Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

In fairness, my list isn't finalized and there are two strong Morrison contenders which may yet bump there way in.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Very much in flux still, but creator breakdown so far...

Gaiman-11 (mostly Sandman but not all)
    Morrison-8 (mostly Invisibles)
    Busiek 5
    Kirby, Roy Thomas & Miller 4 each
    Moore, P.Craig Russell, Waid, Englehart, Mignola, Perez, Gil Kane, and Starlin 3 each
    (several with at least 2 as well, such as John Ostrander, etc. that could go up if I make changes)

publisher/imprint breakdown
    Marvel 24
    DC 24
    Vertigo 19
    Epic 2
    Other publishers 31

(the line between DC and Vertigo is blurry as some were published by DC before Vertigo was created and later added to Vertigo imprint when collected in trade, and such, and I am not sure I was consistent in counting them as one or the other).

As I said the list is in flux and may change as I evaluate whether some of the choices fit my definition of saga, or whether at the end of the dy I like some of the stuff on the list better than stuff I left off or as I think of things I missed.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 01-31-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

I'm a little surprised about the numbers I'm seeing--some of them seem downright weird to me. Not in any bad way, though. I'm mostly excited to see the classifications people are making. Given that, I thought I'd throw my own numbers up, and maybe people can shake their heads at them. So out of my 67 picks so far...

5 Wildstorm
    11 Vertigo
    11 Marvel
    15 DC
    everyone else is at 3 or less

4: Jack Kirby, Warren Ellis
    3: Ed Brubaker, Peter Milligan, Grant Morrison, John Ostrander
    2: Joe Casey, Mike Carey, Howard Chaykin, Chris Claremont, Steve Gerber, Abnett & Lanning, Alan Moore, Walt Simonson
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

My company breakdown for the full 100 is heavily skewed towards Marvel for reasons I will get into more when it's time for the full list.

In short, though:

1) my love of Avengers throws the numbers waaaaaay out of balance
    2) I'm not as familiar with DC stuff in general post-Crisis as I am with Marvel
    3) DC pre-Crisis was much less into longer sagas than Marvel, so their company style precludes many of their best stories from being considered
    4) I'm not as familiar with "modern" indie stuff (meaning Image and the like from the 2000's) and Vertigo stuff that might make the list otherwise

Anyway, company breakdown as a result of those factors:

Marvel - 60
    DC/Vertigo - 20
    Indie - 14
    Archie - 6

We'll obviously be discussing this a lot more when the time comes, but I feel like when it comes to classic superhero comics anyway, Marvel did a lot more sagas and did them a lot better than DC.

However, just coming up with a full Top 100 also significantly skewed the list Marvel, since I simply know so many more Marvel storylines that qualify (and that I enjoyed). My Top 25 is much, much more balanced between companies:

Marvel - 11
    DC - 9
    Indie - 5

Another reason why I am happy shaxper is only scoring the top 20 from our lists.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Pretty much got it all settled except for what I want to do about Avengers.

That is, what I should do. I know what I want to do.
    formerly coke & comics

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
    Pretty much got it all settled except for what I want to do about Avengers.

That is, what I should do. I know what I want to do.
    Just do what you want to do.

I keep stumbling on the saga-bit for my list.

I made the call and broke Avengers into (slightly) smaller chunks, but now it takes up more spaces on my list, which bumped off some stories I like.

The last deletion which makes me really sad is Kurt Busiek's Thunderbolts. Maybe I'll find a way to get it back on. I do currently have one Morrison story on the list. Maybe that can go?
    formerly coke & comics

Publisher breakdowns for current draft:
    42% Marvel (including 3% Marvel imprints Epic/Icon)
    25% DC (including 4% comics eventually owned by DC)
    33% other publishers
    formerly coke & comics

Veteran Member

I made the call and broke Avengers into (slightly) smaller chunks, but now it takes up more spaces on my list, which bumped off some stories I like.

The last deletion which makes me really sad is Kurt Busiek's Thunderbolts. Maybe I'll find a way to get it back on. I do currently have one Morrison story on the list. Maybe that can go?
    If I were to be honest with my choices, I think I have to allow some overlap - for example, I would list the entirety of Steve Gerber's run on Man-Thing as a single long saga, and some of the individual stories already included in that run as shorter sagas.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    If I were to be honest with my choices, I think I have to allow some overlap - for example, I would list the entirety of Steve Gerber's run on Man-Thing as a single long saga, and some of the individual stories already included in that run as shorter sagas.
    I think that can be justified; I like it. However, it would not count as a double vote towards the final list.

So I have 88 entries on my list right now, and 13 titles that I highly suspect will make my list if I have time to read enough of them. Going to be a nail biter seeing how much I can possibly read this month!

I will tell you a dark secret and then you can yell at me.

My intention is to list a ranked 75 comics, then list 25 other comics which I had difficulty ranking for reasons I will go into when the time comes. So rather than giving you #1-100, I will give you #1-75, and 25 more.

That's the best I can do.
    formerly coke & comics

I will tell you a dark secret and then you can yell at me.
    I wonder what that would sound like on a discussion forum...

My intention is to list a ranked 75 comics, then list 25 other comics which I had difficulty ranking for reasons I will go into when the time comes. So rather than giving you #1-100, I will give you #1-75, and 25 more.

That's the best I can do.
    Makes sense. Since #21-100 are largely for discussion anyway and don't count unless needed for a tie-breaker, why not?

But the death of Thunderbird is a great moment! And 214 is an excellent and clever battle with Malice (featuring an all-female team of X-Men long before Wood did it). 215-216 has great character work with both Wolverine and Storm, battling Stonewall and Crimson Commando. What were you thinking? You're leaving out the best stories!
    What did Super Sabre do to you to not deserve a mention in that storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cross Is God View Post
    What did Super Sabre do to you to not deserve a mention in that storyline?
    Super Sabre is a poor man's Whizzer.
    formerly coke & comics