Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Hawkeye, #16

"Hawkeye" #16 has Kate Bishop pick up a new case involving a stolen, never-completed song, but Matt Fraction and Annie Wu's story doesn't take the normal path.

Full review here.

Great issue.

Maybe its time to get Francaville to alternate issues with Aja.

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

I felt Kate's characterization was a little all over the place. There were a few pop culture references that felt like Matt Fraction the cinephile speaking, rather than the character. A good issue overall, though.

I could do with a little less Kate getting her a$$ kicked by nobodies...

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZilla View Post
    I could do with a little less Kate getting her a$$ kicked by nobodies...
    Kate's a scruffy P.I. in Los Angeles. It is practically part of the job description.

Not to mention she is 18 years old, female and mostly fighting dudes that are bouncers/bodyguard/general profession legbreakers.

She might seriously want to reconsider the bow and arrow thing and get a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Kate's a scruffy P.I. in Los Angeles. It is practically part of the job description.

Not to mention she is 18 years old, female and mostly fighting dudes that are bouncers/bodyguard/general profession legbreakers.

She might seriously want to reconsider the bow and arrow thing and get a gun.
    She is 21 and is portrayed much more efficiently on both the previous issues of Hawkeye (in #2 she is putting arrows through peoples eyes by firing three/four arrows at once) and Young Avengers. Her combat skills in #14/#16 are quite frankly out of character bad and is one of the few things bothering me with her issues.
    Last edited by Stelson; 01-24-2014 at 07:36 AM.

I want to like Kate-centered issues but they just don't like me.

She's much better with Clint

Holy crap, this issue! Easily my favorite Kate issue so far. And that last page gave me chills!

Quote Originally Posted by Stelson View Post
    She is 21 and is portrayed much more efficiently on both the previous issues of Hawkeye (in #2 she is putting arrows through peoples eyes by firing three/four arrows at once) and Young Avengers. Her combat skills in #14/#16 are quite frankly out of character bad and is one of the few things bothering me with her issues.
    I couldn't agree more; it is ridiculous how she is getting the piss kicked out of her by dime-a-dozen hoods. Actually, so is Clint in his issues and it is something that just shouldn't happen. Should Cliint/Kate be able to go toe-to-toe with Electro or Kingpin? Of course not. But they should be able to take down a few common hoods without suffering these regular poundings. OH, and they could both actually use their arrows once in a while; they don't need to impale the hoods but pinning them to a wall or frightening them by picking a gun out of their hand with a perfect shot would work well.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

I haven't had a chance to read the latest issue, but at least the last time Clint mixed it up with the Tracksuit Draculas, there were at least a few dozen he had to contend with. I'm not shocked that he lost that one considering those numbers. If he were Cap, Bats, or even DD, it would've been a bad showing, but as good as Clint is, he's just not at that level.

Enjoyable issue but I can't help but think that Annie Wu's art almost complements Matt Fraction too well, stylistically.

I know that sounds weird, but she's draws quirky people doing quirky expressions and he writes quirky dialogue and you kind of end up with something of a quirk overload. You can't blame her for not being a genius like Aja, but where Aja hits the nail on the head is that he does subtle. Where Wu would draw someone with a wide-eyed gaze, mouth askew and arms waving, Aja would just do a raised eyebrow. I think Fraction needs that to bring some reality to his quip-tastic writing.

As others have mentioned, Kate seems a bit out of character too. From the more-competent-Hawkeye of the first set of issues to an out-of-her-depth teenager in the recent ones. However, it works in the context of the story, even if it does jar a bit with the earlier characterisation.

On the plus side, these Kate-in-LA stories seem pretty light, funny, engaging and witty. Annie Wu is the best of the stand-in artists so far (I like Francavilla, but I don't have the massive man-crush on him that a lot of people do and I think his style would better suit a '70s style horror comic than the superhero material he draws a lot of these days) and her style suits the tone of the stories that Fraction has written here.

Definite B- issue, but the series needs Clint and Aja back. Bro.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

An immensely enjoyable issue; not "as good" as the Madam Masque annual, but better than (the still very good) last Kate issue about flowers. VERY happy the gay couple stuck around, and the story was so gentle and sweet. Annie Wu's art mirror's Kate's style perfectly. A few bits of the dialogue was a little too "make reference to something and insert-esq" at the end to make it relevant... but besides that = great issue!
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Stelson View Post
    In the book, she called herself a teenager, though?

I'm pretty sure she's been established as being 17 before...