Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: East of West, #9

"HUNTER"
    The Ranger and Death finally clash in the inevitable meeting of LAW and INEVITABILITY.

Full article here.

Man, I'm so pumped for next week. Saga and now this. Can't wait to see the Ranger and Death meet, also can't wait to see the mythos of the kingdom explored in this or maybe the upcoming issues as this preview would suggest.

I am honestly so lost on this series, and every week I read the comic and realize I have no idea what's going on. And yet I keep buying it, because everyone else tells me it's the best thing since Saga.

Maybe it'll be better if I go back and reread it. What do you guys think? I really want to like this comic.

Quote Originally Posted by hsieh View Post
    I am honestly so lost on this series, and every week I read the comic and realize I have no idea what's going on. And yet I keep buying it, because everyone else tells me it's the best thing since Saga.

Maybe it'll be better if I go back and reread it. What do you guys think? I really want to like this comic.
    It's not just you. I find Hickman's work very much focussed on the long story. Sometimes you will read something in one issue and then not understand what it means until 5 or more issues later. I find that with his Avengers run as well. His stories read much better in trades. Just me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCons View Post
    It's not just you. I find Hickman's work very much focussed on the long story. Sometimes you will read something in one issue and then not understand what it means until 5 or more issues later. I find that with his Avengers run as well. His stories read much better in trades. Just me anyway.
    For that reason, I honestly think this series is better read in trade if anyone is feeling that way. I read 1-5 all in one night, thought it was great, then I started following monthly from there on out, and it's been a bit difficult.

That said, this second arc seems to be more about world building, while Death's story moves along slowly.

This seems more serious than Saga. People die alot more in this comic. It probably matches the writers' personalities.
    Pull List: Saga, East of West, Aphrodite

East of West is one of my favorite books nowadays, I thoroughly enjoy it every issue; the depht and heaviness of the story and characters is very much to my liking.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

FWIW, I read it in trade and absolutely love it. at least Vol. 1 so far....
    I'm excited for Vol 2. to be released and think reading Hickmans work in trade, no matter what the book, is a better pay off.

Can I ask what specifically you're having trouble following? I've personally found this to be Hickman's most straightforward work (that I've read). I'm sure everyone here would be more than happy to help you out.

Yeah. It's pretty straight forward. Hickman is on record saying he writes to two experiences, so that fans get the bang for their buck. Which I like and appreciate.

Today's issue was freaking awesome. Prince John Freeman is a compete and total bad ass. He's boss. Think Clerics from Equilibrium.
    SO LET THIS BE A LESSON. LEARN. YOUR. PLACE. - Prince Freeman

Another great issue.

Has anyone else been noticing that the covers and solicits seem to not be syncing up with the story at all? I'm hoping this is because Jonathan has decided to make the story longer then intended and this is simply Hickman taking more time to add depth to the universe.

Yes they have been off but I dont give a damn about solicits beyond knowing the issue is coming that month.

Great Issue.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

I feel the same way, I want to like this series so bad. A sci fi western is right up my alley, my two favourite genres. However I'm having a real hard time getting into it. I've read the first 4 issues and it's been a real chore to read. I hate to give it up but it just doesn't grab me like Saga has.

I really enjoyed this issue.. The back story for "The Kingdom" has potential.

Go back and reread it, this is just the introduction part of the novel as at this point the comic is really still introducing the cast. I would imagine there is still a couple more issues of this to go as we haven't really seen a couple of the other nations. We have seen Texas, the Confederacy, the Union, the Freeman and China so far in the comic. Once that is done, I would imagine you will start seeing more of these moving parts start to interact. This is being setup for a long run story, I'd say at this point the series probably could end up at least as long as his F4 story.

To me, I think the fact the comic leads to go back and read it again is a pretty good sign with a comic book. I've read the first six of East of West at least three times myself. I really need to go back and read 7-9 again and probably will when 10 comes out.
    Last edited by earl; 02-01-2014 at 09:03 AM.