Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CW Confirms Wonder Woman Prequel Series Not Going Forward

"Amazon," first announced in 2012, was confirmed to be officially dead by The CW at the Television Critics Association press tour.

Full article here.

Am I the only the one who's not impressed with this?

*sigh* :-(

HA, called it before the show was announced!

Very disappointed, but not too surprised by this news. I just think there's no excuse for Wonder Woman to be denied her own show when there hasn't been a problem developing a show like Smallville and Arrow. If Marvel can make a show like Agents of SHIELD, what's CW's excuse?
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Hallelujah! There is a god!

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Very disappointed, but not too surprised by this news. I just think there's no excuse for Wonder Woman to be denied her own show when there hasn't been a problem developing a show like Smallville and Arrow. If Marvel can make a show like Agents of SHIELD, what's CW's excuse?
    CW's excuse is that they want to do it right, not just throw it up on television and hope. You need the right script; you need the right star. And, quite frankly, after believing that the David E. Kelly pilot was rejected for poor reception — it was actually the lack of appropriate space on NBC's lineup — they want to go in a direction that's completely opposite.

Keep in mind that the Lynda Carter series from the 70s is still fresh in everyone's minds. She's not Batman, where you can falsely say yet again that the original had it wrong: that series didn't. She's not Superman, where you can pick different aspects and ignore the majority of the rest: there's not much to ignore.

Factor in that CW is trying to diversify, they want a consistent Diana on film (Gotham is sidestepping the Nolan films, and three or more DC properties on CW already (taking up 3 out of 12 hours of programming time), and CW has really no need to focus on Amazon any more — not until someone comes along and has an idea they can't resist.

Poor hacked Diamond Lil. Nevets F's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    CW's excuse is that they want to do it right, not just throw it up on television and hope. You need the right script; you need the right star. And, quite frankly, after believing that the David E. Kelly pilot was rejected for poor reception — it was actually the lack of appropriate space on NBC's lineup — they want to go in a direction that's completely opposite.

Keep in mind that the Lynda Carter series from the 70s is still fresh in everyone's minds. She's not Batman, where you can falsely say yet again that the original had it wrong: that series didn't. She's not Superman, where you can pick different aspects and ignore the majority of the rest: there's not much to ignore.

Factor in that CW is trying to diversify, they want a consistent Diana on film (Gotham is sidestepping the Nolan films, and three or more DC properties on CW already (taking up 3 out of 12 hours of programming time), and CW has really no need to focus on Amazon any more — not until someone comes along and has an idea they can't resist.
    The CW only has ten hours of prime-time programming. Monday through Friday, two hours a night. They gave Sunday back to the affiliates several years ago.
    Read about the greatest series ever, Alpha Flight...from the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    If Marvel can make a show like Agents of SHIELD, what's CW's excuse?
    Not wanting to produce a turd with mediocre ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. Walker View Post
    Not wanting to produce a turd with mediocre ratings?
    This is CW though. The best they could hope for is mediocre ratings compared to other networks.

If this is an origin on Diana, I'm not really sure why they can't just go the fantasy route in the Xena mold. They'd have to make some tweaks so that the Amazons at least have interactions with the mythological aspects of the universe, but it could still be good.

All in all, I don't really think CW was ever the right place for a Wonder Woman production. The budget would be too limited.

This is really only true because Warners has yet to actually make another version for broader consumption outside of the Justice League cartoons, and even that had a relatively limited market.

They'll keep putting off a WW production because they "want to get it right". What really boggles my mind is with all of the evidence that a Wonder Woman film set in the modern day world could work between both Thor films (mythology) and the Hunger Games (female lead), Warners keeps trying to make a TV show happen.

I could understand a Wonder Girl TV show or even a Donna Troy TV show, but Diana deserves to headline a film as much as the next person.

Get it right my ass. They just don't have any faith in the character. I'm convinced any talk about Wonder Woman productions is just lip service to make themselves look progressive.

Another disappointing thought is that even if they don't do a Wonder Woman serial, they have other heroines that would work wonderfully with a TV budget that will not get touched because Wonder Woman is seen as the most important superheroine period.
    Last edited by BrotherUnitNo_4; 01-16-2014 at 05:30 AM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Oh please! If getting it right was their concern, they wouldn't have killed it all together.

This proves what I have always maintained, Warner bros has NO faith in WW! None!
    Pull list: Almost every Marvel book, Age of Bronze, Captain Midnight, some Dynamite & Image. I AM DC COMIC FREE!

And if you listen carfoully you can hear Joss Whedon laughing into his pile of money he made from The Avengers......
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    And if you listen carfoully you can hear Joss Whedon laughing into his pile of money he made from The Avengers......
    also Kevin Feige
    Support your local roller derby league

CW's excuse is that they want to do it right, not just throw it up on television and hope. You need the right script; you need the right star. And, quite frankly, after believing that the David E. Kelly pilot was rejected for poor reception it was actually the lack of appropriate space on NBC's lineup they want to go in a direction that's completely opposite.
    Have you seen the David E. Kelly pilot? It's floating around online and is a complete mess. She has three secret identities (Wonder Woman, Diana Themyscira CEO of Themyscira Industries, AND Diana Prince lonely single female cat lady), presumably so they can hit every possible female demographic. The action scenes are completely awful with no redeeming qualities. We spent most of the episode waiting for her to deflect bullets with her bracelets because that's the most obvious and coolest action set piece for Wonder Woman, and when they finally did it, it was shot in the most boring way possible. The difference between the action scenes in the Arrow pilot and the Wonder Woman pilot are insane Wonder Woman looked like it was filmed in the mid-90's. In terms of the look and feel of the show, and quality of storytelling, it had far more in common with the failed 90's Justice League pilot than Arrow or even Smallville.

I don't hold against it that the CGI is unfinished or the multiple costume changes due to reshoots ("CGI Pants in this scene" says a note at the bottom of the screen), and the final costume actually looks OK in action, but you would not have wanted to watch this show.

Amazon sounded a bit more promising, and I'd love to see a Wonder Woman show as much as anyone, but I want to see it done right, and if the CW felt it wasn't working, I'm going to believe them. After all, the CW has done a killer job with Arrow, and I'm looking forward to watching Flash after seeing Barry Allen on Arrow. Who knows, maybe the CW will give the Arrow team a shot at Wonder Woman next year.