Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

2 New Reviews:

Review: 'Justice League: War' A Dry Run For 'Justice League'
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...ustice-league/

Blu-Ray Review: ‘Justice League: War’
    http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews...ar-1201083751/
    Last edited by zryson; 02-03-2014 at 01:48 PM.

...just watched it on demand-- not too bad, all things considered. Didn't care for Diana's "so glad to be in battle" type attitude, but her action sequences were pretty good. One nitpicky thing-- the colors of her (god awful) costume were so muddy and subdued.... Kal, Shazam, FLash-- they all got to be in vibrant red, yellow, blue ....DIana looked like she was wearing purple when standing next to da boyz....

M

I liked how she kept on putting her sword in people's faces when she first appears in the movie. That cross dressing reveal scene was funny.

Just saw the movie last night and it was disappointing. The animation looked slightly inferior to previous films, like Flashpoint and Crisis on two Earths. The obvious computer animation in certain scenes seemed out of place to me.

Plus, just like in Azz's books, when the Justice League fights cannon fodder opponents for the most part, it makes for a dull fight/action sequence. And funny how much explosives that Batman carries in that utility belt.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Just saw the movie last night and it was disappointing. The animation looked slightly inferior to previous films, like Flashpoint and Crisis on two Earths. The obvious computer animation in certain scenes seemed out of place to me.

Plus, just like in Azz's books, when the Justice League fights cannon fodder opponents for the most part, it makes for a dull fight/action sequence. And funny how much explosives that Batman carries in that utility belt.
    Have you seen JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time? That was really fun. The animation isnt as elaborate but it has a fun silly script with lots of laughs (which work!) and a nice engaging storyline. Comparing JLA to Justice League, I was struck by how dull and plodding Justice League: War was. Its just relying on empty spectacle (much like Man of Steel did) with lightweight one-dimensional characters.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Have you seen JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time? That was really fun. The animation isnt as elaborate but it has a fun silly script with lots of laughs (which work!) and a nice engaging storyline. Comparing JLA to Justice League, I was struck by how dull and plodding Justice League: War was. Its just relying on empty spectacle (much like Man of Steel did) with lightweight one-dimensional characters.
    Not sure if I want to see that one. Maybe on youtube or something like that. At least, don't think I would want to pay for it

For the most part, I have really liked the DC animated universe, but this was the first one (JL: WAR) that was part of the nuDC. Maybe that is why it didn't resonate so much with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaharrison View Post
    Yeah, but blocking and barely surviving are very different. WW is one of the few who should be able to live through an omega, but she blocked it twice (once with her sword, again with the bracelets) with not particular difficulty.

Meh, New Gods have a kind of cosmic characterization that transcends stuff like Olympus.
    I can see getting that from the continuity of 52 and on. But the Gods in WW are beyond cosmic in the old continuity and actually gave rise to the Fourth World in some interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    The only problem I have with WW's blocking Darkseid's Omega beams with her bracelets are that the Omega beams can zig and zag at Darkseid's whims. When WW blocks Superman's or Kara's heat vision, it's a lot easier because those shots travel in a predictable and linear path. Darkseid, you figure, can change the direction of his blast if he wanted to, so at some point, you start yelling at the screen (okay, not literally), "Hey dummy, try aiming those somewhere else!" Plus, it would look a lot cooler if WW had to block from all directions: high, low, left, right, front, back, sideways, diagonally, etc.
    The Omega Beams do indeed zig and zag however superspeed has been shown to be a very good counter for them with the likes of Superman and the Flash using it to evade the beams and making a last second dodge causing them to strike another object/party. Desaad has no superspeed and managed the same.

With Wonder Woman, especially if they are honoring the mechanics of her bracelets as set forth in the Crisis reboot with Perez/Berger, you have an extra layer in that the Silver Bracelets not only actively protect the wearer but can change and augment the energies they deflect. That would eliminate any controls of the beams on Darkseid's behalf once they struck Amaltheia's hide.

Just saw it:

Diana is written like a sword happy idiot. Batman is the only one with a brain. Didn't care for his voice, but otherwise he was good- in that he was the cool smart one. Superman and Flash are not half bad in that they are semi intelligent. Hal is a comic relief dopey jock. Just as idiotic as he was in the comic, some of it was funny but very broad and he came off as just too dumb to be entrusted with a space sector. Shazam, just a broad humor, kid, played for laughs- though his action scenes are not half bad- I liked his look and depiction of his power. But again, seemed like- other than the fact he was good-hearted, why is this average kid given this power.

Cyborg I actually thought was done well. You don't expect the quarterback to be a brain, but he pushed for team work and his confusion was not unexpected this being his first day on the job so I had no disrespect for his depiction.

So, they write this stuff at a 5th grade level basically. It seems like a first draft in scripting and in concept design. When I've seen better stuff 10 or more years ago, you know that's not good. Diana... if people are supposed to be going "She's hot!" or having that reaction to her, wouldn't her current costume, with the cleavage, serve better? Just terrible. And man did she come off as dumb, no warrior waves her sword around like it's a pointing stick- frightening the ice cream vendor with it. I guess it was supposed to be funny. I wouldn't have minded her trying icecream for the first time, but then she points her sword in the air and... ugh. Face palm.

1 1/2 out of 5 stars.