Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Gage Rides with the Goblin Knight in "Superior Spider-Man Annual" #2

Christos Gage's "Superior Spider-Man Annual" #2 unfolds during the chaos of "Goblin Nation" and features the Goblin Knight, Phil Urich, and his Uncle Ben.

Full article here.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Gage is a capable writer and I trust this will be good, but I've just never warmed up to Phil as Hobgoblin.
    Superman sucks. Batman rules. Spider-man's the best.

I never get the whole Phil is a "dark mirror image" of Peter Parker bit. Outside of working at the Bugle and having an Uncle Ben I haven't seen anything that makes Phil more of a "twisted verison" of Pete that we haven't seen with Venom, or Kaine, or Doc Ock, etc. etc. If anything Phil just seems like Jason Macendale 2.0, a loser flunky who cackles loudly after making some kind of bad pun.

I like Gage but I simply don't care for Urich-goblin. I'll skip it unless Kingsley has a substantial role in it.
    Last edited by Hambone; 01-22-2014 at 06:54 AM.

I liked Phil when he was actually trying to be a good guy goblin.

Crazy Phil can go be killed off in Goblin Nation.
    Last edited by Jeremi; 01-20-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I never get the whole Phil is a "dark mirror image" of Peter Parker bit. Outside of working at the Bugle and having an Uncle Ben I haven't seen anything that makes Phil more of a "twisted verison" of Pete that we haven't seen with Venom, or Kaine, or Doc Ock, etc. etc. If anything Phil just seems like Jason Macendale 2.0, a loser flunky who cackles loudly after making some kind of bad pun.

I like Cage but I simply don't care for Urich-goblin. I'll skip it unless Kingsley has a substantial role in it.
    I really thought there would be more done with this. Early in the Big Time era, they were setting Phil up for this role--he worked at the Bugle and had an Uncle Ben, and was making money off of selling footage of himself as Hobgoblin.

Then he was just constantly getting his ass handed to him, but only after beheading a super-powered Daniel Kingsley and then almost killing Spider-man in their first meeting, naturally.
    Superman sucks. Batman rules. Spider-man's the best.

Hmm makes me wonder if the other Goblin story could be the newly made in #25 or Hobgoblin.
    Last edited by Blight; 01-20-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    Behold, I shall be a blight upon the land, and everything I touch shall wither and die!