Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,016

    Default Axel-In-Charge - Jan 17, 2014

    From "Hulk" & "Amazing Spider-Man" to the Ultimate Universe, Axel Alonso looks at the facelift many long-running Marvel series will get this spring.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,805

    Default

    I am really liking the all-new marvel now currently, can't wait to start reading all the new series including the ones set in the Ultimate Universe. As for the the art work for All-new X-factor, it looks good but why does Gambit own three cats?

  3. #3

    Default

    Good to hear A.I. sold well, hopefully that helps it push through a second story arc.

  4. #4
    Senior Member purplevit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    Awesome all-new X-Facror variant and preview!!! Cant wait to see more!!
    But colorourist is strange

  5. #5
    Senior Member A_Nominus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sifighter View Post
    I am really liking the all-new marvel now currently, can't wait to start reading all the new series including the ones set in the Ultimate Universe. As for the the art work for All-new X-factor, it looks good but why does Gambit own three cats?
    They were left at his apartment by Mystique in Astoninshing X-Men, and they've stuck around since.
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

  6. #6
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    They were left at his apartment by Mystique in Astoninshing X-Men, and they've stuck around since.
    So . . . what are the odds that one of 'em actually is Mystique?
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

    Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Toad looks so sad what happened to him

  8. #8

    Default

    I get that everyone at Marvel sees comics as a stepping stone to a much cooler (and less nerdy) Hollywood career. Hell, I even called it way back in 2007 that Quesada was hiring all these TV and movie writers to extend his personal network of friends to Hollywood, to make it easier for him to someday make that jump. And he did not disappoint. The "Director's Cuts", the "Commentary Tracks", referring to monthlies as episodes and arcs as seasons... I get it all.

    And to a certain extent, I agree with it. It *does* give a very old-fashion media a fresh coat of paint that almost makes comics look relevant in today's world.

    However, I was recently organizing my comic book collection and itemizing everything for the purpose of getting rid of all of it somewhere down the line; either through eBay or a LCS. I'm not even expecting much in return. In fact, I even wondered if the exercise is even worth it. Maybe I should just throw them all away. Everything is digital now.

    But I digress. The point I want to make is, having high issue numbers made it easy to store and organize them. It made it easy to tell someone "Yeah, I have X-Factor #1-50" and the person would know exactly what I'm talking about. But organizing the issues of the Quesada era has been a major pain in the ass, and it's twice as bad for those that were published under Alonso.

    I use dividers in my longboxes and try not to abuse of them. The 80's comics have a single divider between every major title. The 90's comics have a couple more. But the more we get closer to the present, the more dividers I need. And it's gotten to the point where the dividers are costing me a fortune, because it feels like there's a new one every 12 issues.

    If it was just the numbering, it wouldn't be as big a deal. But it's also the names of these books. X-Men. Uncanny X-Men. Astonishing X-Men. New X-Men. ALL-New X-Men. ALL-NEW X-MEN PLUS ONE!!

    And as I try to organize today's monthlies, I just don't want to do it anymore. Marvel wants its cake and eat it too. They want the feel of going graphic novel, with all the money that comes with the monthly chapters. They are practically DARING the audience to give up on monthlies and switch to trades.

    The urge to "complete" a series is also gone, and I don't think that's something Marvel can recover from. There's something very powerful in the audience wanting every issue of a run, including the bad ones, that Marvel has now lost. Because jumping-on points are also jumping-off points. Because organizing this crap is a pain in the ass.

    It's gotten to the point where I feel like organizing everything up to Heroes Return, and then throw everything after that away, just because organizing it has become a bigger burden than it's worth.

    I don't know if I'm making any sense to anyone here, it's hard for me to find the words to express the annoyance I'm feeling towards today's split-personality-disorder comics. Monthlies that want to be graphic novels. Graphic novels that need the monthly chapter money.

    I will be so glad when this dance is over and Marvel has finally killed their monthly market to the point where we're only going to get graphic novels.

