Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Deadly Class, #1

Marcus Lopez's life takes a drastic turn when he goes from orphaned street urchin to assassin-in-training in Rick Remender and Wes Craig's "Deadly Class" #1.

Full review here.

Loved the issue...now that I think about it, I saw several preview pages that weren't in the book. I guess those will be in issue 2?

SOOOO glad I picked this one up. This is gonna be epic ya'll
    Can't imagine the world without me

I just picked this up today. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but I am really looking forward to it. The extended preview of Marcus pan-handling in the streets and his flashback to his parents death were great. I found Marcus to be a really enjoyable and pretty fleshed out character based on that preview alone.

I read the first few pages. I'm not a fan of politics in comics. From either side of the aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack80 View Post
    I read the first few pages. I'm not a fan of politics in comics. From either side of the aisle.
    I'm pretty sure that page 3's single political reference was the only one in the entire book though. Maybe you'll be able to suffer through that panel, and enjoy the book regardless. :)

Deadly Class is fantastic. Not at all what I expected from either the previews nor the cover art. It's a very serious book, not campy, committed to showing the seediness of the 80s beneath the glam and sweatbands. The issue is a perfect #1: it sticks with a single character for most of the issue, giving plenty of time to flesh out motivation and background. Then it jumps into a phenomenal action sequence that runs for several pages. Every panel is laid out to perfectly capture the flow action and lead the reader's eye smoothly across the page. I particularly enjoyed the bit where Saya leaps off the motorcycle and does a flip. (The page is available from the preview here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/pr...pid=17164&pg=6) Her flip is shown in successive poses the cross over panel boundaries and in one of them it looks like she's grabbing her own hands to help her through the flip: a nice bit of theater to highlight the awesome absurdity of the action.

I sort of expected this book to sort of feel like a grittier version of Archie, but it's definitely got a more realistic, highly stylized thing going on. Can't wait for the next issue.

Picked up the first two issues of Remender's BLACK SCIENCE when they were released... but I find myself not enjoying it as much as I thought I would...I just cant connect to the charactesr and they are already getting lost in the shuffle for me due to the chaos of the interdimensional traveling and action with lingering backstory that still doesnt seem too telling, other than the fact that Grant cheats on his wife.. I know it's still early, but I think I will be replacing it with DEADLY CLASS instead.
    In reading the preview, I immediately connected with wanting to know more about Marcus' charatcer and see where he is headed... the seriousness of the book seems to be more of an appeal for me and I think this book in the long run will be more sucessful. I think I'm gonna go to my LCS and pick DEADLY CLASS #1 up and skip out on BLACK SCIENCE #3 this week. Hopefully they havent sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
    Picked up the first two issues of Remender's BLACK SCIENCE when they were released... but I find myself not enjoying it as much as I thought I would...I just cant connect to the charactesr and they are already getting lost in the shuffle for me due to the chaos of the interdimensional traveling and action with lingering backstory that still doesnt seem too telling, other than the fact that Grant cheats on his wife.. I know it's still early, but I think I will be replacing it with DEADLY CLASS instead.
    In reading the preview, I immediately connected with wanting to know more about Marcus' charatcer and see where he is headed... the seriousness of the book seems to be more of an appeal for me and I think this book in the long run will be more sucessful. I think I'm gonna go to my LCS and pick DEADLY CLASS #1 up and skip out on BLACK SCIENCE #3 this week. Hopefully they havent sold out.
    I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you, although I'm willing to pick up Black Science TP 1 when it releases. Deadly Class looks to be getting more praise and immediately sold out according to Image. I'm gonna swing by the LCS after work to see if I can find #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
    I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you, although I'm willing to pick up Black Science TP 1 when it releases. Deadly Class looks to be getting more praise and immediately sold out according to Image. I'm gonna swing by the LCS after work to see if I can find #1.
    YEP. went by my LCS yesterday.... no luck. Sold out and backordered. Other shop about 20mins away was out too. Checked on mycomicshop.com.... no go. I guess I will just buy it digitally off comixology app for $3 so I can read it and then start picking it up at #2. I'm assuming a second printing of #1 will be released at some point as well.