Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default New "300: Rise of an Empire" Trailer Brings Conflict To Sea

Warner Bros. new "300: Rise of an Empire" trailer brings a new look at the naval conflict of the film, featuring Eva Green & Sullivan Stapleton.

Full article here.

Saw it in standard. I enjoyed it, though it doesn't have the WOW factor of the first because the novelty isn't there. I've seen 300, and things directly inspired by 300, several times over now. I walked out of 300 practically bursting with "Fuck Yeah!", I walked out of Rise of an Empire thinking "yeah, that was pretty good. Wonder if I'll wait for a double-set on blu ray."

The end credits say "based on the graphic novel 'Xerxes' by Frank Miller". Is that out already? Anyway, despite that, Xerxes himself isn't very prominent in the film. We get his origin, and a tantalizing groundwork for personal enmity between him and Themistocles, but it never really goes anywhere. Xerxes is barely more of a presence in this movie than in the first.

Speaking of origins, I think we needed more of one for Themistocles himself. We get that he's a patriot and a brilliant commander and he dreams of a united Greece, but we get no real sense of why. I didn't even get that one of the other characters was his actual brother until near the end. Everybody calls each other brother in these movies! By comparison, Leonidas was very well established in the first, the audience gets exactly who is and what he's about by the end of the first act.

Artemesia is the real star of the flick.

Like their Spartan rivals, Athenians apparently don't believe ineither, which is funny because we see their helmets save their lives more than once. Only the Persians actually suit up, for all the (zero) good it does them.

The naval Immortals were pretty cool.

At exactly the point in the 'negotiation scene' that I was thinking "Oh, I guess Eva Green decided she didn't want to show her...." *BAM!*

The action sequence with the horse ride didn't quite work for me. Maybe it looks good in 3d, but I just found it looked hard-to-follow and too videogamey.

The story didn't actually end at the place I expected, which makes me wonder if they're hoping to make it trilogy.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

'300' is a favorite movie of mine. This...was no '300'.

Watching it, I could only plainly see that the reason it was made was to make $. Which is perfectly fine, and I'm happy for the hundreds that worked on the movie & financially benefit from it existing.

But, the story is nonsense. As noted above, we get not sense of who Themistokles is or why his story even matters. This side story in a way even cheapens the heroics & Leonidas' story in 300.

And the main reason we could believe that the Spartans could fight off the invading army, was that they were from a a society trained from birth to fight, fight...then fight some more. True warriors.

Acadians? How the hell does it make any sense that they can fight just as magnificently as the Spartans? They were cutting through Persians like any 'ol Spartan.

I was finding myself wanting to leave the theater mid-way. Thankfully, I can just watch 300 and forget this.
    "With Green Lantern, it's easy to see now that characters don't go stale, the creators do. Get the right writer and artist on the book and success is always possible. - CBR member Brett Tolino"

Well yeah it wasn't as impressive as 300. Strangely the Persians in this movie seemed totally inept, I mean damn the greeks were just running through them like children.
    Also to see these tiny woman just totally own dudes 3 times bigger and stronger than them made me miss the days when a woman like Cory Everson could be in movies. It was still really entertaining though.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    the story is nonsense
    As opposed to 300's ?

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    Well yeah it wasn't as impressive as 300. Strangely the Persians in this movie seemed totally inept, I mean damn the greeks were just running through them like children.
    Also to see these tiny woman just totally own dudes 3 times bigger and stronger than them made me miss the days when a woman like Cory Everson could be in movies. It was still really entertaining though.

Brienne of Tarth......
    Like to see what she'd make of them.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Brienne of Tarth......
    Like to see what she'd make of them.

Yeah I thought about her too. At least someone formidable looking, otherwise it just plays like comedy at certain points.

You mean that grossly buffed woman?

Good god, you have some fcked up taste.

No one was talking taste, rather what type of woman is believable in the role of kicking a man's ass.lol. Even still I wouldn't call Cory Everson gross that's just low class.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Finally got around to seeing 300: Rise of an Empire. I found it deliciously silly; the main character is actually Artemisia, and Eva Green's performance is beautifully over the top. Themistocles comes across as a Greek Wallace making Braveheart speeches wherever he goes. The re-enacted naval battles manage to be ridiculous and widely historically inaccurate.

It isn't so much drama as spectacle. Unlike Gladiator, this has the main thing you're looking for in a sword and sandal film: i.e. it is unintentionally funny. For me, that makes it the sort of film I'll watch over and over again. ⋆⋆⋆⋆
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    '
    Acadians? How the hell does it make any sense that they can fight just as magnificently as the Spartans? They were cutting through Persians like any 'ol Spartan.

I was finding myself wanting to leave the theater mid-way. Thankfully, I can just watch 300 and forget this.
    It's not like historically other city states could stand up to Spartans or enact mass casualties on the Persians. Don't underestimate the power of the phalanx.

Sparta was often defeated in land (and even more often on sea) battles by Athens, Thebes or Corinth.

The invulnerability of the Spartans is very simply a myth. And a good example of that is that in the end it's thanks to the navy (Syracuse's navy mostly) that they defeated the Athenians during the Peloponnesian war and not of their phalanx.

And of course the big winner of the war against the Persians was Athens, not Sparta.

Saw the movie, thought it was actually better than the first movie, and that is largely due to Eva Green. Her role could have easily made this film way more terrible than it is; instead, I felt like her scenes were the most worthwhile.

So, not an excellent movie, but better than I expected.