Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Deadly Class, #1

It's 1987. Marcus Lopez hates school. His grades suck. He has no money. The jocks are hassling his friends. He can't focus in class, thanks to his mind constantly drifting to the stunning girl in the front row and the Dag Nasty show he has tickets to. But the jocks are the children of Joseph Stalin's top assassin, the teachers are members of an ancient league of assassins, the class he's failing is "Dismemberment 101," and his crush, a member of the most notorious crime syndicate in Japan, has a double-digit body count.
    Welcome to the most brutal high school on Earth, where the world's top crime families send the next generation of assassins to be trained. Murder is an art. Killing is a craft. At King's Dominion High School for the Deadly Arts, the dagger in your back isn't always metaphorical, nor is your fellow classmates' poison.
    Join writer RICK REMENDER with rising star WESLEY CRAIG (Batman) and legendary colorist LEE LOUGHRIDGE (Fear Agent) to reminisce about the mid-1980s underground through the eyes of the most damaged and dangerous teenagers on Earth.

Full article here.

It's great how, even with his heavy use of narration/textboxes, Remender always seems to know how to get the most out of his artists.

This looks great.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

The subject material is not something I would crave but this does look pretty solid. I'll give the first couple of issues a shot, I think.

I like the premise of the book and I haven't read anything like this so I was interested immediately. After reading the first issue I picked up today I like the artwork and the interesting backstory of the protagonist. I will give it a few issues.

I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I have bashed Remender's writing before -- I thought Black Science offered nothing, I think Uncanny Avengers is shock value garbage -- but this felt honest, personal, and hard-hitting in a way that most of his writing has lacked to me. I will say that at the end when the Asian professor appeared, I thought it got a little silly, but we'll see where the story is headed.

The 80s is probably my favorite decade too so maybe I am a little biased in liking the world in which this operates.

Wes Craig's art was PHENOMENAL. I have liked his art before but he completely crushed this.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

I loved this book! I am looking forward to learning about the school...it's like a badass version of Hogwarts! This is now my 8th Image pull (and 2nd Remender along with Black Science). I anticipate The Mercenary Sea will be my 9th stating in a few weeks.

By the way, as I have said a few times on these boards, Image is the only company I buy monthly comics from. I love the way they treat monthlies (no ads taking you out of the story, high quality paper, covers that are allowed to breathe without a bar code and ads for the latest Marvel or DC initiative).

This was alright personally, but I'll need to read more issues to be actually sold on it (a 7.5 in my book). I need to see actual "school" aspect before I'm truly convinced, since I've seen no part of it.

There are some parts though that I'm confused about. Why the heck did the police go completely nuts in trying to capture Marcus, to the point where they tried to execute him? Yes, he has been pickpocketing people, but does it really warrant all that insanity? Also, why does the school want Marcus? I'm not very clear on it since the students, outside of one, seem very indifferent to him, and it is eluded to because he showed mercy in the past (not a trait I normally associate with assassins) but not much else. Anyone have any ideas that can clear it up for me?

BANNED

let's face it, this was issue of the week

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post

There are some parts though that I'm confused about. Why the heck did the police go completely nuts in trying to capture Marcus, to the point where they tried to execute him? Yes, he has been pickpocketing people, but does it really warrant all that insanity? Also, why does the school want Marcus? I'm not very clear on it since the students, outside of one, seem very indifferent to him, and it is eluded to because he showed mercy in the past (not a trait I normally associate with assassins) but not much else. Anyone have any ideas that can clear it up for me?
    those two things are the very obvious mysteries the issue set up. you weren't confused.

I think that's what we are going to be discovering over the coming issues. There were numerous references to him doing something particularly heinous at the boys home. My guess is the cops and the school are after him for something having to do with that. Though I could be reading that wrong.

Remember, first issues aren't supposed to provide answers, they are supposed to raise questions to explore later.

Quote Originally Posted by direction9 View Post
    those two things are the very obvious mysteries the issue set up. you weren't confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    Remember, first issues aren't supposed to provide answers, they are supposed to raise questions to explore later.
    I know that, but when I read those parts, they didn't register as mysteries or anything to me. In fact, the whole cop situation was so over the top and out of nowhere really through me off to the point where I didn't really know what to make of it. It could been in that world the cops are just like that or something else. I dunno, it was just really odd to me that I couldn't be sure.

let's face it, this was issue of the week
    I don't know. I think its an interesting start and has potential, but that's it to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I know that, but when I read those parts, they didn't register as mysteries or anything to me. In fact, the whole cop situation was so over the top and out of nowhere really through me off to the point where I didn't really know what to make of it. It could been in that world the cops are just like that or something else. I dunno, it was just really odd to me that I couldn't be sure.
    wasn't odd to others though.

wasn't odd to others though.
    Well obviously not to others, but to me. Thanks for clearing it up though.

Pretty sure Marcus burned down the foster home he was at. First page shows it pretty wrecked, second cover shows him with a pack of matches. I'm guessing whatever may have stemmed from that is what the police were after him for.

I will admit to this...the cops being so quick to shoot and kill Marcos was a bit odd. Perhaps that is how cops were in the 80s. Or perhaps they weren't really cops...