Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Black Science, #3

Shell-shocked and battered, Grant McKay and his team are stranded on the front lines of the European savages' final standoff against the Sons of the Wakan Tech-Tanka. Will this inverse manifest destiny claim the life of a member of the Anarchist League of Scientists? Or will they be betrayed by one of their own?

Full article here.

BANNED

Black Science had been really disappointing so far. I think it needs more actual science fiction. The series seems to tread the same ground of "Fear Agent", which I found boring.

Quote Originally Posted by il Mysterio View Post
    Black Science had been really disappointing so far. I think it needs more actual science fiction. The series seems to tread the same ground of "Fear Agent", which I found boring.
    Pretty sure you're in the huge minority with that opinion.

This book is batsh- insane fun and I'm really enjoying it. Felt the same way about Fear Agent.

Not really sure what you consider "actual" science fiction. If you mean it needs hard science, well.....hard SF isn't exactly the only type of SF, nor has it ever been.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Not sure how you would define sci-fi then... fiction by default has information and events that aren't real, so if you're expecting realistic physics and/or well... idk... science, it probably won't happen. This book has definitely been science fiction in the most base definition of the term.

Anyway, I'm loving this book, but how is Scalera doing this and Dead Body Road? He's amazing!

As a big Remender fan, I've found this to be pretty bland. It feels like a parody of Rick Remender comics

Deadly Class is good, tho

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    As a big Remender fan, I've found this to be pretty bland. It feels like a parody of Rick Remender comics

Deadly Class is good, tho
    I realize Deadly Class only has one issue so far, but while I liked Black Science, I think Deadly Class is the better book.

Which is weird given that I totally expected it to be the other way around.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Already pre-ordered this and preview ordered the next one a month back.

I wouldn't mind a little bit more Science Fiction as suggested though.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

lol, god no. No actual science fiction.

It's actually been getting better, esp. from this preview.

Don't really know how anyone could find Fear Agent boring. Its almost wall to wall action. Anyway I'm enjoying Black Science quite a lot. I'd kinda like the story to lean more towards the pulp adventure of bouncing around to different dimensions and so forth rather than spending too much time on the internal politics of the group though.

I am reading and enjoying Black Science so far. However, it seems almost impossible to judge a book without giving it a full arc. I will keep reading until Remender's first arc is through and then re-assess. I anticipate that I will love it because I love Remender. I never read Fear Agent (I'm new to the whole indie comic scene). Do I need to go back and check it out? Are there hardcover collections?

I'm not feeling "Black Science" at all, and I should be because it's right up my alley -- one part Manhattan Projects, one part Invisibles is how it came off in interviews, but it's really quite bland sitting there on the page.

Deadly Class is the best thing Remender has done, one issue in, and the only thing that hasn't felt crass and shocky out of him in years. That's a level up, and I think that is where my Remender dollars will go (get it??).
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    I'm not feeling "Black Science" at all, and I should be because it's right up my alley -- one part Manhattan Projects, one part Invisibles is how it came off in interviews, but it's really quite bland sitting there on the page.

Deadly Class is the best thing Remender has done, one issue in, and the only thing that hasn't felt crass and shocky out of him in years. That's a level up, and I think that is where my Remender dollars will go (get it??).
    I agree word-for-word with this.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    However it came off in the interviews, it doesn't seem like that's what Remender is actually going for with Black Science. It's yet another knowingly trashy pulp book. I'm new to Remender, so I can't get enough of it at the moment.

Personally I quite enjoyed the first two issues and can safely say that Im on board with this book.

As others have pointed out it is in the same vein as Fear Agent, and thats a great thing in my book; while I have to admit Black Science is not in the same league as the best books published by Image, this type of book really floats my boat in terms of a big scifi adventure.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

I am digging the first two issues so far! Haven't picked up my pulls for this week yet so I haven't read number 3 yet. But I am liking it a lot.