Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Spencer Explores the Characters & Crises of "Avengers World"

Nick Spencer defines the mission statement of "Avengers World," and his and co-writer Jonathan Hickman's plans for Marvel's global superteam.

Full article here.

Wow. A 20 page fight scene...from Spenser?

This I've gotta see.

I'll try the first trade. He makes a good case.

Glad to hear about the plans to focus on the international scene, something that's long overdue at Marvel.

Hopefully the stories will feature some of the international players already established within the Marvel Universe: Winter Guard of Russia, Big Hero 6 of Japan, the Kinsmen of Ireland, MI13 of the United Kingdom, the Triumph Division of the Philippines, S.H.E. and Euro Force of Europe, etc.

The Marvel Atlas should be a good resource . . .
    Last edited by Soundrave; 01-24-2014 at 11:36 AM.

This sounds really good, I'd be more inclined to buy it if there were any characters in it that I had the least bit of interest in... sorry, but Smasher, Starbrand, Shang Chi, and Manifold are not Avengers... they'll never be used again once Hickman is gone (well, maybe Shang Chi).

I know every writer does this (From Mantis and Swordsman under Englehart, to Captain Marvel under Stern, to Justice and Firestar under Busiek) but they generally still keep a couple of the regulars around.
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post
    This sounds really good, I'd be more inclined to buy it if there were any characters in it that I had the least bit of interest in... sorry, but Smasher, Starbrand, Shang Chi, and Manifold are not Avengers... they'll never be used again once Hickman is gone (well, maybe Shang Chi).

I know every writer does this (From Mantis and Swordsman under Englehart, to Captain Marvel under Stern, to Justice and Firestar under Busiek) but they generally still keep a couple of the regulars around.
    You mean like Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Carol Danvers?

Arn't Spider-Man, Spider-Woman and Wolverine considered regulars by now also?

And guess what, Spencer is keeping some regular's around as well. As for the "not being Avengers" thing, that's just short-sited. There was a time when Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Carol Danvers, etc "weren't Avengers." And then they got added to the team. Smasher, Starbrand, Shang Chi, etc are no different.

BANNED

Scientist Supreme = Mockingbird AkA Bobbi

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Scientist Supreme = Mockingbird AkA Bobbi
    That would be cool, although I think the Scientist Supreme was referred to as "My Lord" recently. Unless it's Bobbi in camotech posing as the old Scientist Supreme or as the guy she was posing as on AIM Island.
    Bobbi Morse: has been on three Avengers teams, worked for SHIELD, evaded the Skrulls for years, received the super soldier serum and Infinity Formula. Still not even a limited series.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher284 View Post
    And guess what, Spencer is keeping some regular's around as well. As for the "not being Avengers" thing, that's just short-sited. There was a time when Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Carol Danvers, etc "weren't Avengers." And then they got added to the team. Smasher, Starbrand, Shang Chi, etc are no different.
    It would help if Hickman/Spencer provided some sense of how these characters were integrated into the team. Instead they're just there. I know Spencer says Avengers World will be about characterization, so maybe these issues will be addressed in later issues. But given that the only real insight provided into Smasher is that she nearly fell into a well as a child, I'm not expecting much.

It's been two issues. How about we actually give the story time to develop before all the doom and gloom sets in. Oh wait I forgot, comic books fans, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher284 View Post
    That's true, but they were around in the Marvel Universe... Starbrand is a reject from a failed universe from 30 years ago, Smasher is extremely generic, Manifold has been nothing but a taxi, and Shang Chi is just a bad fit for Avengers... especially with the huge cosmic stuff they're doing now. I just don't find any of these characters in the least bit interesting. It is nice to have them doing some character stuff, though, I'm sure at some point they'll get to most interesting characters :D.

I'm not trying to be doomy or gloomy, I was just commenting :D... that is what interviews on message boards are for.

I'm sure the other characters are in the book, but it sounds like they'll mostly be wallpaper.
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)

You just change the argument. You specifically said that they "weren't really Avengers." I pointed out how what's happening here is no different than what the so-called "classic" Avengers went through. Now, you're saying that they're just not interesting to you. That's not the same thing that you were saying before. And how is Shang Chi a "bad fit" exactly? How is he any more of a "bad fit" than say Hawkeye for instance? Explain that to me.

That's true, but they were around in the Marvel Universe... Starbrand is a reject from a failed universe from 30 years ago, Smasher is extremely generic, Manifold has been nothing but a taxi, and Shang Chi is just a bad fit for Avengers... especially with the huge cosmic stuff they're doing now. I just don't find any of these characters in the least bit interesting. It is nice to have them doing some character stuff, though, I'm sure at some point they'll get to most interesting characters :D.

I'm not trying to be doomy or gloomy, I was just commenting :D... that is what interviews on message boards are for.

I'm sure the other characters are in the book, but it sounds like they'll mostly be wallpaper.
    Shang-Chi karate chopped an alien robot's head off.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

i'm fine with pretty much everyone but Starbrand. i just really don't like his look or personality. that he's all-powerful just makes it worse. he's like Michael Pointer 2.0.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time