Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Geoff Johns Employs Lex Luthor to Disrupt "Justice League"

Goeff Johns discusses what Lex Luthor brings as the surprising new leader of the Justice League, and comments on DC's busy TV slate.

Full article here.

So, proof. Proof that this is just another gimmick.

So, Luthor just walks up to the League and says "You're the world's greatest heroes? Well now so am I. So I'm with you now." And apparently the League just goes "Oh, yes, sir, Mr. Murderous Psychopath, Sir! Come on board and take over leading us while you're at it.!"

So there you go people. All the reason I need to not touch Justice League.

A mass murderer bullies his way onto the League, and they sit around brainstorming code names with him? Wow, Geoff, you're really campaigning to make me take back all the compliments I've had toward your writing over the years, aren't you?
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    -- Alfred Lord Tennyson --

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard01 View Post
    So, proof. Proof that this is just another gimmick.

So, Luthor just walks up to the League and says "You're the world's greatest heroes? Well now so am I. So I'm with you now." And apparently the League just goes "Oh, yes, sir, Mr. Murderous Psychopath, Sir! Come on board and take over leading us while you're at it.!"

So there you go people. All the reason I need to not touch Justice League.

A mass murderer bullies his way onto the League, and they sit around brainstorming code names with him? Wow, Geoff, you're really campaigning to make me take back all the compliments I've had toward your writing over the years, aren't you?
    "Exactly how Luthor gets to this position -- and why Batman, Wonder Woman and the rest would put up with it -- will be revealed in the final issues of Forever Evil"

How about people just wait to see the end of Forever Evil? If it goes exactly like you said, then people can just drop it. Not that hard to do. But I highly doubt that is what is going to happen.

" I'm a long-term planner, so I really like doing long-form storytelling. I tend to do pretty long runs on books, because I feel like you can take great, big arcs and create a lot of mythology, and expand it. That's what we're going to do with this."

see he says that, and then by August he's leaving the book as he felt it was the right time, just like with Action Comics, and Aquaman.
    so the League is playing bodyguard to Lex Luthor? i guess that's reasonable.

my question however
    in the five years the team was together no one thought to really ask what was their purpose?
    didn't come up during Morrison's Action comics?
    at the end of the Villain's journey they kind of discussed what the team purpose was. again even Aquaman spoke up more then once i believe saying the team needed some sort of direction. so they can get together to discuss why someone is targeting their enemies and again to pick who will serve on the League, but what the league represents, or why they're together never comes up?
    Clearly Superman thought about what the League could be, as did Aquaman and Flash.
    Wonder woman should've too (she needs a new52 origin, like WHY is she in man's world in the first place because i don't get her even though i read both WW and Supes/WW)

same issue i had when he wanted to bring Cyborg in "he represents mankind's reliance on electronics"
    when you already have the James Bond of Super-heroes (Batman) that whole idea is pointless. same with Luthor joining the team

"What's the Justice League of tomorrow? Where's the team going to go? Are we just going to sit here and punch alien invaders in the face? Because I think we need to do more than that. And don't you think we need to do more than that?"

that's question was asked way back in issue #12!
    no reason it wasn't addressed sooner

Quote Originally Posted by weshes195 View Post
    "Exactly how Luthor gets to this position -- and why Batman, Wonder Woman and the rest would put up with it -- will be revealed in the final issues of Forever Evil"

How about people just wait to see the end of Forever Evil? If it goes exactly like you said, then people can just drop it. Not that hard to do. But I highly doubt that is what is going to happen.
    He's going to walk up to them and demand to be admitted onto the team. They're going to say yes. Case closed.

He's going to walk up to them and demand to be admitted onto the team. They're going to say yes. Case closed.
    He's going to assassinate the High Durlan Queen with a sniper shot and become everyone's hero. I fear anything Johns writes, it will feel like that Marvel moment...but I'd love to be proved wrong.
    "Love is the bane of honor, the death of duty." - Maester Aemon Targaryen, of Castle Black (Game of Thrones)

