Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default BATWOMAN #27 Preview/Discussion

Batwoman faces off against the new Black Spider as the mystery deepens! What do the wealthy citizens of Gotham City have that he wants? Will Batwoman's overconfidence cost her her life? And on the personal front: Kate meets Maggie's daughter!

Full article here.

I hope this puts to rest some of the claims that the art is being turned "normal". It is a little close to to the last psychedelia issue, but hopeful this wont take as large a percentage of the story.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Yeah, but that psychadelic page is by Manapul who isn't the main artist. Although, it seems like Haun is experimenting with some panel layouts himself.
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

Even if what's in the preview is Manupal's only contribution it's worth it. Haun has potential and turns in very good work but Manupal is already a master. Heck, just that bit has me wishing Manupal had come over to Batwoman to be with Andreyko rather than Detective...

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I know he at least has one other page, because he posted it on the internet.
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Ah yes!

Yes, yes, yes.

Veteran Member

I have already read it and written about it.

A bit decompressed but good nonetheless.

Good comics.

I didn't expect Manapul's pages to basically be pulling the old psychedelic J.H. Williams Splash Page routine for three spreads, but no complaints!

Wolf Spider is slick and clearly enjoys the whole costumed, code-named thing. It was a bit decompressed, but the ending is so banal and mundane and is perfect for it. Shared spaces and cohabitation.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

just read it
    it was a pretty quick read

im really split on this issue
    I will say one thing first
    I so not care about Wolf Spider.
    It just feels so incredibly generic, there is no hook, why is this even the villain of the first story, what is Andreyko thinking!? we moved from fighting werewolves, demons and Batman to this random thief in costume #47, and he beats her up so easily, Wtf!!
    It is just so boring.

the first part of the comic was just pretty much a flashback or delusion of all the backstory, not very interesting if you have already read the book before, it isnt bad, just nothign special and we shouldnt have spend that long on this

the art took a HUGE improvement from last issue, but it is still not quite enough
    However
    the ending, which was pretty decompressed, was Fantastic.
    What an interesting twist! so simple and so strong, and Very interesting
    Im honestly really invested in what is going to happen next because I have no idea where it might go and I really hope it pays off.

so I would give this a couple of more issues if just focuses more into the character the drama that is natural to it and less into this generic superhero plot
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

Really good use of the psychedelic trip pages. Not only did the seem to connect to previous artists' work on the title but it worked as reminder of the character's history and a tease for the unfinished story conclusion in April. I'm impressed.

Still I liked the previous two issues better, probably because while impressive it also meant less happened in the issue. More to the point there was less interaction between the characters. While the series may have needed those spread, I don't think the issue did. The issue needed something other than a trip from some poisoned laced darts to have Wolf Spider make an impression.

There was the end and that was exciting. Opens a lot of questions.
    Last edited by LostinFandom; 01-22-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Just want to chime in and say those Manapul spreads were phenomenal! It's been the only book I've gone and re-read just to be re-amazed by the beauty of those pages.

I liked the use of the psychedelic pages also. I felt it showed she was still dealing with unresolved issues. Great cliffhanger.

Nope, done here.

Pretty good issue. Love the psychedelic pages.

Well, I have a different perspective than most, evidently. I personally could have done without the psychedelic trip pages by Manapul, which really didn't contribute anything to the storyline. Still, I know this book has a history of being art-driven with an emphasis on the unusual, so I don't begrudge the indulgence.

I suppose Haun's more conventional art style is jarring to old-time readers, but while it's clearly nothing exceptional, I think it's perfectly competent and don't have a problem with it. The story is picking up speed and the inclusion of "Nathan" is adding a new angle. Personally, I didn't like the werewolves, demons, etc. It was a big reason why I dropped the book earlier. So this more down-to-earth story is more to my liking.

The real treat was the last four pages, though, which are SO Andreyko. Can't wait to see where this goes.

I was still unsure about this book last month, but it's starting to look like a keeper to me.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum