Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Why Star Wars Needs A Complete Reboot

Brett White explains why it would be a great idea for Marvel and Disney to jettison the Expanded Universe and start Star Wars over, fresh.

Full article here.

Not really. Star Wars is such a gigantic setting they can pretty much write about anything within the span of tens of thousands of years of timeline to work with. They can just build new stories in a universe than throw away decades of work.

That being said as these books are going to be movie marketing material primarily they'll probably just be about Skywalkers/Solo's/etc. so will require a total reboot.

Isn't that exactly what they're doing. The only thing currently cannon is the six films, Clone Wars, and Rebels.
    EU is being killed because there won't be any EU just the star wars universe. Like how Microsoft has done with Halo.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

Another reason to reboot: The novels really made a giant mess of things. Zahn's first trilogy was pretty good, but then the Kevin J. Anderson trilogy was terrible, especially the transportation of an entire star fleet. After that was a series of "new death stars" and terrible stories, then came the gigantic 19-novel War that was 17 novels too long. Then a couple more gigantic stories that were too long .....

Just wipe it clean. Movies are canon, and I guess the Clone Wars cartoons even though I know nothing about them but they're what got the new generation into Star Wars.

If they axe everything from the EU (most of which is better than the main canon material on pretty much every possible level) SW is dead to me. I already think making more movies is just pointless and from the looks of things this is just going to be another Superman Returns or ST Into Darkness. A big homage to the old movies and nothing else. Them eliminating things like Bane trilogy, Thrawn trilogy, The Old Republic era, Plagueis, the stuff done with Vader adapting to his new life as a cyborg, Kyle Katarn, Jaden Korr will be the straw that breaks the Camels back.

Technically, a lot of the EU has been 'rebooted' already. The "Clone Wars" CG series-produced by Lucas-ignored a great deal of what had already been written about that era in the comics/novels/video games. There's quite a few reasons why the continuity doesn't match up, the biggest being the Mandalorians (The race from which Jango and Boba Fett's armor comes from) which prompted one of the EU writers to quit.

The Star Wars series recently released by Dark Horse also largely ignored what came before in the ANH-ESB era.

As much as I've enjoyed many of the novels, games, and Dark Horse comics, I'd keep just the six movies (especially the classic three, Episodes IV through VI) and the Clone Wars cartoons as canon. That way, Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm's creators can build something consistent without getting tangled up in Expanded Universe continuity.

hmm. I figure I'll sell all my prose novels of the Expanded Universe. I'm saying 'whatever' to the reboot. it will either happen or not happen. At what point does a "reboot" take place? Episode I? Episode IV? 500 years before episode I? We'll see-- or not..

I sympathize, but most of those storylines are self-contained and done. As with classic Star Trek or various superhero titles, you can always revisit the books or DVDs. I'm willing to give another expanded Star Wars universe the benefit of the doubt.

I can see the pros and cons to this, although it's not like stuff like the CG Clone Wars series have bothered to follow established EU canon.

The part of the EU that I've always had a problem with is the Post-Return of the Jedi/Rebellion material. I didn't like the thematic direction from day one of Dark Empire. When you get to crap like the Vong...eh. Wipe it and I could care less. As a fan, I had a much different idea of how I wanted to see things progress after the Battle of Endor.

However, there is little to no reason to wipe out anything prior to the Clone Wars era.* The KOTOR setting, thanks to the Bioware game first and foremost, was the best thing to happen to Star Wars since The Empire Strikes Back.

*I'd be all on board with a reboot of the prequel movies. Ditch the Anakin as a child (I'm thinking an actor along the lines of a young Christian Bale) and all the nonsense and make a good movie. The basics gist can remain the same. Just do quick so the brilliant Ian McDiarmid gets too old!
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Ah yes: we should have a rebooted Star Wars EU for the NEW fans, because they've supported the franchise these last 30 years+.

If there had been no EU and the interest maintained by it, there would be no Episode VII in 2015.

The only thing in Star Wars that should be rebooted is the prequel trilogy.

Ever since the first movie the franchise has always been about a huge universe full of stories, with the movie itself only focusing on one of those stories. Everyone in the cantina scene had their own story somewhere, Obi-Wan and Luke were just two more patrons and Han and Chewie were just two more pilots. The expanded universe actually made that universe happen. Is it messy? Yes. Is it confusing? Yes. But thats the point. That someone can look into the life of someone who was just a passing figure in the movies is great. We don't have to sit and imagine "Well this world seems fleshed out," we know it is fleshed out and that is much better than fakery.

Personally, I think the best approach is the one that's existed to date: until and unless it's directly contradicted on screen, it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytwyng View Post
    Personally, I think the best approach is the one that's existed to date: until and unless it's directly contradicted on screen, it counts.
    This. No reason to reboot anything when Star Wars EU forever operated on simple rule: if something contradicts movies then its wrong and movie is right.
    lots of dots