Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default By Crom! The 10 Greatest Fantasy Comics of All-Time

With "The Hobbit" ruling theaters across the globe and fans buzzing about "Game of Thrones," CBR looks at the greatest fantasy comic books.

Full article here.

Great list all the way up until Sandman. I can relent on Fables but Sandman is drawing more on the true definition of fantasy rather than the literary definition of fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    Great list all the way up until Sandman. I can relent on Fables but Sandman is drawing more on the true definition of fantasy rather than the literary definition of fantasy.
    I agree, when the OP starts with talking about LOTR, Sandman isn't a good fit, as great a book as it might be. I would leave Conan as #1 and put in another S&S in the mix. Groo perhaps.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I would add this one:

My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

No Slaine?

AD&D and Demon Knights would have been nowhere near my list. Castle Waiting, Gil Kane's Blackmark, Arak, Son of Thunder, Weird World, the Thieves World graphic novels by Tim Sale, Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld, P. Craig Russell's adaptation of the Nibelung (or even the Roy Thomas/Gil Kane adaptation), Chaykin and Mignola's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser adaptations, the Elric books from Pacific, First, DC and BOOM!, Busiek and Wenzel's A Wizard's Tale, Wenzel and Dixon's Hobbit adaptation, and a host of others would all be on my list before those two would even get consideration, and that's just scratching the surface of what's out there.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

I knew there were going to be problems here as soon I saw that friggin New 52! series as #10. It was okay, but c'mon. It's like putting Captain Britain & The MI 13 as the 10th best superhero series. Just because a series was kinda good and cancelled after a year and a half doesn't mean it's GREAT. But apparently a dozen ramshackle issues from the overrated Paul Cornell are better than the entirety of Groo and Bone. sigh

And Telos was okay, but to put it so high? Only one place behind Fables? A handful of issues by Mike Wieringo and Todd Dzago only one place behind the most honored series in fantasy comic history. Ooookay...

And Sandman? Yeesh. I'm a huge fan and it's possibly my favorite comic series, period. But it doesn't fit in with the rest of this list at all.

Other than that, great list! (And isn't arguing part of the fun with these things?)

Bone? Groo? Cerebus? Props for recognizing the massively underrated Tellos and DC's TSR comics.

This is the dumbest damn thing I have ever read.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

They left out Sojourn, Meridian, and Scion. Cross Gen did some great fantasy books. It's a pity we'll never see them concluded or revived.

That's a pretty weak list, all in all. Really reads like it was compiled by someone who only knows Big Two comics. For example, Slaine: The Horned God is pretty much the apex of sword and sorcery comics, but Slaine isn't on the list while Demon Knights is? No Conquering Armies, Cerebus, P. Craig Russell's Elric adaptations, etc? Just way off target for the genre.

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

Actually, SANDMAN is largely drawing on literary fantasy, but it's pre-Tolkien/pre-Howard fantasy. Lord Dunsany, Hope Mirrlees, William Hope Hodgson, writers like that.

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    That's a pretty weak list, all in all. Really reads like it was compiled by someone who only knows Big Two comics. For example, Slaine: The Horned God is pretty much the apex of sword and sorcery comics, but Slaine isn't on the list while Demon Knights is? No Conquering Armies, Cerebus, P. Craig Russell's Elric adaptations, etc? Just way off target for the genre.
    i've been looking to get into slaine. would you recommend the horned god to a newcomer or would a different story be better?
    SPACE FOR RENT!

Quote Originally Posted by weeks View Post
    i've been looking to get into slaine. would you recommend the horned god to a newcomer or would a different story be better?
    The Horned God is a great entry point. That's where I got started. You don't really need to know anything that's not explained in the story, and it doesn't ruin or spoil anything that has come before.

It's a good time to start reading Slaine. Rebellion has reprinted almost the entire series over the past few years. There's still a few pre-Books of Invasion stories to be reprinted, but other than that, you're going to get all the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    The Horned God is a great entry point. That's where I got started. You don't really need to know anything that's not explained in the story, and it doesn't ruin or spoil anything that has come before.

It's a good time to start reading Slaine. Rebellion has reprinted almost the entire series over the past few years. There's still a few pre-Books of Invasion stories to be reprinted, but other than that, you're going to get all the good stuff.
    great, thanks for the info!
    SPACE FOR RENT!