  9. #9
    Senior Member A_Nominus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    So . . . what are the odds that one of 'em actually is Mystique?
    Last I checked Mystique can't change her mass very drastically, at least not for extended periods. And she's probably too busy elsewhere to be wasting her time as a cat in Gambit's apartment.
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

  10. #10

    Default

    I was hoping he'd mention the All New All Creepy Avengers

  11. #11
    Dazed and Confused Badou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    They were left at his apartment by Mystique in Astoninshing X-Men, and they've stuck around since.
    She saved the cats from being eaten by Sabertooth as well, right? Since I think he had them in a cage or something then she forced them on Gambit when she went to go warn him about Iceman's powers being out of control or something.

  12. #12
    IMPERIUS REX!!! Rheged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlantean Embassy
    Posts
    16,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jyeager11 View Post
    I get that everyone at Marvel sees comics as a stepping stone to a much cooler (and less nerdy) Hollywood career. Hell, I even called it way back in 2007 that Quesada was hiring all these TV and movie writers to extend his personal network of friends to Hollywood, to make it easier for him to someday make that jump. And he did not disappoint. The "Director's Cuts", the "Commentary Tracks", referring to monthlies as episodes and arcs as seasons... I get it all.

    And to a certain extent, I agree with it. It *does* give a very old-fashion media a fresh coat of paint that almost makes comics look relevant in today's world.

    However, I was recently organizing my comic book collection and itemizing everything for the purpose of getting rid of all of it somewhere down the line; either through eBay or a LCS. I'm not even expecting much in return. In fact, I even wondered if the exercise is even worth it. Maybe I should just throw them all away. Everything is digital now.

    But I digress. The point I want to make is, having high issue numbers made it easy to store and organize them. It made it easy to tell someone "Yeah, I have X-Factor #1-50" and the person would know exactly what I'm talking about. But organizing the issues of the Quesada era has been a major pain in the ass, and it's twice as bad for those that were published under Alonso.

    I use dividers in my longboxes and try not to abuse of them. The 80's comics have a single divider between every major title. The 90's comics have a couple more. But the more we get closer to the present, the more dividers I need. And it's gotten to the point where the dividers are costing me a fortune, because it feels like there's a new one every 12 issues.

    If it was just the numbering, it wouldn't be as big a deal. But it's also the names of these books. X-Men. Uncanny X-Men. Astonishing X-Men. New X-Men. ALL-New X-Men. ALL-NEW X-MEN PLUS ONE!!

    And as I try to organize today's monthlies, I just don't want to do it anymore. Marvel wants its cake and eat it too. They want the feel of going graphic novel, with all the money that comes with the monthly chapters. They are practically DARING the audience to give up on monthlies and switch to trades.

    The urge to "complete" a series is also gone, and I don't think that's something Marvel can recover from. There's something very powerful in the audience wanting every issue of a run, including the bad ones, that Marvel has now lost. Because jumping-on points are also jumping-off points. Because organizing this crap is a pain in the ass.

    It's gotten to the point where I feel like organizing everything up to Heroes Return, and then throw everything after that away, just because organizing it has become a bigger burden than it's worth.

    I don't know if I'm making any sense to anyone here, it's hard for me to find the words to express the annoyance I'm feeling towards today's split-personality-disorder comics. Monthlies that want to be graphic novels. Graphic novels that need the monthly chapter money.

    I will be so glad when this dance is over and Marvel has finally killed their monthly market to the point where we're only going to get graphic novels.

    Thank you. For years I've thought that Marvel was cannibalizing the collector market that has supported comics for decades. And by collector, I'm not talking about speculators. And your post is great example of that.

    And yes, it's schizophrenic. We're told to follow creators, not characters. To just buy good stories, and don't buy stories in a run you don't like. BUT, then why are they pushing a gazillion variants? What's on the cover has nothing to do with a creator, or story. It's aimed directly at a collector's pocketbook. If the number of an issue doesn't matter, then why keep renumbering books? Because numbers DO matter.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    They were left at his apartment by Mystique in Astoninshing X-Men, and they've stuck around since.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    So . . . what are the odds that one of 'em actually is Mystique?
    Its not Mystique, she literally took them from the cage that Sabertooth had them kept in and took them away from him. They played with her guns while she was bathing. I really don't think she would waste time being one of his kittens. It is what it is, she saved them and left them with Gambit.

