Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default In Your Face Jam - Jan 15, 2014

After a 2013, Brett believes that Superman's back in a big way for 2014, thanks to the work of creators Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder.

Full article here.

I've said it before and I don't mind saying it again, in Pak we trust! I'd be a fool not to also mention Aaron Kuder as the other half of this legendary team.

Keep up the amazing work and I can promise without a shadow of a doubt that I'll be there to buy your Action Comics month by month with out fail.

[QUOTE=CBR News;18047544]After a 2013, Brett believes that Superman's back in a big way for 2014, thanks to the work of creators Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder.

Couldn't agree more! Pak GETS the whole hope and higher-mindedness that was never present in Man of Steel. When I read Superman I want to be uplifted and know that no matter how bad things get that everything will be okay. This is the child in me and this is why I read Superman.

But Brett, do yourself a favor a find a copy of Superman 23.4. A solo Parasite story with almost no Superman in it. But it's written and drawn by Aaron Kuder and is an absolutely fun and beautiful issue! Kuder's writing brings the wacky.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

There's an article somewhere about how Thor is the new Superman: unlike Man Of Steel, Thor: The Dark World has a hero who is cheerful, moral, and charming. THAT is what's wrong most about Man Of Steel — and the fact that Superheroes says Christopher Reeves made you believe in Superman demonstrates how much you need the right person in that role.

Action Comics brings back the sense of wonder and adventure missing from the Man of Steel's comics so far. It's a perfect complement to Superman, its counterpart, who trips up on that while doing very well with Clark's human side. (Much as I like the banter with Lana, there's no heavy emotional weight or stumbling there like with Lois and Diana in last month's Superman issue.) And Superman/Wonder Woman brings the hero into a different light, rounding out the trifecta.

Forget Superman Unchained — the three other books work together to give the Superman fan base something to smile about. New 52 seems to have FINALLY figured out the balance between its Super writers and their portrayal, raising that sense of fun in the character. (Lobdell's book, once Parasite returns Lois to normal, looks to be done with most past threads.) With luck, no more problems will hit him next year and we can get good stories for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    Christopher Reeves made you believe in Superman
    Or Christopher Reeve, as the case may be.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    (Lobdell's book, once Parasite returns Lois to normal, looks to be done with most past threads.) With luck, no more problems will hit him next year and we can get good stories for a long while.
    It would be nice if they showed that Krypton Returns had some effect on him, though. Or even if it was mentioned, briefly, even offhand. Superman went to Krypton, met a version of his Dad, saw his planet die again and lost Superboy. Not even a blip on his radar judging by Superman #26!
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 01-16-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    It would be nice if they showed that Krypton Returns had some effect on him, though. Or even if it was mentioned, briefly, even offhand. Superman went to Krypton, met a version of his Dad, saw his planet die again and lost Superboy. Not even a blip on his radar judging by Superman #26!
    My impression from Superman 25 was that Kal has already grieved and was accepting of the fact Krypton had to go. That he met his dad was the bonus. But Kon and Clark had little to no relationship other than the two meetings: factor in that a moment of grief over his loss happened at the end, and it's like mourning the soldier you fought next to but didn't really know.

Thanks, Brett. I'll take another look at Superman, in Action, now. I've been wanting to hear something just like this about the New 52 Superman.

I love reading the work of anti-MoS people, their is so much bitterness in their prose...Its great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I love reading the work of anti-MoS people, their is so much bitterness in their prose...Its great.
    You're projecting.

And Brett, great piece, great comic and I second DocSpin's Parasite recommendation.
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

I really love Pak's Lana Lang. She's a better Lois than Lois and a better Jimmy Olsen too.

Yes, long live the Pak/Kuder ACTION COMICS! This is my one and only Superman title.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

I'm going to have to check this story-line out since I dropped Action after Morrison/Morales left.

Such an awesome team! Pak and Kuder should be on Superman forever. Only 3 issues and they have all three been nearly perfect. Hope it continues, because this is the Supes we deserve...
    In PAK We Trust!

Check out my friends Indie Comic Hoods! www.hoodscomic.com

And Check out his Podcast Smashville!