It's like every writer at Marvel right now wrote her at one point or another, regardless of book.
    X-23 is a great example. Another "new character" not only welcomed to the fold in the core Avengers titles, but also existing as a Retcon Character (something tricky & often too controversial for it's own good) and Pulling It Off is JESSICA JONES! Not only is she a fan-favorite character and now integral to the lives of many mainstream Marvel characters, but she's also set to headline her own Series on Netflix next year! "New" character & Leading Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I'm a comic book fan and I don't care that the characters are new. And I'm not bothered that it's not filled with superheroes, either. I get the rationale.

For me the issue is, it's supposed to be about spies and yet it never feels the slightest bit edgy or dangerous. Spies are dark, seriously damaged folks; instead, at our center we have the journey of adorable puppy dog newbie Skye. Tonally, it makes no sense.

Much as I sometimes like FitzSimmons, the same is true for them. They're too bright and shiny -- although, if there was no Skye, they'd probably work fine. They're the real newbies here, and without the field experience yet to damage them. Her presence is making them a repeat beat.

I love Clark Gregg, and I like his performance, but even Coulson is becoming more and more absurd as a character. Loving Father Figure just makes no sense in this world. But again, if there was no Skye, we wouldn't have this problem.

Could it be that killing Skye could give the show the energy it needs?
    EXACTLY - you hit the nail on the head. Is this a comedy show? No. Is it an actually dangerous, "real" show? No. Does it want to be both and more? Yes. Well, dammit, give it some "weight" then because it's all light vanilla and no dark chocolate. Until they do, they can have cameos galore, and it will still suck badly.

The more I hear from the creators of the show, the more worried I am about it's direction. They seem to constantly be on the defensive, complaining that the negative reactions are all down to unrealistic expectations and impatience. Basically saying there's nothing wrong with the show, but rather the "fans".

I don't agree comic fans are against new characters- who doesn't love Coulson in the movies. I do however agree with those who have called characters like Ward "dull". I've not found him engaging in any way. The show took the risk on new characters- fine I'm in. But they need to be great. And that can be achieved very quickly. I instantly loved Akela- she's been boxed but will likely be back.

I certainly don't agree that fans can't be patient for a big pay off. What's missing here is that we've seen nothing to build the trust that it'll be worth it. I need to be wowed and then I'll stick around to see what else you can do. Breaking Bad is one of the most acclaimed shows of the century both with critics and fans but the plot wasn't rapid, but every episode had tension and advancement.

I don't think anyones hunger for seeing MU characters will be satiated with Lorelei.