    I don't think she can separate herself either for lengths of time. It can't be her.

    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro. AKA - Oliver and Company.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible ta women." - Gambit ANXF #9

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Thank you. For years I've thought that Marvel was cannibalizing the collector market that has supported comics for decades. And by collector, I'm not talking about speculators. And your post is great example of that.

    And yes, it's schizophrenic. We're told to follow creators, not characters. To just buy good stories, and don't buy stories in a run you don't like. BUT, then why are they pushing a gazillion variants? What's on the cover has nothing to do with a creator, or story. It's aimed directly at a collector's pocketbook. If the number of an issue doesn't matter, then why keep renumbering books? Because numbers DO matter.
    There's nothing inherently "wrong" about Marvel wanting to adopt a more contemporary business model. Or its creators wanting their work to be more self-contained, rather than have it confused with other runs. My problem is Marvel wanting it both ways, and dragging out the transition too long.

    Marvel is still making too much money to change anything in any drastic way anytime soon, so I almost wish for Nu-DC to fail spectacularly enough that THEY wake up one morning and just go : "Fuck it. Let's just become a graphic novel company. Let's put out books like novels, the way other publishers do. Let's stop double-dipping and pissing everyone off. Let's fast-forward to where we all know the industry is going anyway."

    Hell, you may even get kids buying again. The idea of waiting for a 21-page chapter of a story each month is kind of silly to anyone who didn't grow up with this model. Teens and young adults have no problem buying Harry Potter, Twilight or Hunger Games books. But ask them how they would feel about the publisher offering them this story 21 pages at a time, at one month intervals. They'd laugh in your face. You've got a story to tell? Put it in a book and put a price on that book. That's what they would tell you.

    Plus, it would make creators with Hollywood-envy happy too. They wrote (or illustrated) a specific 132-page book. A single, tangible object you can put on a bookshelf, or order online. Some will say that's already the case with trade collections, but it's not. It's not the same when you put out a new book and hype it like a new Hunger Games book gets hyped. If the story had already been leaked in 21-page increments all over the place, what excitement is there left for the trade?

    Again, Marvel wants its cake and eat it too. It wants the money gouging that comes from monthlies, and it wants the look/feel/hype of novels, movies and TV shows. And this transition is so slow and painful, they may lose me altogether until they commit to the graphic novel format. It's inevitable that they some day will.
    Last edited by jyeager11; 01-17-2014 at 04:18 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Looks like April is going to be an exciting month. I think this new wave of #1s has been better than the first wave. All New X-Factor, Black Widow, and Avengers World have raised the bar. And The Trial of Jean Grey is looking better with every preview. But I think the biggest title by far is going to be Amazing Spider-Man. I will be shocked if that isn't the number one selling comic book of the month when that comes out. Like the end of New Coke, Superior Spider-Man was bound to end like this. I'm glad it's happening sooner rather than later. I just hope it doesn't end up like Brand New Day and basically reset Peter back to where he was. I would like him to make SOME progress after his ordeal with Ock.

    And I can't help but wonder whether Alonso is just blowing smoke when he talks about the Ultimate universe at this point. This thing has had three relaunches in five years. And before Cataclysm, Ultimates and Ultimate X-men were the lowest selling ongoings, well into cancellation territory. Why is it every time they want a status quo change they just kill a bunch of characters? If it's just because they can get away with it, that's a bad reason and Alonso is smart enough to know that. I get the sense that the only reason Ultimate is still around is because Bendis wants to keep writing Ultimate Spider-Man. They just seem way too content to throw away characters and try to replace them with poor substitutes. I'm guessing that the moment Bendis leaves Ultimate is the same moment Ultimate ends for good.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

    X-men Supreme

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •