Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Higgins Says Goodbye to "Nightwing" in March

Original New 52 "Nightwing" writer Kyle Higgins will leave the series for good after March's "Nightwing" #29, making room for a new creative team.

Full article here.

Can't blame him. I don't think he ever really got to build up momentum in the earlier parts of his run due to having to tie into what Snyder was doing on Batman.

The move to Chicago was a good idea though.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

i was hesitant about Higgins in the first place, but he won me over with above average stories. Dick as "Prince of Gotham" really sounded interesting. I really liked the idea of Dick going all-in on Amusement Mile, even if it crashed and burned a few issues later. And the series really hit its stride with the Chicago arc.

Higgins' run on Nightwing will best be remembered for interference from the main Batman line and solid-good (if ultimately forgettable) stories.

it really will feel like a changing of the guard with the Forever Evil happening and the main writer leaving.

Overall I thought Higgins run was enjoyable. I liked the opening arc that involved Sakio and the circus and my favorite issues of nightwing that he wrote were probably the owls tie ins. The distinction between what sets Dick apart from other heroes is really what made that story standout for me. The Chicago stuff was really fun too and while I thought the marionette arc was a little lackluster, part of that might be due to the shadow of forever evil looming over Grayson. Looking forward to his final two issues to see how it wraps up.

Overall I thought his run was decent and I'm sorry to see him go but then again with Dick outed as Nightwing in FE and a new female Nightwing set to take the stage I'm not surprised by this at all. Hope the new creative team is decent though I'm not sure if I'll be reading it at that point.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

BANNED

I thought his run was pretty bland overall, although I'm sure that was also due to the heavy editorial interference.

Hope that the next creative team has more freedom.

Found this run to be average. Stuck around for the character more than the stories. Hopefully the new team will be good.
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Dropped it after the mess that was his revised origin in issue #0 . . . maybe I'll look into buying it again, depending on who's writing and doing the artwork after #29.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Is this sudden?

I can seem to remember that he had a recent interview where he said he was planning stuff for post-FE
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

This is alright.

I found the book to be rather bland to be honest.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

While it did start getting better after he left Gotham, it still was a bit too little, too late for me.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Felt like DC got in the way of the stories he wanted to do (Prince of Gotham getting axed, exposing Nightwing's identity to the world) and got stuck putting out a lot of uninspired stuff. Pretty sure Harper Row's gonna be taking over the book anyways.
    Last edited by Emissary of Justice; 01-16-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I enjoyed Higgins' run. It had a lot of editorial interference, but he made it work. Also, when he had the chance to breathe, he had good stories. Looking forward to his creator owned series C.O.W.L w/ Rod Reis (sounds like it's basically the Nightwing Chicago idea, with creator owned characters and set in the 60's).
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Dropped it after the mess that was his revised origin in issue #0 . . . maybe I'll look into buying it again, depending on who's writing and doing the artwork after #29.
    Why would you blame the writer for something that was so obviously editorial mandated? Maybe it's me, but I think it's unfair.
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

I liked this enough to stick with it, but ultimately dropped it once Zucco was revealed to be alive.