Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Gillen & McKelvie Introduce "The Wicked and the Divine"

A very dapper Kieron Gillen & Jamie McKelvie shared some cookies and fancy secrets about their upcoming Image book "The Wicked and the Divine."

Full article here.

They left Young Avengers for Three and now this - overwrought story done already a couple of times better, in several variations of mythical creatures, genres and artistic venues...

Only thing I am reading from Image line are Morning Glories. I am not familliar with their other stuff, but if they want to get more popular, they need to pick projects that will actualy resound with some target audience willing to sprout cash for ongoing book.

Well, I'm "willing to sprout cash for an ongoing book" from this creative team with this kind of story. It would have been fun if they wanted to tell more Young Avenger stories though. Looks like Loki and Hawkgirl are the only characters not going back in limbo.

I'm excited to see what the other gods will look like (especially based on their tumblr page).
    Saga UncannyAvengers AmazingXMen AllNewXFactor XForce Magneto Loki Nightcrawler Inhuman Deadpool
    Awaiting: Wicked+Divine SpiderMan2099

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    They left Young Avengers for Three and now this - overwrought story done already a couple of times better, in several variations of mythical creatures, genres and artistic venues...

Only thing I am reading from Image line are Morning Glories. I am not familliar with their other stuff, but if they want to get more popular, they need to pick projects that will actualy resound with some target audience willing to sprout cash for ongoing book.
    "Gods walk among is" is quite a common trope (hell, Nick Spencer's Paradigms was announced at the same con) but I've not seen something quite like this.

And even if this exact comic has been done a million times before (not sure by what, but let's say that it has), doesn't that suggest that there IS a target audience willing to sprout cash for it?

Anyway, all I know is that it's Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie doing an urban fantasy comic. That's right in my wheel-house which, I guess, means I'm a member of the target audience that you claim doesn't exist. Given the emphasis on art/music, pop culture, magic, and "nowness," I imagine this comic also taps much of the audience(s) that were tapped by Young Avengers and Phonogram.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Much cash is being sprouted for Image books.

I will literally pick up any project these two work on together. I very much look forward to the next installment of Phonogram. The Singles Club was absolutely amazing. It even got non-comic reader friends of mine to read comics.

I am not familliar with their other stuff, but if they want to get more popular, they need to pick projects that will actualy resound with some target audience willing to sprout cash for ongoing book.
    So you admit to not knowing what other titles Image is doing and yet suggest they get titles that will resound with target audiences. Do you see the confusion here?

I like how you think that because you're only reading Morning Glories, Image is failing - which is hardly the case and they're plenty popular. Also, Three was a limited series anyway, and they told the story they wanted to tell with YA. I also like how you think you can tell what this is going to be like - the description hardly makes it sound overwrought. And please, use that crystal ball of yours to tell us all the plot beats, since it's supposedly 'been done better'.

I'm sold, anyway. I would like to see that third series of Phonogram or more Suburban Glamour from McKelvie, but if KG and JM never revisit either of those properties and just do more stuff like this? Fine. I'd rather have creators doing what they want to do than feeling some kind of obligation toward the fans.

This is why I'm in a love-hate relationship with Image… I love what's happening there and there's so much that I want to read! But this means my pull list starts getting bigger again right after I've made cuts to it…

But, Gillen is one of my favourite writers in comics at the moment and I just adore McKelvie's art! Plus I like the sound of what they'll be doing with it. So I'm definitely looking forward to this!
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Quote Originally Posted by xJ25x View Post
    So you admit to not knowing what other titles Image is doing and yet suggest they get titles that will resound with target audiences. Do you see the confusion here?
    No. I admit I am not reading anything of theirs ( though I do not remember who publishes Saga, but Spider Man, Batman and related titles, Swamp Thing and Afterlife With Archie which I follow are not theirs ). But I tend to follow sales charts published on CBR. Am pretty ceertain Image titles do not hold same circulation as the big two.

Quote Originally Posted by Statham View Post
    I like how you think that because you're only reading Morning Glories, Image is failing - which is hardly the case and they're plenty popular. Also, Three was a limited series anyway, and they told the story they wanted to tell with YA. I also like how you think you can tell what this is going to be like - the description hardly makes it sound overwrought. And please, use that crystal ball of yours to tell us all the plot beats, since it's supposedly 'been done better'.

I'm sold, anyway. I would like to see that third series of Phonogram or more Suburban Glamour from McKelvie, but if KG and JM never revisit either of those properties and just do more stuff like this? Fine. I'd rather have creators doing what they want to do than feeling some kind of obligation toward the fans.

For starters, I can tell you they did not do their homework properly. They are touting Gods as protagonists, yet their main character, if the description is clear, shows they have 0 knowledge about tenets of Christianity.

As a reader of SF, Fantasy and Horror novels, I can tell you that my assertion is right - this has been done gazillion times, in several variatons of mythological beings.