Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Fantastic Four, #16

The Matt Fraction era of Marvel's first family comes to a close as Karl Kesel, Raffaele Ienco, Joe Quinones and Mike Allred give readers a fantastic sendoff in "Fantastic Four" #16.

Full review here.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

The CBR reviewers are sure charitable ....this one made me laugh

Fraction's departure from the title could have easily spelled doom for this series, but Kesel saw fit to bring Doom to the forefront and amplify the character's threat. In the end, "Fantastic Four" #16 is another issue from Kesel that was delivered in a relief effort to continue the adventures of the premiere family of the Marvel Universe. Kesel does a nice job tying up the loose ends, teasing out some new threads and giving readers a chance to celebrate the Fantastic Four with the Fantastic Four.
    If anything, Fraction bailing out on the title early probably helped since Kesel added some much needed clarity to Fraction's aimless storytelling.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

I love Fraction's Iron Fist, Hawkeye and Sex Criminals but his FF run was unremarkable (and that's as kind of a word as I can employ here.)

To be fair, Hickman's run was a tough act to follow.
    Current Favorites:
    Saga / Manhattan Projects / East of West / Zero / Hawkeye / Alex + Ada / The Wake

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The CBR reviewers are sure charitable ....this one made me laugh

If anything, Fraction bailing out on the title early probably helped since Kesel added some much needed clarity to Fraction's aimless storytelling.
    I agree, while I enjoyed Fraction on FF, his on Fantastic Four has been quite confused and aimless. I have been buying all these last issues and I will re-read everything from the beginning to try to get something out of it, and I am definitely glad that Kesel put some order into this mess.

Anyway, if I may advocate Fraction, I have just re-read the whole pre-infinity Avengers issues of Hickman so far, and in my opinion it has been equally aimless and confusing. Sure a lot of loose end will be tied up in the next months and years, but nevertheless it often lacks of an internal logic and coherence. Not to speak of the aimless mess Bendis Aaron Wood and Remender are cooking up in the X-titles. This is to say, probably is not a specific fault of the single writer, is just a present difficulty of the editors in coordinating the MU and keeping stories focused and on track.

By the way, is there a last FF issued on the way, or the whole story is over with this last issue of Fantastic Four?

I saw this 'season' of Fantastic Four as an adventure worthy of John Byrne but in the end I could have saved a lot of money. And I can't disagree on the art more. I can't stand the Allred art and I dropped FF-statix almost immediately because I can't bear to waste my money on this child-like scribble drawings.

This has been for me, the most disappointing run of FF ever. Wandering story lines and bad art. I just did not care what was happening. Also, how about that ill advised cover homage to Byrne? Way to draw attention to the fact that this title was once in the hands of a master.

Glad to hear that I was not the only one who found this run nigh-unintelligible and aimless. It was just a mess... from very early on (I was a big fan of issue 1). And FF is just as bad. Glad this run is over and we can look forward to something new next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Ishmael View Post
    I agree, while I enjoyed Fraction on FF, his on Fantastic Four has been quite confused and aimless. I have been buying all these last issues and I will re-read everything from the beginning to try to get something out of it, and I am definitely glad that Kesel put some order into this mess.

Anyway, if I may advocate Fraction, I have just re-read the whole pre-infinity Avengers issues of Hickman so far, and in my opinion it has been equally aimless and confusing. Sure a lot of loose end will be tied up in the next months and years, but nevertheless it often lacks of an internal logic and coherence. Not to speak of the aimless mess Bendis Aaron Wood and Remender are cooking up in the X-titles. This is to say, probably is not a specific fault of the single writer, is just a present difficulty of the editors in coordinating the MU and keeping stories focused and on track.

By the way, is there a last FF issued on the way, or the whole story is over with this last issue of Fantastic Four?
    No, there is the Ant-Man / Doom battle to be shown in FF #16 next week I guess. But they already told how Scott Lang wins in this issue. I don't know why they just didn't release both comics this week.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by UnRiel View Post
    I saw this 'season' of Fantastic Four as an adventure worthy of John Byrne but in the end I could have saved a lot of money. And I can't disagree on the art more. I can't stand the Allred art and I dropped FF-statix almost immediately because I can't bear to waste my money on this child-like scribble drawings.
    I have to say I never saw the appeal of Allred's art either. People keep saying he's has Kirby's style but I just don't see it, unless you're talking about when Kirby was doing just about every Marvel book. Once Kirby hit his stride his work really looks quite a bit different, esp. if you were to compare FF #1 to about issue 40 or so.