Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default IMAGE EXPO: Fraction Prepares for Gender-Swapped "Ody-C," Muses Marvel Future

CBR News spoke with Matt Fraction about his upcoming Image Comics series "Ody-C," the success of "Sex Criminals" and what his future might hold at Marvel.

Full article here.

He may not want to start speculation that he's leaving Hawkeye but this interview really doesn't make it sound like wants to keep it going much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCons View Post
    He may not want to start speculation that he's leaving Hawkeye but this interview really doesn't make it sound like wants to keep it going much longer.
    Yeah, that was my sense as well. "I'm not saying I'm leaving Hawkeye, but I'm looking forward to being done with it."

Although, even if he is leaving the title, it sounds like there are at least 6-8 more issues to go...

I think you could take just about any classic story or myth, genderswap it, and put it in space, and I would first in line to buy it. I can't wait to see what Fraction does with this.

I want a creator owned title by him and Aja!
    Saga, Zero, Chew, Prophet, Lazarus, Fatale, Sex Criminals, The Fuse, Rat Queens, Great Pacific, Umbral, Peter Panzerfaust, Copra, Rachel Rising, Mind MGMT, BPRD, Lobster Johnson.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

I can't wait for the ODY C book. Looks amazing.

Still bummed we're not getting Inhumans from Fraction. He's one of the more original voices at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
    I want a creator owned title by him and Aja!
    That would be amazing, so would a collaboration between him and Francavilla, though francavilla is so busy these days I'm not sure he'd ever find the time for it, especially with black beetle being delayed perpetually

Been waiting for this since the last image expo. As a sucker for Homer I am interested in the different take that Fraction is proposing

So I wanted to give her a classic hero that was a strong warrior and a strong woman and a strong mother, and there's no better template for the hero than Odysseus.
    "I want to create a strong female character!

Based on a man."

*facepalm*

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

I'm generally into Fraction's work, but Ody-C really does nothing for me. Gender swapping a well known story seems more interesting as a thought experiment than as a long-running comic series.

Quote Originally Posted by eye of all View Post
    I'm generally into Fraction's work, but Ody-C really does nothing for me. Gender swapping a well known story seems more interesting as a thought experiment than as a long-running comic series.
    I'm guessing you also don't see the point of Joan Watson or Moriarty on Elementary or the new Starbuck on BSG, then?

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cuttlefish View Post
    I'm guessing you also don't see the point of Joan Watson or Moriarty on Elementary or the new Starbuck on BSG, then?
    I haven't seen Elementary, so I can't speak to that, but I think Katee Sackhoff is great as Starbuck. Having though a bit more about it, there may be something specific about this book that puts me off a bit, as if the gender swap is the only justification for doing it. I will give the title a chance, I just don't see it as having enough of a hook to keep my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by eye of all View Post
    I haven't seen Elementary, so I can't speak to that, but I think Katee Sackhoff is great as Starbuck. Having though a bit more about it, there may be something specific about this book that puts me off a bit, as if the gender swap is the only justification for doing it. I will give the title a chance, I just don't see it as having enough of a hook to keep my interest.
    Fair enough! Possibly the genderswap angle alone wouldn't do it for me, but that plus the IN SPACE part has me completely hooked. I'm very curious to see what Fraction + artist can do with it.