Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Eastman Sells "Heavy Metal" To New Management

Kevin Eastman has sold "Heavy Metal" to music veteran David Boxenbaum and film producer Jeff Krelitz, who hope to revitalize the magazine's brand.

Full article here.

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

So is this the end of Heavy Metal Mag?
    Holy crap.
    Sure, the best years of HM are far behind, but still...
    Feels weird.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

HM no longer being on the stands is a travesty.

Tiny, Toony & Looney John Pannozzi's Avatar

This is definitely a bittersweet moment, but based on what I heard, Eastman really needed the money, so good for him.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

So when these two don't get what they want from HM, which I don't think they will, will they unload it on someone else or just bury it.

And digital only? I guess that makes sense. There aren't as many shops around that sell it anymore as it is. It was never one of the things I'd go out of my way to go to a comic book store to get, it was more of just one of those random magazines I'd pick up once in awhile.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 01-17-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    Current Pull List: The Walking Dead and Revival

Kevin Eastman needs the money?!?!?!? Surely he can't be out of all that Turtle money yet? How much did Julie Strain get in the divorce? Geez...
    David Bowie fan

They divorced awhile ago but she still most likely got half of whatever he was worth at the time, and he got re-married pretty quick after and maybe his new wife is good at spending money? Or maybe he just wanted to dump HM because it wasn't turning much of a profit anymore. I mean even he knew the magazines sales relied heavily on newsstands, not comic book stores. And most of the stores that carried HM back in the day don't carry magazines anymore, or only carry the gossip rags.

And that's why I understand the digital transition but I think the two new owners bit off more than they could chew, I think they have high expectations that will quickly be shot to the ground.

Tiny, Toony & Looney John Pannozzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Devianza View Post
    They divorced awhile ago but she still most likely got half of whatever he was worth at the time, and he got re-married pretty quick after and maybe his new wife is good at spending money? Or maybe he just wanted to dump HM because it wasn't turning much of a profit anymore. I mean even he knew the magazines sales relied heavily on newsstands, not comic book stores. And most of the stores that carried HM back in the day don't carry magazines anymore, or only carry the gossip rags.

And that's why I understand the digital transition but I think the two new owners bit off more than they could chew, I think they have high expectations that will quickly be shot to the ground.
    I highly concur, plus Eastman sold most of his interest in TMNT and Mirage back in 2000, so it's safe to say that he probably doesn't quite as much Turtles money left over compared to Peter Laird.

In any case, I wish Eastman and HM's new owners the best, and I hope that they'll finally get that new HM movie off the ground.

Hi guys,

I freelance for Heavy Metal and as far as I know, the magazine will also continue in print. Today I just received my contract for issue 268 (April).

Hope to hear more news about this soon, or better yet an interview with Eastman and the new owners.

Llarena

I just went and checked the actual Variety article and CBR left out a few bits.

"Krelitz and Boxenbaum said they want to continue to give writers, especially those working in the comicbook biz, voices through the publication, that will be revamped as both a print and online quarterly. But stories they tell could also be developed into projects for other entertainment platforms the way Krelitz has done through his Quality Transmedia banner. Krelitz also founded Contraband Films, which set up TV shows and films at Universal and New Line and published graphic novels. His Double Barrel Motion Labs also has helped studios and publishers re-purpose marketing materials for the mobile biz."

In short, the new owners said themselves that it will be revamped as both a print and online quarterly.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/hea...ns-1201062182/
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 01-17-2014 at 05:15 PM.

It could lead to an improve,ent in the mag. Possibly a more premium format, possibly a greater variety of contributors and subject matter, meeting or exceeding the quality of the Milo Manaras and Richard Corbens that made the magazine great.

It could also lead to the magazine going to garbage and quickly being discontinued.

Hopefully it's the former.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

As a fan of anthology comics, Heavy Metal has always been a title I'd like to try following. The few times I did however, a few obstacles cropped up. The big one was, it was kind of pricey. The second one, being mostly translations of European material its quality was all over the map. Not to mention, having no serials it was hard to care about the next issue.

Another issue for me, was that there wasn't really a good digital option for Heavy Metal in the recent past (I haven't double checked recently). Once I switched to full digital, print magazines completely lost their appeal.

From the sound of it, the new owners want to put more effort into Digital. Which sounds great to me! I do think Quarterly might be a bit to much of a constraint though. How do you keep revenue flowing when you're only publishing your magazine four times a year? Especially when the bulk of your material is licensed?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Devianza View Post
    I just went and checked the actual Variety article and CBR left out a few bits.

"Krelitz and Boxenbaum said they want to continue to give writers, especially those working in the comicbook biz, voices through the publication, that will be revamped as both a print and online quarterly. But stories they tell could also be developed into projects for other entertainment platforms the way Krelitz has done through his Quality Transmedia banner. Krelitz also founded Contraband Films, which set up TV shows and films at Universal and New Line and published graphic novels. His Double Barrel Motion Labs also has helped studios and publishers re-purpose marketing materials for the mobile biz."

In short, the new owners said themselves that it will be revamped as both a print and online quarterly.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/hea...ns-1201062182/
    Well thats a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    As a fan of anthology comics, Heavy Metal has always been a title I'd like to try following. The few times I did however, a few obstacles cropped up. The big one was, it was kind of pricey. The second one, being mostly translations of European material its quality was all over the map. Not to mention, having no serials it was hard to care about the next issue.

Another issue for me, was that there wasn't really a good digital option for Heavy Metal in the recent past (I haven't double checked recently). Once I switched to full digital, print magazines completely lost their appeal.

From the sound of it, the new owners want to put more effort into Digital. Which sounds great to me! I do think Quarterly might be a bit to much of a constraint though. How do you keep revenue flowing when you're only publishing your magazine four times a year? Especially when the bulk of your material is licensed?
    As far as I can remember every issue of Heavy Metal has at least one serialized story
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress