Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Sales Report: Marvel Expands Lead Over DC in December; IDW, Image Remain Strong

Marvel grew its lead over DC in December, taking control of over 35% of the direct market while IDW and Image remained strong.

Full article here.

So, after this headline, we still should believe that CBR does a "fair and balanced" coverage, RIGHT? Okay....

The numbers are the numbers, dude. They can't make up fake ones that look more "fair".
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by flavioeldritch View Post
    So, after this headline, we still should believe that CBR does a "fair and balanced" coverage, RIGHT? Okay....
    How does reporting actual numbers make it unfair and unbalanced?

Not that CBR has ever claimed to be Faux News that I've seen.

Learn some math? Take the November and December reports, check how much sales Marvel and DC made, how many books Marvel and DC sold, how many dollars they gained, compare and if Marvel's number are bigger than DC the headline is real. Simple as that. (I did the math for you, the headline is real!).

wow.
    i'm amazed by some of DC books.
    Batwing lost 5,000 units. at this pace in 2 more months it will sell 0 issues...
    and the Green Team only sells 4,000 units??? SAD.
    Comic Book Deaths 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SvM6adTeY

Bring back Ultimate DAZZLER!!

Most of the satellite Batbooks had "Year Zero" crossovers in November, the lack of which would explain the drops.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

I guess everybody that was talking sh!t about Harley's #0 issue sales, (#2 in Dec) can eat they words and bite they tongue, #1, made the top 10, (#7) I wonder what peoples excuse will be now, smh

How can IDW be above Image in the dollars category on the Overall chart, but below them in that category on both the comics and trade charts?

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai32 View Post
    How can IDW be above Image in the dollars category on the Overall chart, but below them in that category on both the comics and trade charts?
    Their stuff costs more.

The total dollars, not the average price, is what would be used to determine dollars market share. Image had more total dollars in both monthlies and trades, but their market share in dollars is lower than IDW's. That makes no sense.

Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b_the_brain View Post
    Learn some math? Take the November and December reports, check how much sales Marvel and DC made, how many books Marvel and DC sold, how many dollars they gained, compare and if Marvel's number are bigger than DC the headline is real. Simple as that. (I did the math for you, the headline is real!).
    A few problems with that: these numbers represent Diamond's direct sales in Canada and the US, but 25% of sales (or higher) is from international sales which are not counted here. Also, it's false to call Marvel being much stronger than DC when DC routinely does much better in the trade paperback market (not included) and digital sales (not included). Finally, if you take a look at the list itself, a lot of the Marvel titles have multiple issues per month — skewing where books are on the chart and taking money from other books — while DC was announcing the cancellation of titles by this point.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

It's fair to the leader, and the others can suck it.
    CBR plays favourites — everyone know that. It's the forums we all come for!

I assume you mean the bookstore market.

Also, do you have some evidence that the gap in dollar share and unit share between Marvel and DC *didn't* grow between November and December? Because if not, shut up.