Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Animated "JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time" Gets "Stealth Release"

With little in the way of advance hype, a new DC Comics-based direct-to-video animated feature arrived at Target stores this week.

Full article here.

JLA Adventures: Trapped in a Closet
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Now THAT´s something to think about: A kiddy friendly Justice League but with the direction of Giancarlo Volpe, the man responsible for another great DC show that got canceled.

Considering how great DC's animated features have been, I think they can get away with something like this. They've done much more than Marvel to establish the quality of their animated movies. So even if this is sub-par, DC can afford to do it. I still don't like how they've handled their cartoons, especially Green Lantern and Beware the Batman. But I think DC has done a great job with their animated features and anything they can do to add to it will only help.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

i felt the previous toyline the DC universe classics should have received a comic tie-in to get it more attention.

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

This sounds more appealing to me than War. Looking forward to some reviews.
    Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me are people that think Final Crisis is good.

Elder Member

Since when does light hearted and fun equal childish?

I just don't like that this is a Target exclusive. Why take something like this that's supposed to be about broader appeal and confine it to one chain of stores?
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Because Target is shelling out the big bucks to let DC and the JLA have their own, exclusive, dedicated line of clothes, toys, etc. at their stores.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I just don't like that this is a Target exclusive. Why take something like this that's supposed to be about broader appeal and confine it to one chain of stores?
    Target commissioned the movie as part of their recent slate of exclusive Justice League merchandise.

The movie, I thought, was pretty good. In many ways, it was an update to the Superfriends cartoon in the same vein as Brave and the Bold was an updat of the silver age comics and the Adam West show. the Smallville scene was a perfect example, even though the story could have gone for just straight, brutal action (and even another kid friendly adaptation such as Teen Titans or the DCAU might have gone there) they had the villains use deceit in what turned out to be one of the funniest scenes, all without robbing the movie of its ability to be taken seriously. I look forward to hopefully seeing more of these.
    "Aren't you cold, Finn?"

oh NOES a fun DC animated film

lets get ready to crap all over it
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
    Target commissioned the movie as part of their recent slate of exclusive Justice League merchandise.

The movie, I thought, was pretty good. In many ways, it was an update to the Superfriends cartoon in the same vein as Brave and the Bold was an updat of the silver age comics and the Adam West show. the Smallville scene was a perfect example, even though the story could have gone for just straight, brutal action (and even another kid friendly adaptation such as Teen Titans or the DCAU might have gone there) they had the villains use deceit in what turned out to be one of the funniest scenes, all without robbing the movie of its ability to be taken seriously. I look forward to hopefully seeing more of these.
    This. It really did feel like a modern version of the Superfriends. Even though it was made with kids in mind, it is in no way only for kids. As someone who loves the darker and more serious DC stories I really enjoyed this movie. The story was good, the characters were done well, and the dialogue wasn't too mature or too kid friendly.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    This. It really did feel like a modern version of the Superfriends. Even though it was made with kids in mind, it is in no way only for kids. As someone who loves the darker and more serious DC stories I really enjoyed this movie. The story was good, the characters were done well, and the dialogue wasn't too mature or too kid friendly.
    What was the actual visual/animation style like?
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

Middle of the road between kiddie pablum and modern gory?

I may just have to get this. My first DC DVD purchase since All-Star Superman. :)

(...God knows when they'll make something I'll at best do more than just tolerate again.)
    Daredevil-Waid, and Hawkeye. (Or was before received cost of cheapest Unaffordable Health Care. At least someone (government insurance companies and congress?) get to enjoy product of my working.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-man View Post

I must second these two reviews. The movie should be more appropriately termed 'all-ages' than 'kid-friendly'. I got it with the expectation it would be sub-par but it was fun, engaging and refreshing. I loved the nods to the 'Superfriends', 'Batman: The Brave and the Bold' and 'Justice League Animated'.

A more personal element worthy of praise for me was seeing Superman restored as the world's greatest hero of all time and the de facto leader of the league. This have been sacrificed in most modern adaptations to feed the Batman fanfare. Batman can be the most popular but he doesn't need to be the greatest.
    i love the dc new 52.