Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default THE MAYO REPORT: Marvel's #.1 'Jumping On' Effectiveness

John Mayo looks at December's sales numbers, including the effectiveness of Marvel's .1 numbering in appealing to casual readers.

Full article here.

That's funny, I'm using it as a jumping-off point for Daredevil and Fantastic Four. Granted, I'll get the trades if the reviews are good, but this $3.99 business is just too much strain on the wallet, especailly with allof the awesome Image books coming out later this year.

and NINO and GATG lost about a combined 20,000.

Its crazy to think that Marvel has a 50% drop off rate from issues 1 to 2! That's massive.

Creative teams have to be devastated when their first issue sells less than 50k.

The rates of attrition are also bad. I suppose that's why Marvel has been pushing for .1's and new #1's constantly now-a-days.

It was a really good report. As an economist myself, I can only praise it.
    If any of you, who read this are noobs, read this report and learn, how do you do it properly.
    I would add a little more diagrams and more stats, but otherwise, a very solid report.
    Conclusions are art in itself.

Of course, my professor would probably criticize this report and be right about it, but never mind the bollocks.
    It did what it was suppose to do.
    Last edited by chakal; 01-16-2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    how do you do it properly.
    Quit relying on gimmicks, first issues, variant covers, first appearances, deaths, resurrections, and reboots. Start relying on making good comics.
    #1, #0, #1/2, #-1, #.1, and then a reboot, start all over. Ridiculous.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Totally agree. That's why I hardly buy Marvel any more.

The only 616 titles I'm looking forward to are Iron Fist and Miracleman. Still like the Ultimate line and some of the MAX line.

It's no single thing, but a whole combination of things, that's driven me from Marvel and more solidly into quality indies like Dark Horse, Image, IDW, Valiant, Oni, Top Shelf, Fantagraphics, Monkeybrain, etc.

It's mixed, but I still dig on a lot of DC and Vertigo. I admire them for not only trying different things but supporting titles, like All-Star Western, when they're on the shallow.
    Last edited by hondobrode; 01-16-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Totally agree. That's why I hardly buy Marvel any more.

The only 616 titles I'm looking forward to are Iron Fist and Miracleman. Still like the Ultimate line and some of the MAX line.

It's no single thing, but a whole combination of things, that's driven me from Marvel and more solidly into quality indies like Dark Horse, Image, IDW, Valiant, Oni, Top Shelf, Fantagraphics, Monkeybrain, etc.

It's mixed, but I still dig on a lot of DC and Vertigo. I admire them for not only trying different things but supporting titles, like All-Star Western, when they're on the shallow.
    I'm also looking forward to Iron Fist and Moon Knight as titles soon. And I have grown tired of the constant dumb relaunches .
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

I'm very disappointed at Daredevil going up to $3.99. Very soon there won't be a single Marvel title at $2.99.

I personally prefer continuous numbering on comics, the renumbering of ongoing titles is getting very tedious. Of course, in Marvel's case, it's all about the money. Let's hope DC don't start the renumbering game.
    Recently read: Loki Agent of Asgard, ANM She-Hulk, Daredevil Reborn. Currently reading: Golden Age Marvel Comics Omnibus, Daredevil 2011-2014 (Vol. 3), Turok Dinosaur Hunter, Doc Savage.