Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Inhumanity: The Superior Spider-Man, #1

When New York City suffers another disaster, Otto sees an opportunity to study Inhuman tech that winds up taking a personal turn in Christos Gage and Stephanie Hans' "Inhumanity: The Superior Spider-Man" #1.

Full review here.

Issues like this are what I'm going to miss the most. :(

Quote Originally Posted by UChess View Post
    Issues like this are what I'm going to miss the most. :(
    Same. This was a great story. I really hope that Otto makes it out of Superior Spider-MAn's ending in tact. Stories like this are what make him such an interesting character. Can we get a Gage written Doc Ock title? Please? <.<

The dialogue in this about love made me really think that Otto is going to wind up sacrificing everything himself for Anna Maria.

People forget sometimes that deep,down pass the arrogance and assholery there is good in Spock. Issues like this help remind that.

Glad I managed to pluck the last copy of this off the shelves at my LCS; really enjoyed yet another great SSM story from Gage.

Thanks so much, guys! All credit to the amazing Stephanie Hans for her powerful art. So glad you liked it.

Best,

CNG

This is probably my favorite done-in-one issue of Superior Spider-Man, and probably my favorite Spock moment. Although it's probably tied with the final issue of Arms of the Octopus, where he reflected on his life and wondered what it would have been like if he'd gone on a better path.

Loved this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by christosgage View Post
    Thanks so much, guys! All credit to the amazing Stephanie Hans for her powerful art. So glad you liked it.

Best,

CNG
    I really quite dug the art and thought it was pretty darn good. If I may offer but one mild criticism, it was that I think the ending could've actually been stronger /without/ the final line being spoken aloud. Rather, the art was strong enough as a whole to, I think, imply that characterization without necessarily having to /say/ it. That said, I suspect some people would've missed it if you had done that.

But that is such a minor, uncertain nitpick that I hesitate to even bring it up.

I find myself looking forward to your other projects based on your handling of this Superior Spider-Man stuff you've been doing -- I hadn't really read much by you until now. I wish I could afford more comics, darn it.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 01-18-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaharrison View Post
    People forget sometimes that deep,down pass the arrogance and assholery there is good in Spock. Issues like this help remind that.
    Yes this, God I'm going to miss SpOck. The art, the writing everything about this book was awesome
    Buy The Punisher

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Quote Originally Posted by Megaharrison View Post
    Yeah, Gage did good this issue. Now the thing for me is if that arrogance and assholery is stripped from Spock in the future, will it make him a bland goody two-shoes?
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Yeah, Gage did good this issue. Now the thing for me is if that arrogance and assholery is stripped from Spock in the future, will it make him a bland goody two-shoes?
    There's still the planner, manipulator, gadgeteer, showman, pragmatist, and the lifetime of regrets. Not that he needs the arrogance and assholery stripped to be a good person...
    Last edited by Pako; 01-19-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    There's still the planner, manipulator, gadgeteer, showman, pragmatist, and the lifetime of regrets. Not that he needs the arrogance and assholery stripped to be a good person...
    Yep! I /love/ SpOck for his grandiosity.

Getting quite tired of Ock remembering the good in him one issue and then forgetting it the next.

Issue wise this rocked though!

Haven't been reading Spider-Man for years and when I heard about SpOck I was sure I wouldn't get into this new take either, it just felt stupid to me. Having just finished this issue (reading some Inhumanity tie-ins) I realize I have some back-tracking to do, this Superior Spider-Man seems like tons of fun!

Really liked this story and was just blown away by the art!! Wow, I want to see more of Stephanie Hans! Has she been doing anything else for Marvel, any upcoming projects?

Quote Originally Posted by christosgage View Post

Best,

CNG
    No, seriously, the issue almost made me cry--it was just beautiful. Honestly, it's the SpOck takes like yours in this tie in and the Age of Ultron tie-in that I'm going to miss the most; you and Mr. Yost actually focused on developing SpOck as a hero and had him progress as he interacted with other heroes and began to save people because his instincts refused to be ignored--it hints at depth and character conflict that, beyond the first 11 issues of Superior (and issue 21 when SpOck chose Anne Marie), Mr. Slott just doesn't really seem to give him, especially with the most recent issue (25).

Perhaps it's an effort to make us distance ourselves from him in time for Peter to return (which honestly confuses me, since a Peter definitely died back in 700, so I assume that this Peter is a residue left over, so that means that this probably isn't the same Peter as the original so much as an impression left over, which technically two exist, one in the afterlife and one in his body a'la Kingdom Hearts; however, it could also be that Ock didn't actually change bodies with Peter, given that his gambit involved rewiring the brain--maybe all he did was just that and it's Peter acting like Ock, who then tries to act like Peter because that's how his brain has been wired by Ock's devices . . . . or neither), but I have to admit that I feel that SpOck has kind of been cheated from developing in his own series, when, compared to Peter, he's just so much more ambiguous and has so much more yet to show us.

Honestly, leading up to Goblin Nation, I was going to love seeing SpOck realize how much he had messed up/get beaten, and then follow the legacy he had received from Peter back in 700 and in true Spider-Man fashion, rise to the challenge as only a Spider-Man can. Now, that's gone; already, it feels like he's been written off ("only the true Spider-Man can stop Goblin Nation," as the solicitations basically say), which saddens me, since it sort of validates the fans who just saw Superior as treading water to kill time before Peter came back; the closest we'll probably get to SpOck saving the day is him sacrificing his own mind so Peter can come back or something like that which, while nice, still makes me feel unsatisfied, which seems odd; I admit that I can't really explain it all that well. It's just that it not only feels like it cheapens Peter's death scene (a scene that, only a year later, now feels unsatisfying, given that part of the drama and the appeal of it was that it truly felt like Peter had finally achieved inner peace and could, after so many years, move on. He's done his time; let the man retire; he'd be a great supporting cast member! Like the Flash or Robin legacy . . .), but it again just feels like giving up on SpOck in favor of the traditional Peter . . . .

Okay, honestly, I'm off the therapist's couch now; I'm sorry you had to read that. It just reminds me so much of the Bruce Wayne/Batman where they have to keep resetting Bruce Wayne so he'll be the angsty loner as per tradition, versus letting him continue to grow, perhaps past the cowl . . . Anyway, thank you again, Mr. Gage, for your work and, basically, I'd read the hell out of a Superior Spider-Man series written by you (granted, I'm reading the Mr. Slott is writing, but still), and good luck with Justice League Beyond--I can't wait for that and Batman Beyond 2.0 with Kyle Higgins, to come out in trade.