Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Gone Too Soon: 16 Marvel & DC Titles That Ended Before Their Time

CBR looks at a number of late and lamented books fans still mourn, from "Chase" to "Generation Hope" to "Thor the Mighty Avenger" and more.

Full article here.

Odd list.
    Mostly, I agree with MI:13, Agent of Atlas, The Thing and maybe Aztek, though, frankly, it's ben so long I read it, that I hardly recall anything about it.
    NextWave I enjoyed it for what it was, an out of continuity offbeat mini, and, quite franly, I think it did what it came here to do. O.M.A.C is great, and I'd really have loved to see more of it, but you could say the same of many of Kirby's projects, specially at DC. Most of the others, I never read nor did they really cause an impression on me. Defenders was one that I was waiting for the TPBs, but when I saw it was not goiung anywhere, cjose not to wet my appatites on it.

Peace

Man, I love Agents of Atlas, Nextwave, and Chase. Definitely could go for more of those three.

SWORD, though? I hated the art so much. Beast was drawn like a dog rather than a cat, for one. That may have been a factor for others as well.
    Pull List: Animal Man, Avengers Arena, Suicide Risk, Suicide Squad, Superior Foes, Swamp Thing, X-Men
    Trade Waiting: Superior Spider-Man, Unwritten, The Walking Dead

Thor, the Mighty Avenger was great comics. Just good fun, no dark, grim and gritty crap with a "message" or an axe to grind. Just adventures.

Spider-Woman and Thor, the Mighty Avenger was great reads! I was truly upset when those got the ax.

Man, seeing Nextwave on that list just opens up all sorts of wounds.

I need a beer.

I miss the Defenders. Best thing Fraction's worked on.

Agree on Chase and Dial H; I don't think Saucer Country could have kept going much longer without spinning its wheels or repeating itself.

My vote for the most criminally underappreciated DC book (though not quite as short-lived as these) was Kurt Busiek's "The Power Company," which had seven preview issues to introduce (or reintroduce) the team members and 18 regular issues. The concept of a hero team operated like a law firm, with a mix of paid clients and pro bono work, was brilliant and could have been a springboard for many more stories than Busiek had the chance to tell. And the mix of characters and their motivations was fascinating and (of course) used very skillfully. (BTW, I think I have a spare set if someone wants to buy it.)

Another series I was sorry to see go after 25 issues was "Hourman."

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Cool list, very different group of titles there. I would have had The Crew at the top of mine though. The issues that did come out are some of the best urban comics to ever come out. Deep message, great characters, fun story, sweet art. Priest having to defend the book for what it was instead of what people thought it was... I get a little mad every time I think about how it was received upon release.

Anyway, off this list, I miss Agents of Atlas and Doctor Voodoo the most.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Agents of Atlas and Captain Britain & MI13 were books featuring characters I thought I had no interest in reading about. I was so wrong on both accounts. I've found that
    Jeff Parker and Paul Cornell are clever enough to make just about any character worth reading. Hopefully, some of these books will get a shot again. I'll probably purchase
    the ones from the list I don't already have, based on the write-ups.
    <a href="http://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=713901P01">Buy comic books at mycomicshop.com</a>
    THE absolute best online comic shop!!!

You could pretty much add any cancelled title that had a relatively short run to this. Kind of a funny article, as a list like this is so personal-favorite biased.

Love Nextwave showing up on here. One of the funnest and funniest comics ever.

What about: Incredible Hercules, Guardians of the Galaxy (DnA's), Hickman's Secret Warriors (whether he ended it short due to his schedule or whether Marvel told him to end it quicker, he obviously had larger plans for the book), Journey into Mystery (Sif), Fearless Defenders, Red She-Hulk, on and on...
    "No job is worth your integrity" - Herm Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by pogofan View Post
    My vote for the most criminally underappreciated DC book (though not quite as short-lived as these) was Kurt Busiek's "The Power Company," which had seven preview issues to introduce (or reintroduce) the team members and 18 regular issues. The concept of a hero team operated like a law firm, with a mix of paid clients and pro bono work, was brilliant and could have been a springboard for many more stories than Busiek had the chance to tell. And the mix of characters and their motivations was fascinating and (of course) used very skillfully. (BTW, I think I have a spare set if someone wants to buy it.)

Another series I was sorry to see go after 25 issues was "Hourman."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziza9 View Post
    Cool list, very different group of titles there. I would have had The Crew at the top of mine though. The issues that did come out are some of the best urban comics to ever come out. Deep message, great characters, fun story, sweet art. Priest having to defend the book for what it was instead of what people thought it was... I get a little mad every time I think about how it was received upon release.
    Loved The Power Company. Was really sad it didn't last. The Crew is something I never got to read, but always wished I had.
    My addition to the list is Ostrander and Ferry's Heroes for Hire. It's probably, IMHO, one of the best things Marvel has EVER put out, and it ended after only 19 issues and an annual due to Heroes Return killing its reason for existing. So many different characters, all with their voices perfect. Anybody who thinks Bendis actually gets Luke Cage should definitly read this. IMHO, the most pitch perfect depiction the character ever had.

Peace

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

My heart broke at the cancellation of Doctor Voodoo.

And I would have given anything to read that Vixen ongoing...after Wonder Woman and Raven she is my favourite DC female superhero.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

The Crew Agents of Atlas Mystery Men New Gods The Shadow
    Last edited by hondobrode; 01-21-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Scarlet Spider should be on that list as well. sadly imho the last issue seemed rushed.