Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: George Romero's Empire of the Dead: Act One, #1

George Romero brings his next zombie effort not to the big screen, but to the comic medium in "Empire of the Dead: Act One" #1, with a couple of cool surprises, allowing artist Alex Maleev to prove that he was born to draw an urban zombie apocalypse.

Full review here.

This was way better than I expected. I grabbed it mostly based on the strength of Alex Maleev, but Romero proved himself in this book too.

His movies aren't so hot anymore, but he's still got some great ideas in his head.

I also really liked this issue!

I'm ashamed to admit I've not actually seen any of his classic films (shame on me!), but even I picked up that Night of the Dead reference in this issue. It just proves how iconic Romero's take on the zombie genre is.

Maleev is of course spot on as ever. Bring on #2!
    Current Favourites: Animal Man, Batman, Empire of the Dead. Federal Bureau of Physics, Green Arrow, Rogues Rebellion, Swamp Thing, The Wake

Not to nitpick, but Romero has stated in a CBR interview that the series is NOT a continuation of his film canon.

Which allows me to forgive the Vampire stuff, for now at least.

So yeah, don't know why he so clearly referenced NOTLD and then went on to say its not a continuation.

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Completely forgot this book was happening, but I'm really impressed with this issue. Great to see Marvel do a genre book, even if it takes a celebrity writer.

Quote Originally Posted by TonySnark View Post
    So yeah, don't know why he so clearly referenced NOTLD and then went on to say its not a continuation.
    His wording offers a clue: "It's not a continuation of my mythology, it's not. It takes a turn left." The inclusion of vampires (and not the hypochondriac variety seen in Romero's Martin) changes the rules. So it seems like he intends this series as a parallel track rather than a direct sequel to his films. Besides, how can it belong to the same mythology when this story takes place in New York instead of the general Pittsburgh area. That changes everything.

And I hope that Romero's return to comics (after that mini-series from around ten years ago) does not signal his retirement as a film director. The disappointing returns on Survival of the Dead must have made it trickier to fund other projects, but I'm crossing my fingers for another film, whether or not the title has "dead" in it.
    Last edited by Cryptid; 01-26-2014 at 01:26 AM.