I might be wrong on this. But hasn't Lex in the New52 not actually done very much? I mean he's arrogant and hates superman but seems to have had only one "muahaha die superman" scheme. And even then his whole plan was to prove Superman to be a menace and save the day. Though that plan failed the Crime Syndicate seems to be giving him a second shot. And Lex certainly wouldn't be the first rich guy to get out of heinous crimes cause he did a good deed or two (though he IS saving the world here)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'O_R'hon View Post
    I might be wrong on this. But hasn't Lex in the New52 not actually done very much? I mean he's arrogant and hates superman but seems to have had only one "muahaha die superman" scheme. And even then his whole plan was to prove Superman to be a menace and save the day. Though that plan failed the Crime Syndicate seems to be giving him a second shot. And Lex certainly wouldn't be the first rich guy to get out of heinous crimes cause he did a good deed or two (though he IS saving the world here)
    He was locked up in a prison designed to be inescapable for SUPERMAN. You don't warrant that much security for jay walking.

He also threw his assistant off the roof of a building. He also performed invasive experiments on human beings in order to replicate Superman's powers. His test subjects died. One EXPLODED in his face, and he just sat down and continued analyzing tissue samples without even stopping to wipe a glob of the man's putrefied flesh off his face. It was still on him hours later.

I'm sure other murders and crimes can be pinned on him as well, if I really cared to hunt through my New 52 collection.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Been enjoying Lex and Cold in FE. Sign me up for this.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

It's a lot of fun. I'm really excited about everything that DC and Warner's doing this year. We're shooting a lot of pilots -- obviously "Flash," which I'm writing with Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti; and we're shooting "Constantine" and "Gotham" so far. We've got "Arrow" rolling. It's really exciting. This is a super-busy time for us, for television, and it's the most we've done, I think, ever. I don't want to get into it too much, because I'll get shot. [Laughs] But it's really good.

Working on "The Flash" pilot alone -- it's my favorite character since I was a kid, so to be able to do that -- and Andrew and Greg are such huge Flash fans. It's awesome to work with people who love the lore. It's very much the world of The Flash, so I can't wait for people to see it.
    Considering how fast he dropped Flash after the reboot, I'm not real excited about this....

It sounds like the dynamic will be:

1) Luthor saves the world at the end of Forever Evil
    2) As a result, his life is put in jeopardy because a lot of villains are gunning for him
    3) The Justice League reluctantly agrees to protect him
    4) Superman refuses and storms out
    5) While in protective custody, Luthor assists the Justice League with their various cases
    6) Overtime Luthor earns a certain amount of trust amongst certain team members, while remaining an irritant to others
    7) Eventually matters come to a head and Luthor goes back to being an all out villain

(And presumably Cold is there as his bodyguard to protect him from mistreatment by the Justice League and Flash *also* storms out, 'cause he's not cool with that.")

A storyline like that seems reasonable to me. If it was just "Luthor gets a pass because he helped save us and also he is now leader and we trust him implicitly" then I'd object, but it doesn't sound like they're taking that root.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziza9 View Post
    Been enjoying Lex and Cold in FE. Sign me up for this.
    +1

10char

He was locked up in a prison designed to be inescapable for SUPERMAN. You don't warrant that much security for jay walking.

He also threw his assistant off the roof of a building. He also performed invasive experiments on human beings in order to replicate Superman's powers. His test subjects died. One EXPLODED in his face, and he just sat down and continued analyzing tissue samples without even stopping to wipe a glob of the man's putrefied flesh off his face. It was still on him hours later.

I'm sure other murders and crimes can be pinned on him as well, if I really cared to hunt through my New 52 collection.
    Note that this is an argument for Luthor not deserving a place on the Justice League.

If this isn't known around the DCUniverse, it's not an argument for him getting onto the team in the first place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darksammyknite View Post
    " I'm a long-term planner, so I really like doing long-form storytelling. I tend to do pretty long runs on books, because I feel like you can take great, big arcs and create a lot of mythology, and expand it. That's what we're going to do with this."

see he says that, and then by August he's leaving the book as he felt it was the right time, just like with Action Comics, and Aquaman.
    so the League is playing bodyguard to Lex Luthor?
    He was on Aquaman for more than two years, even more if we consider that his work on the character properly started on Blackest Night in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Note that this is an argument for Luthor not deserving a place on the Justice League.

If this isn't known around the DCUniverse, it's not an argument for him getting onto the team in the first place.
    The world knew he had been imprisoned for severe crimes. A billionaire getting locked up in a super-prison is not something that doesn't make the evening news.