Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Keaton Recalls How Claustrophobia, Tight Rubber Suit Defined His Batman

While promoting "Robocop," Michael Keaton recalled how the impossibly tight rubber costume helped him get to the core of his Batman.

Full article here.

Michael Keaton talking about Batman is like Bill Murray bartending stories. You never know when they're going to happen but they won't last long.

Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar

It's always interesting to me hearing about the behind the scenes process of the first Batman film from 1989. Growing up, that was my favorite Batman movie. In these times of course Nolan and his Batman films changed the game of not only comic book movies, but the way Hollywood has done many films in general since.

Sometimes I think because of that, people tend to bash the previous Batman films as all being horrible. I remember the early 90's and no one I knew, whether you liked comics or not, thought that Batman (1989) sucked. It was exciting times to be a Batman fun, just like today. I'd love for Warner Bros. to release more of information like this on an anniversary DVD or something like that.
    “I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all.“ -Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post
    I remember the early 90's and no one I knew, whether you liked comics or not, thought that Batman (1989) sucked.
    Because you were 6 years old.

All Batman movies have sucked.

Batman 1989 was a great film. Its sequel was even better. Then everything went down hill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio4521 View Post
    Because you were 6 years old.

All Batman movies have sucked.
    That's crazy. Batman, and especially Batman Returns, were totally awesome. They were just completely different from the Nolan movies. Also, considering how much Dark Knight Rises missed its mark, Burton and Nolan have the same track record on Batman, as far as I'm concerned. They've both made two really good ones. Joel Schumacher, on the other hand, blew it harder than anyone could have imagined... So by my count, four Batman movies were awesome, and three sucked... way short of 'all batman movies'.

Batman '89 certainly had its flaws (a Batsuit that didn't allow Batman to turn his head is one), but I still think of it as the best live-action version of the character thus far. Anton Furst's design of Gotham City and Danny Elfman's musical score probably cinched it.
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    Batman 1989 was a great film. Its sequel was even better. Then everything went down hill from there.
    Oh ye gods, no. Returns was terrible.

But seriously, just ignore that it's a Batman movie, the Burton Batman films are muddled, confusing narrative messes. The first Batman movie was really more about Nicholson trying to rape Vicki Vale than about Batman at all. And returns is so muddled, I can't even begin to tell you where the plot begins and ends.

That said, incredible score and set design. But the best Batman movie is, was, and probably forever will be Mask of the Phantasm.
    The Punisher: I’m going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pants™ Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and you’ll die screaming! And I’ll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

The thing the Schumacher and Nolan movies lacked was the idea that Batman could frighten not only criminals, but cops and civilians who didn't know what he was all about. Without being 6ft 5", Keaton's Batman projected an aura of "menace" and that is what Keaton was referring to. Those sweeping movements and "statue-like" poses, along with that semi-psychotic whisper, made his "Dark Avenger" seem otherworldly, which is what Bruce Wayne was trying to achieve when he decided to give his crime-fighting identity a bat-motif! Neither of the Burton films were perfect, but they were more true to the Batman concept than any of the relatively more "realistic" Nolan films. I still say Keaton nailed it!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

some guy in 1988: "Michael Keaton as Batman? What is that!?? Mr. Mom playing Batman. That makes perfect sense. This will be a disaster. We want Batman, not the guy from Mr. Mom."

the same guy in 1989: "Wow, this is great! Michael Keaton is terrific. I hate those people who said Michael Keaton wouldn't make a great Batman."

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Oh ye gods, no. Returns was terrible.

But seriously, just ignore that it's a Batman movie, the Burton Batman films are muddled, confusing narrative messes. The first Batman movie was really more about Nicholson trying to rape Vicki Vale than about Batman at all. And returns is so muddled, I can't even begin to tell you where the plot begins and ends.

That said, incredible score and set design. But the best Batman movie is, was, and probably forever will be Mask of the Phantasm.
    A lot of people read the Killing Joke to be about the Joker raping Barbara, so the idea of the Joker doing that kind of stuff isn't unprecedented.

What's so confusing about Returns? Penguin blackmails a rich - but corrupt - industrialist named Shreck and thus becomes one of Gotham's finest rich people. Penguin runs for election. Catwoman and Penguin decide to rid the city of Batman. Their attempts prove fruitless and, ultimately, ruin Penguin's election chances. Penguin gets angry and kidnaps kids but, thankfully, falls into his own toxic waste trap. Shreck tries to kill Batman and Catwoman but, after shooting the latter a few times, is taken down by a taser. Penguin re-appears but dies before he can kill Batman. Catwoman is assumed dead (but maybe not...?).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex6166 View Post
    some guy in 1988: "Michael Keaton as Batman? What is that!?? Mr. Mom playing Batman. That makes perfect sense. This will be a disaster. We want Batman, not the guy from Mr. Mom."

the same guy in 1989: "Wow, this is great! Michael Keaton is terrific. I hate those people who said Michael Keaton wouldn't make a great Batman."
    This is really a testament to how people grossly underestimated Keaton. He's a spectacular actor who's sadly gotten marginalized in recent years. Few people can pour on the crazy like Keaton. That's why I think that he worked out so well in the role. As Batman, there was something sadistic, yet sly and smart about him. As Bruce, you could always tell that, even in his most relaxed moments, he was a fairly unhinged man.

I know that there are a lot of Nolan loyalists and, to them, I'm on sacred territory here. However, for my money, Keaton's version of Batman was the best. No disrespect to Bale, but his Batman was much more of a thug and the voice of a grizzly. Bale's Wayne was okay, but skewed more "trust fund baby" than "eccentric billionaire". Nolan's Batman was driven, but not really the detective that Burton's was. That always bothered me. I can go into how I feel that neither version of the Joker was 100% spot on, but I think I'll leave it there and hide from the angry mob.

As far as Robocop goes.... I still fail to see the need for a remake, especially one with so many overt problems. I'm sure that it may appeal to a generation that's never seen the original, but for those of us who have....

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    What's so confusing about Returns?
    You're absolutely right. Batman Returns is really about their various identity crises and trying out to figure out who they are. In a way, Penguin is Batman without Alfred. Both were essentially orphaned, but only Bruce had the benefit of fatherly guidance. Oswald literally grew up in a world of sh**. Everything that Penguin does is to either be accepted among the elite or get revenge on them for abandoning him like his parents did. Selina represents the other part of Batman that's fundamentally broken. She struggles with who she is at any given moment. Is she the timid Selina or is she the empowered, yet somewhat brutal Catwoman? Is there a difference? In a sense, that's the sort of battle Bruce faces. Where does Batman begin and Bruce end? The Burton films aren't nearly as goofy as some might remember. That stuff masks some fairly smart writing that embraces the comic stuff, but doesn't go into Adam West territory.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

"Returns" is probably one of the most thematically rich Batflicks right along with "The Dark Knight" which is why they're 2 of my favourite. Even though the characters of Catwoman and Penguin barely represent their OG comic creations, they do serve a great point in the plot which is Batman without guidance as darker, twisted versions of who he is (like all good Bat villains can do.) And the performance of Phiefer and DeVito are just very raw and exposed and really harrowing.

All that being said, I generally like Batman '89 if not over the moon than anything. It's more attitude than anything it gets by on, which is perfectly okay (Nicolson playing the complete psycho version of the Joker helps a lot). Returns, though, is a super-layered flick. Looks amazing, too.

I don't like Returns as much as '89, but I enjoyed it. I felt like Burton went a little too far over the top and there was very little narrative. I do, as you might imagine, find an army of penguins with rockets on their backs amusing, though.

The weirdest thing about Returns, though, is that Batman's name is never cleared. As far as anybody knows, he pushed that woman off the building to her death. When he gets Penguin to confess on that disc, it's only that he really hates the people of Gotham, not that he killed the Ice Princess. Penguin never admits to that. Since Penguin dies, the only person at the end of the movie who could clear Batman is Catwoman, but she's off doing whatever and I get no impression that she does anything to clear Batman's name.

At the end of the movie, Batman is still wanted for a murder. And then at the beginning of the next, the police are fine with him again.
    Last edited by penguintruth; 01-23-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution