Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Jan 21, 2014

Augie has a new theory he wants to test: Can he tell how visually appealing a book will be simply by looking at the colors of its thumbnails?

Full article here.

In all honesty, I do judge a book by it's colours. My favourite piece in this article is easily Batman #27. The colours are gorgeous. My thing is, if it looks like it could be Watchmen-esque colour-wise, it will probably look beautiful.

For example,

These colours instantly drew me in. They're bright and they just really capture your attention.

I find myself browsing the Previews when a new #1 is out, and more often than not, I skip it if the colours don't appeal to me in the thumbnails. It's sad, but it's true. Dull colours usually equals me thinking a dull experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Augie has a new theory he wants to test: Can he tell how visually appealing a book will be simply by looking at the colors of its thumbnails?
    The book that I read that really strongly leverages a strong colorist is Morning Glories. I think Alex Sollazzo's work is outstanding and under appreciated.